To all those with Reservations to Pick up at the Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcheng4, Jun 16, 2010.

1. mcheng4 macrumors member

Hi-anyone with reservations at the apple store, lets discuss strategies, how early to arrive, what stores you will be at, and past experiences with how fast the line will move, any activation issues, and what to expect?

I have my 16GB reserved at NYC Soho - and absolutely terrified of what to expect in terms of lines. Not sure what time is best....

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well obviously arriving early isn't recommended because that's what everyone will be doing; however, stores will be packed all day, so yeah, arriving early is your only choice.

3. HotFieryTech macrumors member

I'm not reserving, but I suggest to get there like a day early. Even then you'll still be waiting like 10 hours.

4. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

The best thing to do is to do a drive-by the day and night before. That should give you an idea.

5. caranddriver macrumors regular

Call or ask the day or two before to see how your Apple store is going to handle the onslaught of people. But either way - early early early.

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I can not imagine living in NYC and trying to pick up my reservation. Glad I live in Albuquerque, the land of mañana. The iPad reservation line only had about 8 people (including myself) on launch day. I'll still get there early, however.

7. ItsThatKush macrumors regular

I'm going to set up my tent tonight.

No but seriously... i reserved pretty early in the day, I'll probably show up at 5:30-6am before the 7am opening.

8. mcheng4 thread starter macrumors member

i kno...my brain was all jumbled surprised i got thru to the reservation page - i jus picked the store closest to me...i should have picked something in NJ near my parents that live an hour south....would have been worlds better.

I was thinking 5am for the 7am opening - but I feel like that wont even be early enough at all.....i wish they would have a reservation line and a line for ppl jus trying to get one of the 1s not reserved.

9. pugnut macrumors 6502a

I have never had a issue with reservations and they always have a seperate line. Just did it for the ipad and had not one issue. In and out.

10. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Id sauy

id say get there at 430 or 5, black friday style guaranteed theres people who took off and are sleeping in their cars at near their local apple store. Hell it wouldn't surprise me if people tried to sleep inside after dark and hide. I enjoy being there early for launches but this time I think it will be too crazy.

11. puregreddy macrumors newbie

That's how I understood it to work, two separate lines and the reserve lines goes pretty quickly...........that's assuming there aren't any issues with activations through AT&T networks; and we know how robust those networks are don't we....:)

12. mcheng4 thread starter macrumors member

oh really?! What cities are you guys referring to? how many approx you think one Apple store in NYC could have on reserve? Then it wouldnt be that bad...i just want to get to work by like 10am...

Im honestly curious, this release is going to be so much larger than 3GS/3G IMO - I dont kno why people even bother waiting in line Launch day without a reservation....

I will call the store and see if they will have separate lines, that would be MUCH better. all the vids i saw there didnt seem to be different lines...

13. essential macrumors regular

i have to work all day, so i'll probably swing by the mall on the way home (around 5:30pm eastern) and if there is a long line i'll probably come back about an hour before the mall closes (around 8:45pm) hoping the line will have died out.

14. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

I will swing by at 6:45am, check out the line. If it's not bad I'll stay. If it's insane I will try and track down an Apple employee to confirm my reservation and make sure it will be there later and swing back after lunch.

15. uhhitsjames macrumors member

haha I started the same topic at the same time. Anyway I'm thinking about going around 4:30 - 5ish. I'm not a morning person at all so this is going to be hell for me. I wouldn't mind waiting in the line and showing up later but with their servers going down for pre orders and reservations I can only imagine what's going to happen when all those people are upgrading at the same time. One plus to living on the east coast is we have a jump start before the rest of the country so hopefully there won't be any glitches early on.

16. Ace R. macrumors member

I plan to check out the scene around 630ish or so. If the line is manageable I'll stick around. But if it snakes around the mall I'm headed to work for a bit then coming back during my lunch break.

If the line is still stupid I'll come back later in the evening.. probably 30 mins before closing.

17. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I just want to know one thing, I pre orderd and I got the confirmation screen, they told me my iPhone will be ready on the 24 to pick up and pay, but I still havnt got my confirmation email...what do I do now?? is my iPhone pre orderd? do I wait longer for the email?its been 12 hours and I still havnt got the email:mad:

18. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I'm still unclear about the whole "opening at 7am" thing. The Apple Store I selected is in a mall that doesn't open until 10.

19. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Do you have an iPhone? If so, download the Apple Store app, select the "stores" button along the bottom, find the store where you made your reservation, and tap the "reservations" tab. If your reservation is in the system it will show up there.

20. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

only the :apple: store will be open then

21. uhhitsjames macrumors member

Pretty sure they make an exception for launch day. Mine is the same way, I went last year for the 3GS, showed up at like 8:30 and there was not much of a line and everything was already underway.

22. essential macrumors regular

our mall opens early for things like this ... the entrances will be unlocked (or select ones will be unlocked), but only the Apple Store will be open once you get in the mall, everything else will be locked down/closed.

23. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

On thing that will make the line go faster, especially if you are going to grab and go, is that the Apple stores now use those wireless iPhone checkout things and you don't have to go up to the counter. If you're not activating it there, they will probably have at least 20 employees and should be able to crank through the line.

24. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I'll probably run by the mall this weekend just to get familiar with it and where the Apple store is (I'm in FL, perparing to move here, and have never been to the store where I have a reservation). Day of, I'm thinking I'll probably get there in the neighborhood of 4:30-5 or so. I'm up every morning before 5 anyway, so this won't be a big deal.

25. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Yeah, you're probably right.

I was going to select the Apple Store in Miami Beach because it's free standing, but it's Florida in the summer so it's either going to be scorching hot or raining. If I'm going to be waiting around all day, I might as well do it inside of an air conditioned mall.