Tmobile vs unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tominco, Apr 12, 2013.

1. tominco macrumors member

If I have no plans of overseas travel, is there any reason to buy an Apple unlocked iPhone5 over a Tmobile and have them unlock it after it's fully paid for? Is it worth $70?

Thanks

2. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

The T-Mobile iPhone makes sense, as you can pay off the remaining balance at any time to get it unlocked anyway.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

No longer a point to unlocked iPhones if you're not going overseas. If you're going to be using it on Tmobile might as well get it from a store at $99 and they'll unlock it later once it's paid off.

4. tominco, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

tominco thread starter macrumors member

Cool. I will buy the tmobile version and use the extra $70 toward a 32GB instead of a 16GB

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I was half expecting TM giving u an unlocked phone from the gecko since u are not obligated to purchase their plans if u don't want to. Mhhh...

6. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Why would T-Mo sell iPhones from the gecko? I just called Geico and they said no, he's still under contract with them. ;)

----------

Why would T-Mo sell iPhones from the gecko? I just called Geico and they said no, he's still under contract with them. ;)

I don't think T-Mo will sell you an iPhone unless you have a T-Mo account.

7. maxosx macrumors 68020

I must say I'm surprised at all those who actually perceive T-Mobile as a significant difference that will save big bucks over the other carriers. Even the fact it does not lock you into a 2 year contract is highly overrated except for those with their own cellular network. :D

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

For people with only a single phone on their account, you would be hard pressed not to save several hundred dollars every two years by going with T-mobile. If you have several members on a family plan, it works out to be similar to the big 2 however.