To All Those Who Think Any Part of Fox is Real News Organization

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AP_piano295, Apr 21, 2012.

1. AP_piano295, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

FOX created "The Investigators" to rival the show "60 Minutes" here's what happened when the show attempted to do a story on Monsanto Farm's hormone RGBH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL1pKlnhvg0

Welcome to the USA how much money is your life worth?

2. rdowns, Apr 21, 2012

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pretty sure we've discussed this here before. No surprises. If you don't think this goes on at CBS, NBC, CNN or ABC, you've got your head in the sand.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

4. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fixed

Thank you^^

5. MorphingDragon, Apr 21, 2012

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

America authorizing and hiding harmful substances?

[​IMG]

Also this is very old, MAF is very paranoid and a lot of Monsanto product doesn't get through. When farmers found out they made a bit of noise to Fonterra.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The woman who thought that she was going to join Fox "News" to do some actual investigating and truth telling is painfully naive.

This whole story makes me yearn for the days when broadcasters actually stood up to corporations and their lawyers. When I was growing up, it seemed like somebody was suing CBS over a 60 Minutes story at least once or twice a year.

But that was when CBS, and other broadcasters, had the stomach for a fight. That was when news operations were independent, before they became just another form of "entertainment", answerable to the corporate bottom line.

7. 184550, Apr 21, 2012

184550 Guest

This reminds me of this thread.

As rdowns already pointed out, this happens, to some degree, at any news organization.

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think if this didn't happen at Fox news, then it really would be news.:D

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

10. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

It's been brought up in previous threads, the basic gist of the conversation being "Turns out that news stations are actually not obligated to tell the truth by the law".

I don't recall ever reading about the actual story which was functionally censored and suppressed.

Ie* You're being fed a potentially carcinogenic compound easily absorbed by the human body which was barely tested before being cleared by the FDA.

If people have gotten to the point where this is the sort of thing we just shrug off as an "oh well" event than I'm a little more worried about America and the human race as a whole than I was 15 minutes ago (only a little more worried mind there's a limit to how your expectations can fall).

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They should take the same 'care' as with new drug testing.

People die just waiting for a drug to be approved for their ailment.

12. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

There's a-lot more to consider when approving a drug for human testing than that.

Often there is a drug already to known to provide at least some benefit. If you stop giving someone a drug known to have at least some beneficial effects and start administering an experimental drug without proven benefit (or at least without proven greater benefit) than you risk people getting sicker and dying (and that's just if the drug doesn't work).

If you give it to people and it turns out to have un-expected highly dangerous side effects what then?

It's hard to deal with the reality of someone getting sick and dying when a cure might exist. But there's a reason that its' done this way.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If they are terminal, I doubt they would really care, as there is nothing as dangerous as predicted death.

They want into these trials, but unfortunately they may get into the control group, which means sayonara.

Only some guy in Switzerland really knows if they are getting the drug or just a placebo.

14. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

And if you don't have a control group?

15. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

in the UK we see Fox news as a total joke, and go to their videos in comedic pursuit. my favourite was their coverage of mass effect.

16. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Fox "News" is what I imagine a news channel run by Jeremy Clarkson would be like. There would be a graphic that says "The loudest news channel in the world".

17. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

1 hour a week for top gear is enough for me, every day on the news? you would have a suicidal nation!

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

But it would be fair and balanced as he would equitably shout down the Hampster and Captain Slow on every report.

19. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

imagine the number of apologies with all the increased time on air, there would need to be one per week! I wonder how many nations he could offend...

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Then no one is helped, perhaps soon enough.

And if there is a control group, and it works, you have sentenced those people to an early death.

Lab testing should be enough, to allow those who wish to try it the opportunity to do so. God knows Cancer treatment is still far more Art than Science anyway.

I see a lot of "let's try this, let's try that" in my travels.

They already feel like Guinea pigs, so why not ask them?

22. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

A news channel with Clarkson, Hammond, and Capt. Slow would be awesome. Between them, Stewart, and Colbert, who would need real news shows?

Every investigative report by Clarkson would have it end in an explosion with a half-naked woman standing in front of it.

I may not be informed correctly, but at least I would be better entertained than watching Fox News.... :p

23. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

If there is no control group there is no way to establish if the drug is actually working. Or more probably (as most control groups now are not given a placebo but an older drug) there is no way to conclusively know which drugs are actually working better.

Treating cancer is not an art, it is highly complex science there are thousands of variables to consider. People say lets try this lets try that because different treatments have very different effects on different people. Many new drugs being developed target people with specific gene markers.

Science is often cold and un-feeling, this isn't out of desire but necessity if you wan't to develop meaningful results and thus be able to make informed decisions on therapies, you need good data.

If you don't control your experiments then there is no way of actually knowing which therapies are better. Many many more people than are in the control group (or the experimental group as may be the case), will die because we'll end up using less effective treatments because we've never learned what treatments are actually the best.

24. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

maybe, maybe, but is Fox really so hard to beat?

25. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Watching Fox is painful for me because they are masquerading as a real news network while they are about entertainment. So watching Fox taking themselves too seriously is extremely painful.

While Top Gear UK, The Daily Show, and Colbert Report don't take themselves seriously and I know they are an entertainment show.