Tmobile iphone5 questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Soultosoul, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Soultosoul macrumors member

I've read the various tmobile vs att threads but still a bit confused.

I'm out of contract with att and thinking of switching to tmobile. I've had a couple issues recently with them. The main was is I haven't made a call in the last year where I didn't hear, "Hello, hello, are you there? Hello?" and I'm sick of it. Granted very few of my phone calls have any importance but a few do. This all started just over a year ago and att won't give me a straight answer as to what changed. They keep telling me to turn my phone off and back on to acquire new towers. I doubt there are new towers, in fact, i think they lost something but I'm tired of banging my head against their wall, so forget em.

I live on the edge of a small town. According to tmobiles map, I'm right at the very edge of 2G coverage. The girl at the tmobile store told me I would be able to talk and text but data would be iffy. I have no problem with this because I would use my wifi if necessary. I'm a low data user anyway on my phone (ipad at home, wifi at work). They are upgrading their network and I assume they would eventually get around to this corner of the world, but have no idea how long that will be.

I've read about their wifi talk feature but not sure how it works. I'm very techie illiterate, but my understanding is, with a new iphone5, I would be able to talk, and if the signal falters, the phone would access my home wifi network and boost the signal? Is this even close to true or am I really missing it?

I have an iphone 4 and if I unlock it and switch to tmobile I can drastically reduce my bill, with unlimited talk, text, and more than enough data for me. The signal is the only problem, but if the wifi would eliminate that, then the iphone5 would be worth the extra $$. The iphone 4 may also work in this area, I'm not sure yet if it will, but I know att doesn't.

2. Akack macrumors 6502a

T mobile has poor data coverage outside of metro areas but you know that already. Voice calls should be ok but no way of knowing until you use T-Mobile and see for yourself.

No iPhones support tmobiles WiFi calling feature at this point in time.

The iPhone 4 may not have full support of t mobiles 4G bands, really depends if they have your area refarmed. You can test the iPhone 4 voice quality first before you get T-Mobile compatible iPhone 5.

3. Soultosoul thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply.

Guess I read the wifi talk / iphone 5 info wrong. Was thinking the newest ones could use this feature.

Think I'll do as you suggested and test it with the 4. If it works out, I can always add the 5 if needed (or if new device-itis hits me).