Tmobile Boston 3g? Is it true?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unagimiyagi, Apr 1, 2012.

1. unagimiyagi, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Just stumbled onto some threads stating that Tmobile may enable 3G in certain markets, given the right device.

Can someone confirm what is actually the case in real life in Boston as of March 2012?

Unlocked and jailbroken iphone 4 -- 3g or no?
    Unlocked and jailbroken iphone 4s -- 3g or no?

I gather that the iPhone 4s chip actually has the 1700hz band, but it is disabled?
    I gather that the iPhone 4 chip only has the 1900hz band, which at&t uses. And at that point we're dependent on whether t-mobile has refarmed that spectrum?

Thanks

2. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Go on Hofo or a T-Mobile specific forum and see if someone with an SGS-II or other phone that has PCS and AWS will test it for you.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're stating 3G speeds for the iPhone, that's highly doubtful, as T-Mobile's frequency for 3G is different then the what the iPhone is expecting and I don't think AT&T will allow T-Mobile to use the same frequency it uses for 3G

4. upbraid macrumors member

tmobile would start in northwest first before moving onto northeast, so no 3g on att phones in boston.

5. ap3604, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  6. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

The HSPA+ frequencies used by T-Mobile are compatible with the iPhone so it may be possible.

7. BiggAW macrumors 68020

It varies market by market. Seriously, if you want an iPhone, get a carrier with an iPhone.

8. thewiseoutlaw macrumors newbie

I got 3g in boston on Iphone 4

Using my iphone 4, i was able to get 3g in boston on t-mobile.

However, i only got it in the victoria secret store in Copley. Exactly where a guy needs it, but ... that's the only place