Tmobile, prepaid, iPhone 4s... CONFUSED!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by littleexception, May 7, 2013.

1. littleexception macrumors newbie

Hello there!
    I have the Tmobile $30 a month prepaid plan (includes unlimited data that starts at 4G). If I buy an unlocked iPhone 4s, can I just stick in my sim card and start iPhoning?
    Also, will I get the 4G speeds that come with my plan? I read this article "49 Cities Where T-Mobile iPhone Users Can Expect Fast Speeds" and I live in one of those cities. I'm just not sure because I hear other things as well (ex: 4G only works with iPhone 5).

Please help a fellow pal in need!

Here's the link to the article I mentioned:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416666,00.asp

Thanks!

2. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

U will get 4G

3. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

You'll get 3G on your iPhone 4S. Granted those speeds are fast enough to do whatever you need to do using your smart phone, technically you won't get '4G' since the 4S is lacking one band the iPhone 5 runs on with T-Mobile.

If you're in one of those cities that has been refarmed, you'll be good even though the phone will probably just display 3G.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The way I understand it is, the PLAN doesn't assign you the speed. Speed is predicated by the carrier's towers facility in your area AND your phone's capability.

The PLAN controls your consumption amount and starts throttling you AFTER your max consumed in the month.

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

You will get 3G but of course T-Mobile calls it 4G like AT&T does.

On my 4S using the $30 prepaid, I get 6-10Mbps down. On my Nexus 4 which is made to work on T-Mobies frequencies, I have been getting 17-26Mbps using the same sim/plan.

The T-Mobile iPhone 5 would probably get the same speeds as my Nexus 4 as it has the correct frequencies.