To 5C critis - what should have Apple released?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adelphos33, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

A lot of people are criticizing the iPhone 5C for various reasons... I'm curious as to what Apple should have released instead in their view. Let's say Apple wanted to release a mid range product at $99/$199 price (for whatever reason, Apple wasn't ready to release a new free product at this time). How would you have built the phone? Would you not have built it? Would you have added more features to the 5C (upgraded it a bit more from the 5)? I'm not understanding how people would have wanted Apple to approach this. I personally would have liked an even bigger battery...

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

People took the "low-cost" rumors about the 5C to heart and were upset that it wasn't true. Spec wise, the 5C is what they were all expecting, only thing was the price. They were hoping it would be $100-$150 less than announced.

3. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

4. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I would've rather Apple cut their absurdly high profit margins and made it actually affordable. Especially because it's cheaper to make and the parts are at least a year old.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I was hoping for a £350ish device, not a £469 one. Maybe if they downgraded components like the camera, processor etc. I was thinking 4S internals while keeping the 4" retina display and Lightning connector. It could've shaved more off the price.

I feel that this should've been targeted at the price-conscious market and not the spec-orientated market. Most people wouldn't care if it had a 5mp camera versus a 8mp one - it takes photos. End of story. (For most people, obviously not many on MR.)

I think it's a missed opportunity for Apple to sell loads and loads of these while still keeping it a fast, easy to use and competitive product. It certainly won't flop, but I just don't think it'll be a runaway success.

6. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I think the 5C is priced correctly but I was hoping that they would at least offer colors to appeal to all genders and most age groups of say 15-40.

OP, not to be picky but please correct your spelling in your thread title since it pertains to the discussion. You misspelled "Critic". I almost wasn't sure what you meant before I entered this thread. :)

7. Kurso macrumors 6502

I don't think they should have released it.

Read this to understand why.

8. Adelphos33 thread starter macrumors 6502

So people were really expecting Apple to take a $100 bath on the phone (doing what you suggest would imply a $100 reduction of the mid-range phone price)? Apple rarely cuts into its margins...

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

For me $100 on contract is extremely affordable. If you don't do contracts its not.

10. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Actually, what Apple did with the 5C was pure marketing genius. Think about it. Normally, when Apple normally releases a new model iPhone, they keep the previous model around, and drop the price by $100 or so. So what does that do for sales for that old model? Not a ton. Maybe a little uptick in the old model, but that's it. Because there's a stigma to the old model that it's just that. The Old Model. The budget conscious consumer that was likely on the fence about buying that model before may go out and get it, but that's about it. Just steady sales continuing.

Now, this time, they've taken the old model (in this case, the 5), kept it pretty much exactly the same, except slapped a cheaper to make plastic back on it, lower the price by the $100 they normally do, but rebranded it as a new device. What happened this time? It's a launch event, with pre-orders that are selling out of some variant models. Although we haven't seen actual numbers yet, I'm thinking we'll see a large surge of these units sold, compared to what the "old models" have done in previous new model releases.

And people are gobbling them up, because they are not the "old model", they are the new 5C model. And on top of it, I'm sure it's even a little cheaper for Apple to make these with the plastic back compared to the aluminum.

So what have they done?
    Taken the old device, made it for a cheaper price, with cheaper materials, rebranded it, and resold it at the price they would have normally sold it for had they not changed it, likely in record volumes, by creating an image that it's a new device.

Pure genius. I honestly think that in the distant future, Apple will become the case study in colleges for Economics and Marketing classes. They've become masters at feeding off of human emotion to drive sales. "Don't sell them the old device as an old device. Sell them the old device, at a better profit margin, as a new device."

11. nunoascenso macrumors newbie

Apple iPhone 5C

apple did a great move with the release of 5C.
    when iphone 4s came out, they sold the iPhone 4 cheaper. when the iphone 5 came out, they sold the 4s cheaper.
    now, with the release of the 5S, the iPhone 5 would be available for less 100$, but no. they made a new iPhone for that price but this iphone 5C its more cheaper to them than the iphone 5, so they will gain much more money :) :apple:

12. oaktree macrumors regular

Agreed! We will just have to wait to see if the numbers agree.

13. Becact macrumors member

IMHO, they should have made it free on contract. But who knows if they cut that much cost just by replacing a single component (the shell). I'm sure apple has done tons of very sophisticated analysis and decided this course was the best way to maximize profit.

Though personally, I wish we could have had some more adult colors. Black, navy, or maybe gray would have been great.

14. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Apple didn't have to do anything other than make that stupid screen bigger and the whole world would have bought one. Hell I might have gotten one and I love my androids. You make me buy an iphone and you are doing something right. 5" screen is all it would have taken.

15. dotme macrumors 6502a

This. Even a modest increase to, say, 4.3" at around 300 DPI and I really believe the 5C would have been an incredibly hot seller this year.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's pretty much any technology. Most car models don't change much each year, but every 12 months a new number gets slapped on them. There are a couple of tweaks to the phone, such as the radio being fully a world phone.

17. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Exactly because no matter how much you love IOS and apple that screen is too small for some people to read. Wait until all these apple fanbois turn 40. When you have to dawn reading glasses to read your texts and emails, you will be sucking androids teet and waiting for apple to get the crap in gear.

18. kumquat macrumors regular

kumquat

A smaller phone. Between 3 and 3.5 inches in total height. People who want phablets can use the iPad Mini. The iPhone 5 is too big for normal sized hands and pockets. My 4s is already too large. You couldn't pay me to use anything as big as the 5/s/c.

19. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

The 5c is fine. It's a 5 in a plastic shell. They should have made it £350. Not £469.

Why would anyone pay £469 for last years tech in a cheaper casing?!?!

Can you imagine the reaction here if when Samsung announced the s4 they released an s4c. Which was an s3 in a cheaper (yes I know it's plastic already) case but charged just £80 less than the s4 for it? Everyone would be saying how apple would never do that. Samsung are idiots etc etc. what are they thinking, it's a waste of time! Do they think people ate stupid!

Apple do it and its genius!!! People line up for it.

If they'd have gotten rid of the 4s. Put the 5c in its place, price wise, put the 5 next up the line and obviously the 5s as the flag ship it would have made perfect sense.

You want and affordable iPhone? You have too buy two year old tech. You want last years tech in a crappy plastic case! Give us £469. It makes no sense.

I'm happy with my 5. It does all I need/want. I'm hoping for a tiny screen size bump next year. Just a little wider. I'm not a fan of massive screens. I'd be more than happy with 4'3.

Other than that I don't really care. Whatever apple release will be a capable flagship apple iPhone. It will be behind the times spec wise but perform just as well as the competition because its os is Taylor made for it. It will do what's needed, look good and be a stupid price. I'll buy one as soon as the jailbreak is released and be happy with it.

20. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I agree completely with the above. It's spec'd too highly to be truly considered a budget hansdset.

It's not something that appeals to me personally, but there are many members of my extended family who are not techno geeks who don't care about the latest specs.

4S internals, but retaining the larger screen and connector of the 5 would've been ideal for them price wise.

Some of these may have later then decided to move up to the premium range.

21. yodaxl7, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Apple should have had both phones on preorder. Apple should have known that most existing iPhone users(4s and above) would rather have the 5s. That way, they can brag yesterday about a new record preorders. Plus, most people would want to see the colors in person. 5s is about the same in color as before.

Furthermore, geeks know about preorders. Normal folks buy a new phone when contract is up. Leaving the 5s till launch date is a mistake. Sure, you will get lines, but less 5c will be sold. Past few days, the appeal for 5c has wane.

22. cube macrumors G5

Almost the same thing but for $239 contract-free, tops:

32GB does not cut it. 16GB with microSDXC slot would be fine at that price.

23. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Exactly the same thing costing £249 off contract.

24. Vandefilm macrumors regular

Because now they don't sell loads and loads of them?

25. hayden1250 macrumors member

hayden1250

I have no problem with the iPhone 5C. From the point of view of Apple it makes a lot of sense. However, it's too expensive for a "low cost" option. Especially when they have just recycled 2012.