Tmobile unlocked iPhone 6s randomly relocked to Tmobile after Verizon Enterprise upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sidezero, Nov 25, 2016.

1. sidezero macrumors member

My girlfriends phone was initially financed through Tmobile and payed off/unlocked before bringing it over to Verizon. She transferred her line to her work's Verizon Enterprise account about a month ago and recently got a new iPhone 7 Plus upgrade. Now her old iPhone 6s is locked back to Tmobile again for some reason.

I've verified this with sim card testing myself and Apple support confirms they see it locked to Tmobile on their end. I called Tmobile and they don't show any locks from their side, but the phone definitely only activates with a Tmobile SIM in it.

Anyone experienced this kind of thing before and have any suggestions?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's weird, I never heard of this before.
    She didn't get the device replaced by apple under warranty or anything?
    If Apple support confirms that its locked then Tmobile will have to unlock it again.
    Try to talk to their tech support and also see if you can get Apple to intervene and state where the device was unlocked and now is locked again. Not sure if that would be up to Apple to fix or Tmobile?
    Its a weird situation for sure.

3. sidezero thread starter macrumors member

She did get the phone replaced by Apple about a year ago, but that was long before we put in the unlock request through Tmobile and ported over to Verizon.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe something during the exchange and replacement process didn't go right and the replacement locked back to Tmobile?

5. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

original 6s was never paid off completely and unlocked via 3rd party site?

6. sidezero thread starter macrumors member

Nope I paid it off myself and unlocked it directly through T-Mobile. I even have the original email from them about the unlock request referencing the IMEI in question. The symptoms of my issue definitely made it damn near impossible to research online because of the situation you reference though.

I did manage to get the issue corrected a moment ago. I ended up convincing Apple phone support to call T-Mobile on my behalf which got the situation corrected. According to the T-Mobile representative I spoke with this is an extremely rare glitch that occurred when we restored the phone. He claims now that he fixed it on their end there shouldn't be concerns with it occurring again with another restore.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced