Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Apple made a mistake today. That is undeniable. They tried to do too much and it didn't work out. It happens, no one's perfect.

But I find it sad looking around these forums and seeing people curse Apple out for ruining their lives. Apple put forth an effort to help YOU get what you want as quickly as possible. You complain that they shouldn't have done everything in one day. OK, then what do you suggest, releasing everything on different days? OK, then Apple could have released the update for iPhone users today, and Touch users tomorrow, or vice versa, and in any case, people would have complained. They know you would have complained, so they tried to satisfy you, not annoy you.

Apple tried to have a fair day for everyone in the world, so that every iPhone and iPod Touch user would be able to have the brand new stuff the same day. It backfired on them. Could they have planned it better? Probably. But don't curse them like they're a terrible company. Look at the device you are dying to have updated. In your hand you hold one of the greatest products ever to fit in your pocket, made by the same company you are cursing right now. They provide you with an amazing product, then turn on them when a software update, which you can live without, is running a little late.

What's the worst here? You have to wait one extra day? You can survive. Somehow, I believe we will all be able to get on with our daily lives for the next day or two without this update. And I'm sure that Apple is working very hard to, once again, provide you with what you want so bad by getting the update up as soon as possible. Apple isn't trying to annoy you. But hey, that's life. Super Monkey Ball can wait until tomorrow.

So for the people on these forums flipping out at Apple, relax. This is not the end of the world. Just turn on your iPod (or iPhone), put on "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley, and enjoy yourself :)

kain125

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I agree with you completley, but the fact apple hasnt made an official annoucnement about ANYTHING (At and T doesnt count) pisses me off. I wanna nkow whats goin on! Now cmon, u gotta agree with that.

mfs94

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Except I Cant Get It Tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm Going To Colorado So I Wont Be Able To Get So Apple Needs To Hurry Upppppppp

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I agree with you completley, but the fact apple hasnt made an official annoucnement about ANYTHING (At and T doesnt count) pisses me off. I wanna nkow whats goin on! Now cmon, u gotta agree with that.

That is my only slight gripe with them. A small explanation would be welcomed

intempo808

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
At the end of the day, its just a very clever MP3 player... Nothing to get worked up about, really. Some people on here seem like little 5 year old children throwing a tantrum because they can't have any more sweets before dinner or something...

Apple is and has obviously been trying hard to sort out the situation, however, like many others, it annoys me that there was no information given to us or anything from Apple about what was going on and what was expected to happen. What's even more annoying is that we will probably never even get an apology, or a proper explanation from Apple.

Oh well... :p

kain125

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Seriously, a big company like apple should have SOMETHING said on their website. Is ther anything? I think not.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Let's also not forget though, Apple said that the software would be released July 11, they never specified a time. As long as they think they can get the software to us before July 12 they will not issue a statement, because even though there are massive issues right now and the software is clearly delayed, if you have the software before midnight, Apple would technically have kept their promise of getting it to you July 11.

sgtboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2007
Thumbs up to the thread starter, bout time some rational thinking got around here. I'm sure apple is working like mad to get this fixed, i would rather wait till next monday and have a fully working store/2.0 than have a bricked ipod or some other major catastrophe today.

Absolutely agree with sportsfrk214, they never actually "promised" anything though, but they still have 8 more hours left in today technically

kain125

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
To the thread starter, forgot ur exact username but w.e

They did say they would realease it today, not 2morrow, and todays not over, but on the track we're on that might not happen. I know the activation servers are back up, but who knows what can happen. I do hope they uphold their promise, but i wouldnt mind getting the update 2morrow morning.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Apple made a mistake today. That is undeniable. They tried to do too much and it didn't work out. It happens, no one's perfect.

But I find it sad looking around these forums and seeing people curse Apple out for ruining their lives. Apple put forth an effort to help YOU get what you want as quickly as possible. You complain that they shouldn't have done everything in one day. OK, then what do you suggest, releasing everything on different days? OK, then Apple could have released the update for iPhone users today, and Touch users tomorrow, or vice versa, and in any case, people would have complained. They know you would have complained, so they tried to satisfy you, not annoy you.

Apple tried to have a fair day for everyone in the world, so that every iPhone and iPod Touch user would be able to have the brand new stuff the same day. It backfired on them. Could they have planned it better? Probably. But don't curse them like they're a terrible company. Look at the device you are dying to have updated. In your hand you hold one of the greatest products ever to fit in your pocket, made by the same company you are cursing right now. They provide you with an amazing product, then turn on them when a software update, which you can live without, is running a little late.

What's the worst here? You have to wait one extra day? You can survive. Somehow, I believe we will all be able to get on with our daily lives for the next day or two without this update. And I'm sure that Apple is working very hard to, once again, provide you with what you want so bad by getting the update up as soon as possible. Apple isn't trying to annoy you. But hey, that's life. Super Monkey Ball can wait until tomorrow.

So for the people on these forums flipping out at Apple, relax. This is not the end of the world. Just turn on your iPod (or iPhone), put on "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley, and enjoy yourself :)

For some of us this is the last straw.

I've been using Macs for over a decade, and it is only since the Intel transition that I have noticed things get worse. Leopard was buggier for me than earlier OSes, and I have had 4 hardware failures on 3 macs in the last 2 years that rendered them inoperable. The last one was today after all the mess trying to get these stupid updates working. Prior to that I had never had a mac fail in any way on me.

Apple is now a phone and a music company. I don't think they devote the same level of care to their computers.

I'm done. When this MacBook goes, I will replace it with an Ubuntu machine. Apple just doesn't sell consumer hardware that is good enough any more.

rjflyn

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2007
We all know Apple is famous for their 6PM Pacific time releases. Its only 5:30ish on the east coast right now.

The million dollar question though is how does a computer giant have such a server meltdown?

R

mike czech

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2002
619 SD CA
don't have any cola

Will beer work instead? I already have my chair eased back, still waiting to breathe.

It's funny how moments like this make me realize that I have been waiting all day to pay somebody 10 bucks to have the ability to buy more stuff from them. I am getting closer and closer to skipping the 2.0 upgrade altogether after seeing the fairly lame selection of apps available. I LOVE my Touch for all it does now, not really for all the bells and whistles it doesn't have yet.

Peabody

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Portland, OR

I've been using Macs for over a decade, and it is only since the Intel transition that I have noticed things get worse. Leopard was buggier for me than earlier OSes, and I have had 4 hardware failures on 3 macs in the last 2 years that rendered them inoperable. The last one was today after all the mess trying to get these stupid updates working. Prior to that I had never had a mac fail in any way on me.

Apple is now a phone and a music company. I don't think they devote the same level of care to their computers.

I'm done. When this MacBook goes, I will replace it with an Ubuntu machine. Apple just doesn't sell consumer hardware that is good enough any more.

Last straw? Did Steve Jobs come over, hold a gun to your head and force you to do the updates? No!

I admit I had an iBrick for a few hours this morning. I knew going into it that the chances were high, but hey, it didn't stop me.

As for your rash of hardware failures that's a bummer. I've been using Apple products for over 12 years with great success. In fact the black MB is the only laptop in the last 4 years that my boss hasn't replaced within 9 months due to excessive physical abuse, blowing up the OS (Windows), etc...

All hardware has a guaranteed failure rate. It can be frustrating when you seem to be the only "target". Good luck with Ubuntu...

fvalle24

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
I like what the OP said...We can survive. I know I'm super excited for the new updates and the mobile me launch, but I can wait. I don't even want to come close to my iMac. I rather wait until everything can be done seamlessly, and correct. I still like Apple, and it says a lot that theit servers are down. I guess a lot of other people like them too.

GamecockMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2005
Columbia, SC

I've been using Apples since BEFORE the Mac. You won't be missed. Enjoy your Ubuntu machine, I'm sure there are NEVER any problems with those. </sarcasm>

p.s. Thumbs up to the OP for a well-written interjection of rational sanity into a miasma of whining.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Last straw? Did Steve Jobs come over, hold a gun to your head and force you to do the updates? No!

I admit I had an iBrick for a few hours this morning. I knew going into it that the chances were high, but hey, it didn't stop me.

As for your rash of hardware failures that's a bummer. I've been using Apple products for over 12 years with great success. In fact the black MB is the only laptop in the last 4 years that my boss hasn't replaced within 9 months due to excessive physical abuse, blowing up the OS (Windows), etc...

All hardware has a guaranteed failure rate. It can be frustrating when you seem to be the only "target". Good luck with Ubuntu...

Good for you, sport.

I'm not telling anyone else what to do or saying that anyone else should stop buying Apple computers. People have legitimate reasons for doing so, and the OS is still the best available IMHO. Ubuntu is certainly good enough though (and it isn't Windows, which I would never go back to).

My point is that people also have legitimate reasons for being annoyed with Apple. So telling people to have a beer may not be appropriate.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
There's only one thing a thread like this can do, and that is eventually to lead to an argument. So, bearing in mind the excellent advice of the OP, it's time to tuck this thread in and say good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.