Tmobile in TX & Wifi Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JonC, Apr 30, 2013.

1. JonC macrumors newbie

I'm flirting with the idea of getting my family's iphone 5's with Tmobile instead of AT&T. My main concern with switching to Tmobile is coverage - does anyone have tmobile service in the Dallas area and can you let me know if it is good or if you have any issues?

Also, one of the things I liked on the Tmobile website was their ability to do wifi calls because my house is in the country and my current AT&T signal is very weak with lots of dropped calls. But, I don't see the wifi calling ability mentioned on TMobile's iphone page. Does anyone know if that feature is on the TMobile iphones and if not, will it be added in the future? Thanks!

Jon

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

Can't speak on Dallas but the WiFi calling feature does not work with the iPhone. T-Mobile says they are working on getting it but it's on Apple's end as to when/if it will actually come.

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Do we get wifi calling with the $30 100 minutes unlimited text and 5GB of data prepaid plan?

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

No it's only for postpaid users.

5. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Oh i see! Well i will get the pospaid cuz right now i'm testing tmobile out.

6. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

I'm in Dallas and recently got the iPhone 5 on tmobile -- coverage and speed have been great. No complaints.

7. JonC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback. Have you left the DFW area yet? If so, how is coverage in the surrounding areas and on the highways?

8. Akack macrumors 6502a

T mobile is known to have poor rural coverage. Have family in Frisco and when I visit have good 4G coverage. If you are in the immediate DFW metro you should be fine, but the only way of knowing is getting a TMobile sim and testing it.

Just make sure you have the new tweaked iPhone 5 with support of 1700/2100 AWS band since that is the most reliable and widespread 4G TMobile coverage.

iPhone 5 does NOT support wifi calling at this time, and no one knows if it will be avail in the future.

9. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

Not really. Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Dallas County have all been consistent. I'll be interested to see coverage on my first road trip this summer.

10. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

My ex wife daily route from Plano down tollway to Dallas. Flawless 4G. My daughter goes to school in frisco flawless 4G

11. JonC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the feedback. I live near Waxahachie, which is south of DFW vs most of these examples which are north, but it still sounds hopeful. If it had the wifi calling, it would be a lock with the weak signals I get at my house. Thanks again.

12. coolio93 macrumors 6502

Check out their coverage maps. Then try the phone for a week. Make sure to get the new T-Mobile version of the iPhone 5 for the 4G speeds as the "old" iPhone 5 will be stuck on edge (2G) most of the time.