To all the people who said Android devices are more open...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by camfunction, Feb 14, 2011.

1. camfunction macrumors member

http://www.engadget.com/motorola/atrix-4g-review/

It was only a matter of time. :D

2. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

What's up with it's speed on the network too?

3. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I love that with Android you have to wait months to get updates

4. Mstyle88 macrumors newbie

This is why you dont buy an Android device on AT&T..

5. Rodimus Prime, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

umm you do know that there is an easy way around that. That has been known ever since the first AT&T android power phone has come out.

As for to side load apps the way around it is there the Android Central "SideLoad wonder machine".

To side load on AT&T it has to be done threw the desktop and supposed to be threw a dev tools. Side load wonder Machine is a 1 click simple interface that does it all for you. Sad the End Gadget reports something that piss poor about how easy it is to get around.

edit:
    After reading the article your post is mostly a troll post. endgated never said anything about the side loading

6. camfunction thread starter macrumors member

My original post was pulled directly from that article...

7. Beezy macrumors regular

Heh you are the one that mentioned side loading the OP just quoted a paragraph. It's a fair point that "open" is little more than a catch phrase. I bought the iPhone because I was planning on sticking with ATT and didn't like the sound of what they do to the Androids. Actually I think there was only one model on the network when 4 came out. Was impressed by the Atrix. Not enough to switch but I like what they did. I hope the folks that get it can figure out the work arounds.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

still going to call this a troll post and then say shame on Endgated for piss poor reporting. I told you all exactly about a way around it and all it requires is a click of a mouse. Sideload wonder machine is made for OSX, Windows and Linux.

9. foodle macrumors 6502

Motorola encrypting the boot loader is old news. Shrug.

10. camfunction thread starter macrumors member

The point is that you have to use software to circumvent a security feature that is enabled from the factory.

11. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

Wouldn't that then be equivalent to JailBreaking? Yeah, you can get around it, but it's not supported or recommended.

By your logic, nobody should call the iPhone closed because all you have to do is download Greenp0ison or whatever.

12. Beezy macrumors regular

Yeah if that makes it open then iPhone is also open via jailbreak.

13. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

The other part of 'open' the article points out is that the phone comes loaded with bloatware apps which are hard to remove. That is intolerable even if they were easily deletable. No thank you.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    This is a non-issue. As one writer put it:

So-called "bloatware", which are included apps to save newcomers time, are also not an issue. You simply don't put them on your homescreens. D'oh!

With Android, at least you have a choice of not seeing them all the time. With iOS, included apps such as the Stocks app, cannot be removed either and worse, have to remain on a homescreen or homescreen folder.

15. Beezy macrumors regular

It can be removed after jailbreak. I just put it in a folder and never thought about it again. There are an awful lot of droid fanboys here for a Apple based site no? lol. What is the point of this anyway? I don't care what phone anyone uses except for myself. Have fun with Android!

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

not really jail breaking. It is something that they could lock down but clearly not making any effort to. It is using the dev tools to allow for it. They are not stopping devs from testing on the phones with out having to go threw an approval or having to pay money to do it. Sideload wonder just make it easier with people with out understanding the emulated.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I just got an Inspire 4G. It had similar restrictions. With about 30 minutes of work tonight, I just removed all AT&T customizations and restrictions, and now my Inspire is just like an unlocked, unbranded Desire HD you can buy in Europe, save for the AT&T logo on the back of it. It's not really a big deal. It sucks that carriers lock stuff down, but that's not a problem with Android.

18. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

it sounds a lot like the old windows user mindset.

19. camfunction thread starter macrumors member

Nobody claims that iOS is an "open" system. iPhone users gladly accept a few pre-installed apps for a user experience that is unparalleled. Android users are always quick to rub it in everyone's face how open their OS is.

:rolleyes:

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And if you buy an Android phone on just about any carrier besides AT&T, or buy one on AT&T and do a little bit of work, it is open.

:rolleyes:

21. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

They may not be fully open, but they are more open.

22. camfunction thread starter macrumors member

ftfy

23. Beezy macrumors regular

Not even sure what that is supposed to mean but I am a windows user fwiw. Android reminds me a lot of Windows in good and bad ways. I used to hate on Apple stuff but I wouldn't be opposed to switching over. "Closed" isn't as bad as it sounds. It comes down to preference tho.

24. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

There's a key difference between the pre-installed apps on the iphone and the crapware that comes with android. The apps preinstalled on the iphone are meant to be useful - they're tools I'm sure plenty of people use regularly. Android crapware is meant to sell you things. Subscriptions to services, or apps that the mobile carrier was clearly paid to include. More ways to suck a bit of money out of the phones they're selling us (for wayyyy too much)

25. camfunction thread starter macrumors member

So by that same logic, one could argue that the iPhone is equally open.