To all you rMBP Gamers, what gaming mice are you using?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aevelasquez, Aug 3, 2012.

1. aevelasquez macrumors regular

Im ordering the Logitech G500 with 5700 dpi and the customizable internal weights, but I'm curious to know what other gaming mice owners use and how they like it.

2. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Been using the G500 for 2 years now, upgraded to the newer model of the G500 when my last one stopped working. Very satisfied.

3. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

I have a Razer Deathadder. Razer's drivers are absolute **** on OS X. Unless you're gaming in Bootcamp, I don't recommend using any of Razer's mice.

4. Enjoi03 macrumors newbie

5. 7even macrumors 6502a

Yeah. The Razer Synapse BS pisses me off. I'm not a gamer and I love this mouse too much to give it up though.

6. cjred macrumors member

yeah true.. Razer pisses me off! I tried Orochi and the Naga Epic both fail in mountain lion giving me skipping/Jumping cursor and sometimes does not move at all!

7. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

This is going to my first investment into a gaming mouse, so I hope it's worth as much to me as it was to you, up until now, my idea of the best way to play video games on a PC was with an Xbox controller...hopefully this shows me differently ahaha

8. deerfaced macrumors regular

RAT 7... seems great so far.

Read some good things, and some bad (dead after 6 months) so I guess only time will tell.

9. DutchAmerican macrumors member

I can only advice 1 mice: Cyborg R.A.T. 7 !

I am using it for over 1,5 year now and I have to say, what a mice! Everything works just like it is supposed to.

Some advantages:
    - the wire is very long so no problems with a short mice
    - the laser is very decent. No lag and not even a 'laser-flip' (sometimes when you picking mices up the laser will flip and speeds the cursor on our screen every direction), but not with this!
    - the weight, my first thoughts was I didn't use those weight much, but I do actually. Sometimes I have days that I want to have a lighter mice in my hands, just take of some weight.

http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.htm

In my opinion one of the best mices for the price. Ofcourse, you can buy the R.A.T. 9 and MMO mice, but hey thats your decision!

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Very much depends on the game. GTA, Assassins Creed and racing games are better with the controller imo, but of course mice are good for FPS.

11. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

i'm not a gamer, but i like gaming mice. :))
    I use RAT 9 (the wireless version of RAT7).
    So far so good!
    BTW, great drivers for OS X, not like Razer crap!:mad:

12. NTurner42 macrumors regular

NTurner42

SteelSeries Sensei [RAW] glossy version, love it.

13. Laai macrumors regular

14. Aksta macrumors regular

R.A.T 7 contagion/albino if you want it to match your MacBook somewhat. I personally would have gone for the Cyborg M.M.O 7 if it had come in a better color scheme.

15. Tritons macrumors 6502

I have G500 that I use for my gaming PC. Really good mouse but had some doble click problems.
    I would like to get gamepad for gaming on retina macbook pro, what do you think of Razer Onza? :)

E: And how controller like this works with games like AC, Witcher 2, Skyrim?

16. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

You won't be disappointed, it'll take a while to get used to the weights but eventually I had put in the heaviest weight possible.
    Otherwise the mouse seemed very light.

17. gentlefury macrumors 68030

18. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

It's what I have been using for the last couple of years as well.

19. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Razer Naga. Absolutely destroys the Logitech G500 I had previously.

No idea what its like under OS X. But then again, why on earth would anyone play any real games under OS X?

20. aevelasquez thread starter macrumors regular

What weights did you start out with?

21. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

I started with no weights at all, but after figuring out, that the mouse was to light and it did not work, I tried all the lightest weights. Then eventually tried making it a little heavier everytime I found it to be too light.

And now I am using the heaviest weights, which I think you will too eventually, it's whatever you prefer though. It took me a while to get to the heaviest setting.

22. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

I can't recommend any of the wireless and/or laser mice being listed here. They all have some degree of latency or tracking issues. All laser mice on the market have acceleration built into the sensor at a hardware level (doesn't matter what you set your drivers to) and tend to have jitter on a lot of mousing surfaces. Make sure you avoid any dual-sensor mouse like the plague.

I've been using Razer DeathAdders as my primary mouse for years now, and I've yet to find anything better. They have some of the best ergonomics in my opinion (never had a Logitech that didn't give me wrist/finger pain after prolonged use) perfect tracking when used on a mat, and the lightest click action.

I've tried a number of other gaming mice and always end up returning to the DeathAdder. (currently a DeathAdder Black Edition because I don't want any LEDs)

Do you even need the drivers installed? The mouse defaults to 1800 CPI, 500Hz polling and zero acceleration, which is the optimal configuration. (9ʺ for a 360° turn)

A good choice if you turn the polling rate up, and are a low sensitivity player that's happy with a 400 CPI mouse. (41ʺ for a 360° turn) Personally I would still prefer to use the DeathAdder set to 450 CPI, but it's probably not worth replacing the mouse with one if you're happy.

A heavier mouse will slow your reactions, you're better off taking all the weight out of the mouse that you can.

That said, it can be helpful for players that have their sensitivity set too high (less than 10ʺ or so for a 360° turn) or play with acceleration on. (can never return to starting position)

23. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

RAT 9. I know wireless isn't the best recommendation for gaming, but I don't like to be tied down.