To all lovers of the PB 12" and it´s perfect size!

ChrisTom58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
6
0
Shanghai, China
I subscribed here for just one reason:
To start efforts to make Apple decide to build a 12" Mac Book Pro.

For the first I wait and see what reactions I get, maybe somebody tells me there is already something going on somewhere, or even some chance it is going to be built.
If this is not the case, I´m going to start a public poll and lateron have a petition sent to Apple for that case.

Please give me your comments!

kind regards

Chris
 

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
2,105
0
London
There's been a lot of debate on this (have a search of the forums) and it doesn't appear to be on the agenda. At least not at the moment.
 

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
548
9
Columbia, MD
I love my 12" PowerBook and I really want Apple to make a 12" (or 13" widescreen) MacBook Pro. I hope it will happen some day. There was a thread a while back where some industry analysts felt that Apple is working on an ultraportable. Let's hope it happens (and that the ultraportable is an ultrathin ultralight version of the 12" PowerBook and not a crippled machine with no integrated optical drive). :cool:
 

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
3,221
0
51st State of America
John Jacob said:
I love my 12" PowerBook and I really want Apple to make a 12" (or 13" widescreen) MacBook Pro. I hope it will happen some day. There was a thread a while back where some industry analysts felt that Apple is working on an ultraportable. Let's hope it happens (and that the ultraportable is an ultrathin ultralight version of the 12" PowerBook and not a crippled machine with no integrated optical drive). :cool:
NO 13" Wide screen.
 

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
3,038
30
Salt Lake City, UT
I'd like a 12" MacBook Pro, but I really don't think it's going to happen. Apple has stated that the MacBook is the replacement for the iBook and the 12" PowerBook. The 12" PowerBook was in many ways a souped-up iBook anyway, missing many of the features of the 15" and 17" PowerBooks. The MacBook includes features (line-in, screen spanning, etc) that used to be in the 12" PowerBook but not the iBook. The only thing that would likely differentiate a 12" MBP from the MacBooks (besides the slightly different screen size) is a dedicated graphics card.
 

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
3,221
0
51st State of America
mduser63 said:
I'd like a 12" MacBook Pro, but I really don't think it's going to happen. Apple has stated that the MacBook is the replacement for the iBook and the 12" PowerBook. The 12" PowerBook was in many ways a souped-up iBook anyway, missing many of the features of the 15" and 17" PowerBooks. The MacBook includes features (line-in, screen spanning, etc) that used to be in the 12" PowerBook but not the iBook. The only thing that would likely differentiate a 12" MBP from the MacBooks (besides the slightly different screen size) is a dedicated graphics card.
Also a lighter weight and its portable. Apple could go even further with this as well to make it different.
 

ChrisTom58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
6
0
Shanghai, China
I do not like the widescreen so much....

I tried the 15" MBP some days ago and it looked and felt enourmous to me.
My 12" is such a handy companion with all the features I need...why get a clumsier one?

I think starting a public poll, gathering electronic signatures from all the people who would like to see a 12" MBP produced and handing this lateron over to Apple, maybe that could change their mind.

I´m willing to undergo that effort...
 

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
3,221
0
51st State of America
ChrisTom58 said:
I tried the 15" MBP some days ago and it looked and felt enourmous to me.
My 12" is such a handy companion with all the features I need...why get a clumsier one?

I think starting a public poll, gathering electronic signatures from all the people who would like to see a 12" MBP produced and handing this lateron over to Apple, maybe that could change their mind.

I´m willing to undergo that effort...
Have you contacted Apple yet anyway? Just an email. Your thread got me to do it, I emailed steve@mac.com. But don't bother if you do it, the mailbox quota has been reached!
 

ChrisTom58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
6
0
Shanghai, China
I did right now, let´s see....

In any way I´ll talk with some programmers today, and try to get the webpage set up.
The page will be simple. One will have the choice to click a Yes or No option for the petition to Apple to build the MBP 12".
Maybe I also add something like an "I would buy it!" option to choose.
Verification by valid eamiladress....hmm, this might distract some people because of fear of spam.

Lucky me: I´m working since 5 months as a consultant for a SW developing company, so I have sources....

Let you know what´s going on.

Chris
 

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
1,651
0
><><><><
I would love a 12 inch mbp. I have been thikning about getting a used 12inch powerbook, but I still havent found one in a price im willing to pay.
 

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
5,699
287
Chicago, IL
The only way you'll see a laptop from Apple now that is 12" is if it's an ultra-compact. I doubt Apple will make a 12" MBP.
 

ChrisTom58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
6
0
Shanghai, China
Ok, steve@mac.com didn´t work

I sent them a feedback in the MBP feedback section, subgroup "Enhancement Request".
Let´s see....
 

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
sorry kids, I think you'll have to except the fact that the 13" MB is the replacement for the 12" powerbook.

Personally I always felt the 1024 x 768 resolution was too small for any real use anyways, but that's just me.

Although I do agree, the white MB's do look a little bit like toys, the black ones are a little nicer, but still not as classy as aluminum.
 

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
1,177
2
is a state of mind.
I don't think it will happen. It would completely screw up their pricing. The MBs are all 13", so they might introduce a MBP at 13". They already know what the demand is like for the 12" PB. Based on my own (non-quantitative) observations the 15" was the most widely purchased and the 12" and 17" where not as mainstream. Although, admittedly, the 12" and 17" PB fans are pretty fanatical about those sizes, respectively. I just don't think they comprised enough market share. I'm skeptical about a 13" MBP though. Too close in size to the 15". My guess is that the sizes will remain for some time.
 

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
614
2
I love my PB12, perfect size, perfect speed, perfect everything for what I need. And I'm almost ashamed to admit that I was planning on selling it to get a MBP15. I've given my head a proper shake and decided that I am keeping my PB12 until she dies and will be picking up an iMac sometime after Leopard launches.

Long live the PB12!!!
 

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
3,221
0
51st State of America
ChrisTom58 said:
I sent them a feedback in the MBP feedback section, subgroup "Enhancement Request".
Let´s see....
I did say don't email that particular address because it wouldn't work.

dornoforpyros said:
sorry kids, I think you'll have to except the fact that the 13" MB is the replacement for the 12" powerbook.

Personally I always felt the 1024 x 768 resolution was too small for any real use anyways, but that's just me.

Although I do agree, the white MB's do look a little bit like toys, the black ones are a little nicer, but still not as classy as aluminum.
Bzzzzzzt! Thanks for playing. The 1024x768 res is fine and I'm sure 12" users (of either the iBook or PowerBook) would have a secondary screen if they needed one, some people accept small screens and some other people want them. I'm staying with this 12" iBook until they release another 12" machine in an acceptable time frame (when I'm ready to buy another 1-3 years) or I'll go eBay and get a 12" PBook really cheap.
 

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
882
0
I agree

ChrisTom58 said:
I subscribed here for just one reason:
To start efforts to make Apple decide to build a 12" Mac Book Pro.

For the first I wait and see what reactions I get, maybe somebody tells me there is already something going on somewhere, or even some chance it is going to be built.
If this is not the case, I´m going to start a public poll and lateron have a petition sent to Apple for that case.

Please give me your comments!

kind regards

Chris
My 12" PowerBook has been a trusty friend that slips easily into a rucksack and can be taken wherever I go. Recently it fell out of my rucksack and dropped six feet onto a brick surface. It dented the corner, but survived without complaint. The pro machines feel tougher, built to last longer (both physically and tech wise) and worth the extra. This is why I would prefer a 12 or 13" Pro to the standard MacBook.:cool:
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,415
124
Location Location Location
Since I did switch from a 12" PB to a MacBook, all I have to say is that I love my MacBook and wouldn't go back to a 12" PB if it came with an Intel chip. The MacBook isn't much bigger (it's wider, but not as "tall" with the display up), and every difference is neglible except the resolution and screen, which are significantly more usable. :)
 

0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
21,576
2,887
I'm using a 12" PowerBook now. I wish Apple didn't make this model :( I would have pushed further and saved up more for the 15" PowerBook instead. I would absolutely love for a 15" MBP. My next Apple purchase no doubt.
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,798
167
Bergen, Norway
Abstract said:
Since I did switch from a 12" PB to a MacBook, all I have to say is that I love my MacBook and wouldn't go back to a 12" PB if it came with an Intel chip. The MacBook isn't much bigger (it's wider, but not as "tall" with the display up), and every difference is neglible except the resolution and screen, which are significantly more usable. :)
I have to agree 100% with this.

I went from a 12" iBook G4, which I loved, to a 13" MacBook, and 10 wild horses couldn't drag me back. The 13" widescreen is perfect when it comes to size vs usability: The MacBook is just as portable as the iBook, while the 1280x800 resolution is much, much better than 1024x768.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
A 12" MacBook Pro would be great- I loved the portability of my 12" 1.33GHz iBook G4, but I needed more power and dedicated graphics so I went with my 15.4" MBP. :)
 

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
3,265
0
Bookshop!
aight, it seems we all want a MacBook Pro mini, so what specs do you want, and for what price point?

13" widescreen 1280 * 800
2.0 GHz CD (2.16 BTO)
512MB RAM (up to 2GB)
Superdrive
AP+BT
iSight
mini DVI (is it technically possible to run a 30" through a mini DVI?)
dedicated GPU 128MB VRAM
FrontRow
aluminium case

Basically a MacBook with a dedicated GPU
all yours for $2800 AUD ($1750 USD)

what do ya reckon?
 

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Apple need an ultraportable. It's a gaping whole in their product lineup and now they're using Intel processors there's really no excuse. I believe that the intense work on transitioning the existing product lineup to Intel is the only reason why we haven't seen new form factors come out of Copertino yet, and I believe that it's only a matter of time until their creative talents are unleashed upon the world yet again with some innovative solutions to plug the gaps in their portfolio where they're getting pummeled by the competition.