To All Under 18 Who Are Buying An Iphone With Att

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bazookafx3, Jul 8, 2008.

1. bazookafx3 macrumors regular

So i called ATT today knowing that my name must be placed on the Account only to find that on release day you must have your name on the account and be over 18, If not over 18... no Iphone... D**n

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yep, been widely discussed. You need to have someone who is an Authorized User who is older than 18.

3. randomusername macrumors 6502

Wait, I don't understand why people under 18 can't get an iPhone. I'm on a family plan and I'm 14. Could I get someone else on my plan to buy the iPhone for me?

4. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Yes, as long as that person has the authority to make changes to the account, and is over the age of 18.

R-Fly

5. D3lta macrumors 6502a

That's what I'm bringing my dad along with me.:D

6. Pedromiguel20 macrumors member

Im under 18 and have a current iphone. If the account is at the name of your parents who are normally over 18, it's all ok. the thing is that they have to be with you to buy it!

7. Macvillain macrumors newbie

Just wait untill your 18 to get an iPhone. By then it will probably have some new awesome features that make the iPhone 3G look like a babys toy.

8. stagemanagerav macrumors member

It's all about the contracts. To get the new iPhone you have to sign a 2 year contract. Only legal adults can be bound to a contract ergo you must be a legal adult before AT&T will accept your signature on a 2 year contract.

9. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

Im confused, you guys are saying different things. I am 18, so can I go alone? My mom created the family plan, but I am a phone holder on it. Some are saying 18 some are saying OVER 18. Can someone clear this up?

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

18. That's why it's 18 OR older. If you had to be older than 18, it would read "You have to be at least 19 to sign a contract".

So, as long as you are 18 years old, you can get one, as long as you are an Authorized User of the account, and have the last 4 SSN digit's of whoever owns the account.

11. Xplicit macrumors member

Hehe 18 and Under ;)

you can do a lot when ur 16, but contracts till ur 18- never got that oh well

Um, Parents are a nice idea to pay your bills :)

I wish i was 18 again :( well im still 18 but 19 soon :)

12. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

Thanks for clearing it up. I was questioning it because Nickspohn said "Yep, been widely discussed. You need to have someone who is an Authorized User who is older than 18."

13. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I put my name on the authorized users list.
    Are they seriously going to check my birthday when I'm in store??

I'm 17 and will be 18 in one month... and if they don't let me do it, then I'll use my current iPhone to log on to AT&T's website, add my friend who I'm going with and is 18 to the authorized users list and then she can get my phone for me =)

(Don't worry. I'm getting it on Monday... so I won't hold up the line ;))

14. atomicblastkarl macrumors newbie

Not that anyone would notice, but that would be considered fraud I'm sure, and legal action would be taken - in a worst case scenario. You must be 18 to be legally bound to a contract, period.

15. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Good luck, because you are going to need to know the account holders last 4 SSN digit.

16. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

17. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

There are 3 ways.
    1. Go to www.att.com/wireless, click on my account, and then click my profile, and then at the bottom there is a section for authorized users and you add 2 people there.

2. You can call AT&T directly and tell them you want to add an authorized user.

3. You can go to an AT&T store and tell them you want to add an authorized user.

18. Glax69 macrumors member

how do you know if you are "authorized". I have the SS# number and can log into the account online...but the account is under my mothers name.

EDIT: thanks hco

19. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

Thanks hcoteen2008, you saved me! I wouldnt have been able to get one on Friday! Im authorized now, so Im all good. Thanks again!

20. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

Anytime, I'm here to help. :D.

21. korki696 macrumors newbie

i was just at my local att store and asked them if i could do it since im only 16 and my mom will be out of tow and they said yes as long as im an authorized user and have my moms social and birthdate and my id

22. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

So you're saying that they are going to sue me for agreeing to pay them a hundred and fifty bucks for two years?

23. Xelo macrumors newbie

If you are under 18, can you still buy the unsubsidized version ($599/$699), without signing anything? Like if you bought a burger?

24. Xplicit macrumors member

Photoshoped Fake ID :) is the way to go for younger folks :)