Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camfunction

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
http://www.engadget.com/motorola/atrix-4g-review/

Adding insult to injury, Motorola (or AT&T, who has a habit of doing this sort of thing) has locked the device down in a way that not only prevents you from flashing the phone with a custom ROM, but also won't even let users install apps via email or SD card. That means that when our developers gave us a new version of the Engadget app to test out, it was a total no-go on this handset. So much for open!

It was only a matter of time. :D

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
umm you do know that there is an easy way around that. That has been known ever since the first AT&T android power phone has come out.

As for to side load apps the way around it is there the Android Central "SideLoad wonder machine".

To side load on AT&T it has to be done threw the desktop and supposed to be threw a dev tools. Side load wonder Machine is a 1 click simple interface that does it all for you. Sad the End Gadget reports something that piss poor about how easy it is to get around.

edit:
After reading the article your post is mostly a troll post. endgated never said anything about the side loading

Last edited:

Beezy

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
umm you do know that there is an easy way around that. That has been known ever since the first AT&T android power phone has come out.

As for to side load apps the way around it is there the Android Central "SideLoad wonder machine".

To side load on AT&T it has to be done threw the desktop and supposed to be threw a dev tools. Side load wonder Machine is a 1 click simple interface that does it all for you. Sad the End Gadget reports something that piss poor about how easy it is to get around.

edit:
After reading the article your post is mostly a troll post. endgated never said anything about the side loading

Heh you are the one that mentioned side loading the OP just quoted a paragraph. It's a fair point that "open" is little more than a catch phrase. I bought the iPhone because I was planning on sticking with ATT and didn't like the sound of what they do to the Androids. Actually I think there was only one model on the network when 4 came out. Was impressed by the Atrix. Not enough to switch but I like what they did. I hope the folks that get it can figure out the work arounds.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
My original post was pulled directly from that article...

still going to call this a troll post and then say shame on Endgated for piss poor reporting. I told you all exactly about a way around it and all it requires is a click of a mouse. Sideload wonder machine is made for OSX, Windows and Linux.

camfunction

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
still going to call this a troll post and then say shame on Endgated for piss poor reporting. I told you all exactly about a way around it and all it requires is a click of a mouse. Sideload wonder machine is made for OSX, Windows and Linux.

The point is that you have to use software to circumvent a security feature that is enabled from the factory.

TheyCallMeSaint

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010

Wouldn't that then be equivalent to JailBreaking? Yeah, you can get around it, but it's not supported or recommended.

By your logic, nobody should call the iPhone closed because all you have to do is download Greenp0ison or whatever.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
The other part of 'open' the article points out is that the phone comes loaded with bloatware apps which are hard to remove. That is intolerable even if they were easily deletable. No thank you.

kdarling

macrumors P6
This is a non-issue. As one writer put it:

Sideloading (...) is not enabled, but anyone who has enough intelligence to use Android and wants to sideload apps can figure that out.

Google it, there are lots of articles (there’s a great one on Lifehacker) and tools (such as the Sideloading Wonder Machine and Appbrain) to make that easy to do.

I own a Captivate currently, which had the same limitation. That lasted from the time I left the store until the time I got home. Took two minutes to fix.

Also, ATT has stated that they will be allowing sideloading soon, so by the time this phone comes out it may not even be an issue.

For everyone knocking the Atrix for not supporting sideloading, can you please give me an example of an app that you would like to sideload? Didn’t think so.

If you aren’t smart enough to figure out how to enable sideloading, then there isn’t anything that you would want to sideload anyways.

So-called "bloatware", which are included apps to save newcomers time, are also not an issue. You simply don't put them on your homescreens. D'oh!

With Android, at least you have a choice of not seeing them all the time. With iOS, included apps such as the Stocks app, cannot be removed either and worse, have to remain on a homescreen or homescreen folder.

Beezy

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
This is a non-issue. As one writer put it:

So-called "bloatware", which are included apps to save newcomers time, are also not an issue. You simply don't put them on your homescreens. D'oh!

With Android, at least you have a choice of not seeing them all the time. With iOS, included apps such as the Stocks app, cannot be removed either and worse, have to remain on a homescreen or homescreen folder.

It can be removed after jailbreak. I just put it in a folder and never thought about it again. There are an awful lot of droid fanboys here for a Apple based site no? lol. What is the point of this anyway? I don't care what phone anyone uses except for myself. Have fun with Android!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Wouldn't that then be equivalent to JailBreaking? Yeah, you can get around it, but it's not supported or recommended.

By your logic, nobody should call the iPhone closed because all you have to do is download Greenp0ison or whatever.

not really jail breaking. It is something that they could lock down but clearly not making any effort to. It is using the dev tools to allow for it. They are not stopping devs from testing on the phones with out having to go threw an approval or having to pay money to do it. Sideload wonder just make it easier with people with out understanding the emulated.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I just got an Inspire 4G. It had similar restrictions. With about 30 minutes of work tonight, I just removed all AT&T customizations and restrictions, and now my Inspire is just like an unlocked, unbranded Desire HD you can buy in Europe, save for the AT&T logo on the back of it. It's not really a big deal. It sucks that carriers lock stuff down, but that's not a problem with Android.

camfunction

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
With iOS, included apps such as the Stocks app, cannot be removed either and worse, have to remain on a homescreen or homescreen folder.

Nobody claims that iOS is an "open" system. iPhone users gladly accept a few pre-installed apps for a user experience that is unparalleled. Android users are always quick to rub it in everyone's face how open their OS is.

:rolleyes:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Nobody claims that iOS is an "open" system. iPhone users gladly accept a few pre-installed apps for a user experience that is unparalleled. Android users are always quick to rub it in everyone's face how open their OS is.

And if you buy an Android phone on just about any carrier besides AT&T, or buy one on AT&T and do a little bit of work, it is open.

camfunction

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
i just got an iphone 4. It had similar restrictions. With about 2 minutes of work tonight, i just removed all apple customizations and restrictions, and now my iphone is just like an unlocked, unbranded iphone you can buy in europe. It's not really a big deal. It sucks that carriers lock stuff down, but that's not a problem with iphone.

ftfy

Beezy

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
it sounds a lot like the old windows user mindset.

Not even sure what that is supposed to mean but I am a windows user fwiw. Android reminds me a lot of Windows in good and bad ways. I used to hate on Apple stuff but I wouldn't be opposed to switching over. "Closed" isn't as bad as it sounds. It comes down to preference tho.

Dumbledorelives

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010

There's a key difference between the pre-installed apps on the iphone and the crapware that comes with android. The apps preinstalled on the iphone are meant to be useful - they're tools I'm sure plenty of people use regularly. Android crapware is meant to sell you things. Subscriptions to services, or apps that the mobile carrier was clearly paid to include. More ways to suck a bit of money out of the phones they're selling us (for wayyyy too much)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.