tmobile blackberry user making the jump to iphone 5.. questions..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leftofseinfeld, Sep 13, 2012.

1. leftofseinfeld macrumors newbie

After 7 years of the Blackberry life on T-Mobile, its finally time to make the move! I want to preorder the iPhone like everyone else tomorrow night, but can I do it since I don't currently have an account with any of their carriers? Are you allowed to sign up from scratch during the pre-order?

I thought about transferring my number and account tomorrow, but am fearful that they won't let me upgrade to the iPhone 5 a day later..

Due to this dilemma, Im thinking my best bet is to show up at a store on Sep 21st, but I would have to sneak away from work to do so.. Do you guys know how many units per store, or how long iPhones remain in stock on release day?

Also the date posted everywhere is Friday Sep 21st, do they always deliver on the day that they promote? Or is that the day they ship them out to you? Im leaving on a trip on Monday Sep 24 and wouldn't want to risk not having a phone on it.

2. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I can only speak for the last question with 100% confidence they arrive on the 21st.

3. leftofseinfeld thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that straight from Apple, or also pre-ordering from the phone carrier?

4. jonney92 macrumors member

same type of question im on blackberry and going to buy the iphone 5 unlocked from the apple website but will i be able to put my orange contract sim card in the iphone 5 if i got it converted to a nano sim? as i just read on the apple website:

Do I need an iPhone-specific service plan?
    Yes, you do. When you buy the iPhone from the Apple Online Store, it is sold unlocked with the option to add a Pay as you go starter pack from one of the available carriers. If you don't select Pay as you go, you can contact a carrier directly to learn about the service plans available for the iPhone.

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to open an account right online and select the phone that you want, even if its a preorder...but im not 100% sure about this and whether the system will let you.

As far as buying it in store. Be prepared to get in line hours before launch. These will sell lightening quick and Apple Stores will likely be selling out within minutes......and this will likely continue for the first week.

6. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

It is both as long as you get in the first wave of orders.

7. jonney92 macrumors member

has anyone actually found a confirmed pre order time for the UK yet online tomorrow?

8. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I'm assuming the available carriers does not include orange. From what I've read, you wont be able to cut your micro sim to a nano sim. It can be done, but the issue is the thickness of it. The first comment on this article noted that you could likely cut it, then just sand it down a little to make it fit. http://*****gottabemobile.com/2012/...tting-microsim-to-fit-iphone-5-nano-sim-slot/

9. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I preordered the 4s last year, and I never got it until a day or 2 later.
    I am in Canada and apparently here apple promises to SHIP preorders by the release date not that you will get it.
    I also wasn't alone. A LOT of other Canadians had similar issues.

So depending where you live, you may not want to trust the preorder.

10. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

If you preorder, Apple will ship it out and make sure you receive the item on launch day, the 21st. There are always customers that receive them 2-3 days prior to launch, happens every time. And some get unlucky and receive it couple days after. But hey, it beats waiting in line for hours.

11. jonney92 macrumors member

orange are going to be selling the iphone 5 its on there website now to register your interest so im not sure whats happening about the sims

12. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Oh okay. Then they will most likely offer a micro sim that may be shipped separately. I'm not in the UK, but i know AT&T sent micro sims for those that preordered. I would call and ask.