To All Who Lost Use Of Belkin Auto Kit - Let's Find a Replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mkitchen, Jul 13, 2008.

1. mkitchen macrumors member

So if you are like me you had the fantastic Belkin Auto Adapter that had a Aux In and you plugged the dock connector into your ipod and it played through the car stereo and it sounded beautiful. If you are also like me, then you plugged in your new 3G iPhone and found out that it didn't charge. And finally, if you are REALLY like me you have scoured the internets trying to find a mounting solution (cause c'mon now you want to mount it cause of GPS) that can service you like the Belkin Auto Adapter.

There is nothing.

I will not do an FM Transmitter. I prefer it have an AUX In so I only have to take just a dock connector or plug it into a cradle for it to charge AND play over my car... Nothing...

But wait... I have put together a little hack plan - let me know what you think.

Buy an Arkon 14" Gooseneck Mount - this can pretty much stick anywhere in your car. Next, dremel off the little hooky things at the top. Then epoxy an Iphone 3G Dock to the top. Buy the current Belkin car charger that we KNOW charges the iPhone 3G. Snake it and the aux line up around the arkon and into the back of the dock. And finally - dock the iphone and enjoy.

Yes, very hacky - but I begin commuting 40 min again at the end of August (i'm a teacher, have the summer off ;)) and need something by then. So I can wait a little while longer... but I need something soon. What do you guys think?

Oh, btw - total cost would be $70 assuming you already have the aux line running. ($20 gooseneck, $30 mount, $20 charger)

Any other ideas or solutions found?

2. Zathu macrumors regular

Zathu

Nooo! I'm in the same position as you but I hadn't tried my Belkin kit yet, I assumed it would work. The kit was starting to fall apart, anyway. I'm not too happy with my mounting solution either, an all-in-one solution would be nice for sure.

I don't think I'm going to hack anything together like that. The problem with your solution is that it doesn't sound like you could put the iPhone in landscape mode, which is how I'm hoping the GPS solutions will display.

I was thinking about trying this unit. My other idea at this point is to just go with a nice regular charger and get fancy with zip ties and/or a cable wrap with the aux cable.

Out of any solution, I'm having a hard time finding something excellent that will make it easy to unmount the phone to take a call (or work over the speakers well), AND be able to switch viewing modes easily. Universal mounts like those made by Arkon are pretty bulky, I want to find something like this that will work with the 3G.

3. bigjohn macrumors 6502

bigjohn

I'll probably get an AutoPilot to replace my Belkin and get the iPhone ProClip mount and the figure out what to do with the iPod 5G - I want capability for both i-units, but don't necessarily need both mounted at the same time

[​IMG]

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

WOW!

I was looking for a thread about this, and it was right on the top! Yes I need the exact same thing - I need an auto adaptor that also has an aux out port. I think I may have found one, but will it work with the iPhone 3G?

After doing some googling, I found this. Can anyone confirm if this will work with the iPhone 3G?

5. bigjohn macrumors 6502

bigjohn

6. Zathu macrumors regular

Zathu

That's the same unit I was talking about. I'll pick one up tomorrow and see how it works.

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Thanks! Please let us know in this thread :). If it works for you, I'll get the same one.

8. mkitchen thread starter macrumors member

What are you gonna use to mount the iphone?

@Orion - GPS doesn't work in landscape mode - at least from what I have seen.

9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Not that concerned about a mount. I'm totally fine just holding it in my hand when I need to change tracks. I'll change my stance when a turn by turn navigation package is available!

10. iVoid macrumors 65816

So does the Belkin auto adapter not work with firmward 2.0 on both iPhones, or is it a 3G phone problem?

I know my old iPhone always complained about 'this accessory was not made for the iPhone', but would charge it. Anying if apple intentionally disabled charging via this.

11. bigjohn macrumors 6502

bigjohn

Planning on a mount from ProClip USA. They have one for 1st gen, just waiting if there's a diff model for 3G.

12. mkitchen thread starter macrumors member

Have you used the GPS in your car yet? It's almost as good as turn by turn. The blue dot follows your position on the map and you just tap next on the turn by turn directions Google Maps provide. That way if I have it mounted, i can just tap next and keep watching where it is. It works surprisingly well.

13. Zathu macrumors regular

Zathu

I'm thinking ahead for TomTom or TeleNav Apps.

Yeah but what if you miss a turn. :(

14. mkitchen thread starter macrumors member

15. georgehf macrumors newbie

I also have the Belkin Auto Kit and a 3G iPhone.
    The music plays great, it just doesn't charge.

I've read about the white wire hack to get it to play music w/ the 2G iPhone.
    Is there any such hack for this problem?

16. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

17. Zathu macrumors regular

Zathu

Just got home with it from Best Buy.. I like it better than the Belkin one, it works great. It does give the accessory warning, but the button controls work and everything. Not having to fumble my finger over a touchscreen to change tracks while driving is really nice.

18. mkitchen thread starter macrumors member

Well after much deliberation and trying things (I actually bought a TuneFlex today to try it out, it worked but doesn't reach far enough) I have decided on the following:

Griffin AutoPilot and The Universal Flexible Steel Gooseneck Seat Bolt Mobile Phone Mount from Arkon

total cost should come to around $70. I need a gooseneck so the person in my passenger seat can use the device as well. This one is steel so it should last well and can rotate 360 degrees. I'm gonna drill and screw it into my console so i can put it just where I want. Well, at least i finally have it figured out.

19. Zathu macrumors regular

Zathu

I got a pretty nice Bracketron mount similar to the Arkon suction cup mount. I think it's actually better because the neck is a little smoother and the bottom holder "feet" swing back so it still looks great and functions well in landscape mode. I just got this and the Griffin AutoPilot at a local Best Buy for convenience.

Bracketron Arm Mount: $29.99
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7695023&type=product&cp=1&id=1138084373352

Griffin AutoPilot: $52.99
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8673205&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1203815033701

Very happy with the two of these together.

20. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Orion, thanks for the recommendation! Just ordered the autopilot on eBay and whenever it gets here, then I can start charging my iPod in the car again!

21. lakerholic macrumors newbie

I just don't understand Apple sometimes. When iPhone 1.0 came out, it was the AUX adapter that didn't work until firmware 1.1.2 was released.

Now? It's that some accessories don't charge the iPhone 3G.

I'm hoping (praying) that Apple fixes this with the next firmware update (like they did for the original iPhone) because I rely on these units, specifically the Belkin Auto Kit in one car and my VAIS iPod adapter in another car, to BOTH play AND charge my device. I shouldn't have to go out and buy new accessories -- especially from 3rd parties -- when Apple releases a new product.

It's more important to me than ever, with the battery life essentially halved due to 3G (which I won't disable, because I DO notice a difference a voice calls when on 3G versus Edge).

Ugh!

22. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

The Belkin Auto Kit was made to charge as if it were firewire. The old iPods were set up for both, firewire and USB. Same with the V1 iPhone. It wasn't recommended to use Firewire, but it did work. V2 iPhone no longer has charge through the Firewire connection. Any USB power adapter should work with v2 iPhone, even if the message appears on the screen saying it isn't made for it.

23. lakerholic macrumors newbie

Yes, but now I'm having a problem with my in-car VAIS iPod kit, which had no problem charging V1 but cannot charge V2... should I assume that this company also setup the charging mechanism to emulate firewire? If so, man do these companies have a problem going forward.

Sucks for me and a lot of people, I assume.

24. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Rumor has it, 2.1 is already in the works, maybe this update will fix the issue. A lot of us are getting screwed into needing to buy new accessories every time a new product is released. New AV cables to output to the TV, new chargers for the car... Good thing we're all rich. hahaha