Tmobile Customer looking to buy unlocked 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snarestud940, Sep 27, 2012.

1. snarestud940 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2012
    Hey guys, I've been a T-Mobile customer since they were VoiceStream. I currently have the HTC sensation 4G. I am sick of T-Mobile not supporting the iPhone, so I've decided to buy an unlocked iPhone 4S brand-new. The question I ask is, if I go to my local AT&T store, and buy a new iPhone 4S off contract, will it be unlocked? I remember last year, people were saying if they bought an AT&T phone off contract, it was unlocked. It's either that, or by the phone off the Apple site itself. I would like to get the iPhone five, however I do not feel like spending an extra hundred bucks for an unlocked iPhone five.

Does anybody know if the AT&T store will have them unlocked?
  2. SlyMac macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2008
    I know you can unlock any 4s via ATT when you are out of contract, so a full price phone should be no different.
  3. solo118 macrumors 65816

May 16, 2011
    at&t should have it, but why buy from them. Be safe and buy from an apple store. Or if you can handle a used one, there are plenty on ebay
  4. Diode macrumors 68020

Apr 15, 2004
    Washington DC
    If your looking for the 4S just buy it unlocked on the Apple store online.

Select black/white and at the bottom is "Or get iPhone unlocked and contract-free."

The initial "contract free" iPhones from AT&T were locked - I don't know if they've changed the policy now that they unlock iPhones for users out of contract.
  5. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Jun 26, 2008
    Denver, CO
    take this FWIW...

but you could buy a used 4S, and then unlock it by paying a small fee for like the gevey unlock or on ebay or something I think?