TMobile Unlocked 5S, will it work on ATAT?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CaucasionInvasn, Sep 10, 2013.

1. CaucasionInvasn macrumors member

:confused:

Will the unlocked version of the 5S seen here http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5s work for ATAT.

Im not available for an upgrade so if i bought the tmobile unlocked version can i pop my sim in and be good to go using ATAT?

Thanks for the help, im confused over this.

2. nugentjeep45 macrumors newbie

I'd like to know this as well. Apple store is still only showing the option of the Iphone 5s that is shipping with a T-Mobile sim card, it is not showing the option of the "sim free" one. If we can use the one that ships with the T-Mobile card, by just using our ATT simcard, then that will be great. Thanks.

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

AFAIK yes if it's unlocked and should work w AT&T lte

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile iPhones are the same.

5. chabig macrumors 68040

You were so close! If you had only clicked the link on Apple's page that said, "Learn more about the unlock iPhone" you would have discovered this: "You can activate and use the unlocked iPhone on the supported GSM wireless network of your choice, such as AT&T or T-Mobile in the United States."

6. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

I was wondering myself that will the unlocked 5s work worldwide with other carriers and yes i got my answer on the 5s apple page YES :D

7. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Not Version, according to Apple.

"The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA-based carriers, including Sprint and Verizon Wireless"

http://store.apple.com/us/iphone/about-unlocked

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I didn't say the unlock iPhone will work on Verizon, I just said all the phone are the same.

Technically the unlocked iPhone can work on Verizon as it has the same hardware as the GSM model, but the reason it doesn't work is because Verizon won't let you register it on their network.

So what I said was correct: the same phone works on all three carriers, just if you want Verizon you need to specify it at time of purchase.

9. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Correct to some extent, no the GSM model despite having the exact same model #, is not the same phone, its actually two separate units, the GSM has its CDMA portion Disabled (permanently and cannot be enabled in any way) - Yes verizon does not allow phones not purchased through them on their network, but the GSM version because it has CDMA disabled, you are unable to flash it to carriers like pageplus etc.

IF one is buying a phone outright, best bet as I mentioned in my other thread is to buy the Verizon at full price as its the most valuable....today it will allow you the option to jump onto verizon should you wish and in future resale, allows buyer to choose between the 3 major carriers rather than just GSM carriers. hope it helps

10. curtoise macrumors 6502a

Is that true?, if I get Verizon at full price I can use it on my AT&T mobile share plan expiring in 5 months with full LTE and all functionality like a regular AT&T phone?

11. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Yes.

12. gerbilbox macrumors regular

The unlocked one should also work with any GSM prepaid carrier too, right?

13. rockitdog Suspended

Yes. You may not get LTE on a provider like Solavei or Straight Talk but it will work on their HSPA+ networks.

14. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Here are the band differences for the 5S and 5C.
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Not entirely clear if a Verizon 5S will work with LTE speeds in the US or abroad. Seems country specific. Regardless, obtaining the Verizon 5S requires a Verizon contract. Bummer. I just bought a Verizon iP5 so that I could use both networks – knowing I won't get LTE in the US.