Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
After doing lots of research I came to my conclusion that is: tmobile soft throttles (14-15 Mbps) the fast.t-mobile.com apn which is the default apn on iPhone 5( on both aws and non aws versions). The solution to get the old hspa+ speeds back(20+ Mbps) is to change your cellular data apn to "epc.tmobile.com" and the "LTE optional" to "fast.t-mobile.com". Tmobile is doing this on all their new devices ( htc one and galaxy s4 and iPhone 5). If you did this method please share your results here. I uploaded a screenshot of joe( the guy that originally got LTE to work on unlocked iPhone 5's before the carrier setting were out). I found his comment on tmonews http://www.tmonews.com/2013/05/hacked-t-mobile-carrier-update-boosts-speed-for-iphone-5-1900mhz-refarmed-users/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:

CBillups1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Michigan
After doing lots of research I came to my conclusion that is: tmobile soft throttles (14-15 Mbps) the fast.t-mobile.com apn which is the default apn on iPhone 5( on both aws and non aws versions). The solution to get the old hspa+ speeds back(20+ Mbps) is to change your cellular data apn to "epc.tmobile.com" and the "LTE optional" to "fast.t-mobile.com". Tmobile is doing this on all their new devices ( htc one and galaxy s4 and iPhone 5). If you did this method please share your results here

interesting...

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Same here. I'm getting similar speeds as you.

That's weird on galaxy s4 forum(xda) tmonews, and nexus 4 forum(xda) everyone is reporting fast.t-mobile apn throttles you. I will be doing side by side testing tomorrow on both my aws tmobile iPhone 5's and see how it goes.

Edit: maybe tmobile is only throttling in certain areas like maybe reframed areas?

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
That's weird on galaxy s4 forum(xda) tmonews, and nexus 4 forum(xda) everyone is reporting fast.t-mobile apn throttles you. I will be doing side by side testing tomorrow on both my aws tmobile iPhone 5's and see how it goes.

Btw, I just want to add that I that I did the OTA T-Mobile carrier update when I had received my phone, if that makes any difference.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Btw, I just want to add that I that I did the OTA T-Mobile carrier update when I had received my phone, if that makes any difference.

Well theoretically the carrier update installs the fast.t-mobile apn so that would make it slower

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.