To all of you in Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway: I have a question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DoNoHarm, May 8, 2010.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I'm going on a bicycling vacation this summer to Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Naturally I'm thinking about whether or not to bring my iphone, ipad, or Macbook Pro. I will definitely need one or two of them since I'm going to be replying to medical school interview requests and I'll need a consistent interface to type on to respond to those requests.

What are my options when it comes to getting some sort of voice/data plan while traveling in those countries? Can I get something like AT&T's data only plan for the 3G ipad? How much will it cost, and is there some sort of Europe wide plan where I can buy a 3G plan in Belgium and use it all the way through to Norway?

2. amirite macrumors 6502a

There's no "Europe-wide" plan, but you can get Pay-and-Go SIMs from each country with data for super cheap. Just search for the mobile phone providers in each country for a 3G data-only SIM (no contract). You'll be able to cut a regular SIM down to fit into an iPad.

3. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Id bring iPhone and mbp. Get prepaid sim cards from each country.

You didn't say what country you are in. You'll need to make sure your iPhone is unlocked, obiously. Sounds like a blast.

4. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I can't help... I'm from the US, but i just wanted to say that sounds amazing and I'm jealous.

5. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I don't understand the need for a PAYG sim while in Europe. Find free wifi. Install Skype on your phone and get 10 to 20$ of credit. Use the free wifi for your data (unless you need it for on the road...).

6. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

thanks for the wellwishes. actually, anyone can do it. even if you're not really into cycling. this will be my second cycling tour through this area and it's a way of life there. everyone cycles and they have an interstate highway system of bicycle roads. It's easy, efficient, cheap, and you get to see a lot of stuff that you can't any other way. You get to eat the local cuisine without feeling guilty.

I'm also from the states, by the way.

7. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Then your phone will be locked to AT&T ?

8. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

They currently sell completely unlocked iphones. I will be going on this trip in august when the new phone comes out. i guess I am being somewhat optimistic that there will b e ano contract option.

9. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Who is "they"? Are you talking about buying a completely unlocked iPhone while you're already overseas in a country that sells them unlocked? Or do you plan to buy it in the USA before you go on your trip?

Some 3rd party retailers like "buy.com" carry unlocked iPhones that originated from overseas carriers.

If you go directly to any of the official American iPhone retailers such as Apple, AT&T, or their partners, you'll always get an AT&T-locked iPhone, contract or not.

10. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Jailbreaking and unlocking is also a possibility if you have a US iPhone.

11. saunterer macrumors newbie

There is no EU wide plan unfortunately. However, you will have no problems picking up prepaid SIMs along the way. In The Netherlands you can buy a Vodafone prepaid for I think 7 EUR and then subscribe to an unlimited 30 day data plan for 9.50 EUR (they start sending you messages asking you to limit your usage after 250 MB tho). See here: http://www.vodafone.nl/english/subscription/blox/

Will be pretty much the same in the other countries, at least in Scandinavia.

Sounds like a cool trip!

Oh yeah, the iPhones are sold unlocked in Belgium. Got mine at Fnac in Brussels.