To anyone who has a iPhone 5s!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macdude2010, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Macdude2010, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Hello,
    So I got my 5s on friday, and I noticed something with the vibration, when it vibrates, it makes this loose sound, now, I think it actually is the silent switch making this noise, because it goes away when I cover it, if you listen closely to the audio, you can hear this higher pitched noise, almost like a rattling, does your phone do this? One thing I discovered, is it only does this on silent, when there is no red line, it doesn't make the noise, so it only makes the noise when the switch is on the bottom with the red line

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3viomsdryivocki/5s Vibrate.mov

2. D35P3R4T0 macrumors member

My iPhone 5 had the same problem. Put a case on it. Problem solved.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I certainly think that is a defect, though I don't own an iphone anymore, my iphone 4S did this but I didn't care enough to get it replaced. If you think it bothers you, definitely take a trip to the genius bar and have them take a look. Make sure you make an appointment first.

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

5. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I recorded it while it had the case on, Speck Candyshell.

6. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

My top power button rattles when I shake my phone. I haven't had an iphone in a while, is this normal? It kind of bothers me. Should I bring it in to apple?

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

It's the camera lens. It's meant to be like that.

Has been since the iPhone 4S.

As a test, open the camera app and focus on something, now shake the phone. It should be silent. That's because the lens move ever so slightly when not in use so they can focus on something when they need to.

8. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Nope, its coming from the other side and only stops when I put my finger on the vibrate switch.

9. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

If its a loose power button (which is now normal) then its NOT an issue. But the OP can test the vibrator out by holding down the power button slightly.

10. dominic252 macrumors member

Mine does this, as did my 5 and I'm pretty sure my 4. Don't know anyone with a 5 or 5s that this doesn't happen to. It's normal

11. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I have used a few 5's, the first time i heard this is on my 5s. It rattles while vibrates because of the vibrate switch.

12. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I did notice that the power button is loose, but it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the loose vibrate switch. One thing I discovered, is it only does this on silent, when there is no red line, it doesn't make the noise, so it only makes the noise when the switch is on the bottom with the red line

13. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Probably defective. Get it exchanged. The iPhone 5 and 5S use the exact same vibrator.

14. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I think its the switch vibrating against the casing of the phone, the vibration motor seems to be fine, also, AT&T won't do exchanges, so I'd have to get a white box.

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Then do it now. White boxes are currently new, not refurb, because they haven't had time to take in and recondition any returns. If you wait a couple weeks, then the remanufactured units will start populating the white boxes.

16. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Well, you can return it all together and just re-buy it. No harm in doing that. I actually am quite aware that AT&T doesn't do exchanges on iPhones anymore. They make you go to Apple. If you just want to return it, you have to pay a $35 restocking fee.

17. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

The one thing is, I'm not sure if it is worth doing that, If you had a screen, side and back protector already installed (side protector is the sticker boy one you melt on the edges with a hairdryer), would you do it?

18. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

So all phones have a loose power button? Man that sucks. I find it annoying.

19. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Last year they were having problems with the sleep/wake button becoming defective after use. Perhaps this way it can be preventive.

20. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

To jabingla2810 you listen.

He knows what he is talking about.

21. swish2351 macrumors 6502

NOPE. It's the Sleep/Wake button.

22. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

The funny part is You DONT listen. We've said multiple times that it is the power button at the top. But you're always right..... Keep thinking that.

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Well, I wouldn't melt ANYTHING onto my iPhone with a hair dryer. :|

But I have exchanged an iPhone under warranty even with a full body protector.
    Pretty much every Apple store in just about every Mall in the US has either a Zagg or Ghost Armor kiosk outside of it. usually when I buy my iPhone, I go to that kiosk and get my protector there. Then , if something happens I peel off the protectors, get it swapped and then replace it at the same kiosk (nearly all will gladly apply a new one for a small fee if you keep the bits of the old one and turn it in to them).

24. bdzer macrumors member

I actually went and scheduled a Genius Bar appointment for my loose rattling power button. I can hear it rattle when I record video and move around, the video even records the sound and it interferes with the video. It is also bothersome, in general, to have a rattling noise on my phone. The "genius" had me unlock the phone (since I have a passcode) and he took it to the back to take a look at it, came back and said there's nothing wrong and that it's the "vibrating motor." Yeah, sure. I place my finger on the power button and move my phone and it has 0 rattling, when I let go it rattles like a maraca. I then asked him if he could open it and try and fix it for me, and he told me that he had just opened it and everything checked out fine. Another lie, he gave me my phone back unlocked and into my settings. If he opened it it would have been turned off, and on again which would request my passcode which he doesn't have.

25. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I just want to reiterate something, yes my lock button is a bit loose, but it doesn't bother me and has nothing to do with this. What IS the problem is the vibrate switch making that noise when it vibrates when it is loose, could we please stay on that instead of going off to the common lock button