To add a SSD to Macbook Pro, put to the DVD-ROM tray, or put to original HD place?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oldguru, Mar 13, 2013.

1. oldguru macrumors member

Plan to get a SSD recently and put to MBP 15 (2012).
    Option1: SSD to replace the DVD-ROM Driver, Original HD still at original place
    Option2: SSD to put to original HD place, and original HD to replace the DVD-ROM driver.

SSD will be the system disk.

Question:
    1. Which option should choose? What's the pros and cons?
    2. What kind of DVD-ROM bay should be purchased? sata3 interface or something?

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The rule of thumb is to install the SSD where the original hard drive was and move the original hard drive to the optical bay. Some Macs, mostly early 2011 models, have issues with running an SSD where the SuperDrive was.

As far as enclosures/adapters, there are many to choose from. Some folks want to save money and will buy whatever cheap one they find on Amazon or FleBay. I prefer the OWC Data Doubler. It is expensive, but it's well made, fits perfectly, and includes the necessary screws and screwdrivers, as well as a printed instruction manual with easy-to-read descriptions and full color photos.

If you're from outside the USA, you can order the data doubler directly from OWC (http://www.macsales.com). If you're in the US, it's actually a better deal to order from Amazon.

Good luck.

3. AngelOfSoul macrumors member

I would put it on the HDD bay, leave superdrive still, and then get HDD enclosure (with firewire) for the original HDD. Either your SSD or your HDD will suffer a speed decrease if you put it on the superdrive bay.

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Untrue, especially if you're putting a standard hard drive in the SuperDrive bay. I have an SSD in mine, and it runs at full SATA III/6 Gb/s speed, and benchmarks bear this out (450+ MB/s reads, 350+ MB/s writes).

5. AngelOfSoul macrumors member

Well, I have Early 2011 15" MBP. Tried to put Intel 330 120GB in the optic bay and it was like less than a half as fast as now.

6. oldguru thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the guide, very helpful

7. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Just Do it..

YES, a SSD will only exhibit SATA II speeds in optical bay until late 2011/early 2012 revisions..

I have an early 2011 (MC723LL/A - MacBookPro8,2) with a Crucial M4 in HDD position, and moved the OEM 750GB drive to Optical bay.. Works just lovely for me, as many others have stated also!! :D