To all who are waiting for new MBP: I now show you Temptation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vyruz Reaper, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Vyruz Reaper macrumors regular

HP ENVY 15

with i5, HD 5830 1GB, 500GB 7200 RPM, 1080P resolution -> I can have all of this for 1200 shipped!

there is a new coupon for -450 for all HP Envy 15 inchers, probably to clear way for the new 14 inch Envy.

In anycase this is an insanely good deal. Others have been able to keep their orders below 1000, but I liked to beef up my specs a bit ;)

Link:

http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/hp-env...top/14729.aspx

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/31/hp-envy-15-shipping-for-950-after-rebate/

so... what are you guys going to do?

Oh, and yes i know HP quality is crap, I know its not OSX blah blah blah..

but i really think for the price this is has to be a serious thought for anyone wanting to buy a computer like me.

2. Chromide macrumors newbie

I am going to wait.....mainly because I don't have the money yet :p

Plus when I do buy the MBP it will by my first Mac and OS X is the primary reason I want it. Have a gaming rig with 7 and a netbook running Ubuntu... The netbook is great for small tasks but does not meet all of my mobile computing needs.

3. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

engadget shows 450. rebate now, very tempting...

4. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

5. LesQQmorePewPew macrumors member

lets be honest with ourselves apple/pc fanbois, this is a great deal no matter how u look at it.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Jeez not another one of the HP Envy posts..

I'm so sick of the HP Envy!! Its a fake ass macbook pro without OSX!!

7. LesQQmorePewPew macrumors member

and the macbook pro is just an outdated and overpriced version of a pc with a different operating system

8. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

We needed another portable in the fleet...so we purchased a refurb MBP 13 2.53 a few weeks ago. If I had waited, I would be going crazy...too many Tuesdays have already past. We are pretty set with our OS X infrastructure ;)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Cheaper than yesterday? The point is, why start a new thread instead of just posting in the most current one on the same topic?

10. stefan15 macrumors regular

Good deal but..

Did they fix the trackpad problems?

11. mike8717189 macrumors member

Looks like apple, smells like apple, till you bite it............

12. kaiserben macrumors member

kaiserben

HP crap. Poor service, poor quality, poor reliability... If you want to burn your balls, get an HP laptop. If you like the noise of full speed turning fans, buy an HP, if you want poor battery life, enjoy your HP PC... if you want power supplies burning in few month, HP laptop is for you.

Enjoy HP machine. (you can also replace HP by Acer or Gericom or Mediom or some crappy brands)

13. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I've had HP laptops before and they're not bad. The quality of their construction and the service are not the same one gets with Apple's products. But they're obviously a viable and less expensive alternative. The Windows 7 is also supposed to be quite a bit better than Vista; it certainly is getting some good reviews.

14. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The build quality is not that bad. The display is also very good.
    Yes the old Envy 15 had cooling issues but it also used a Quad Core. The current MBP coudln't handle a core i7 Quad either. Truth is the MBP cooling system ain't that great, what Apple got right was to let their Notebooks dissipate very little heat so it can be quietly cooled.
    With the Corei5 there shouldn't be any cooling problems in the Envy 15, because now the cooling sys. is still the same it just has less heat to deal with.

What sucks about the Envy 15 is that according to forum posts of owners they put a P55 Chipset into every Envy 15 also the ones with Core i5. This means there is and never will be a option to switch between IGP and HD 5830. Thus the IGP build onto the package of the Core i5 is basically useless. Just lying arround there for nothing.
    HP is smarter in the cheaper dv4 line than in their highend Envy line. Unless someone wants an Envy 15 with Quad Core this Notebook is not worth it.