Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
... can you simply switch back your data plan yourself that same day?

With the 4S jailbreak coming out in the next few days that means MiWi will be available :D but AT&T has been sending notices to those who tether that they will be upgraded automatically by AT&T from $30 unlimited or $25 data plans ----> $45 tethering plan :(

So say I have the $25/mo 2 gb plan:
-- I'm using MiWi to tether and AT&T catches me
-- AT&T upgrades me to the $45/mo tethering plan
can I simply log online to my AT&T account and change my data plan back to the $25/mo 2gb plan that same day to avoid the higher cost and continue tethering?
:confused:

Or perhaps even simply call AT&T customer service and have a rep change me back to the $25/mo data plan? :confused:

I was wondering to get this answer from someone who has (hopefully) been through this already and can tell me yes this is true based on personal experience dealing with this.

Couldn't find anything on this situation reading through the various tethering threads.

Thanks for anyone who can help me with this :)

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
You probably could, but if AT&T finds you tethering again, they're liable to out you right back on the tethering plan.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
You probably could, but if AT&T finds you tethering again, they're liable to out you right back on the tethering plan.

Yeah I was thinking that too... but I really wouldn't mind changing my data plan back every couple of days **if this works** since I check my account that often anyways.

Last edited:

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
If you are on a tiered plan I don't think they will even look at your account. I believe everyone who has gotten the text has been on unlimited. That is unconfirmed.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
If you are on a tiered plan I don't think they will even look at your account. I believe everyone who has gotten the text has been on unlimited. That is unconfirmed.

Hmmm that is interesting, and wonderful if it's true! :D

I'm not sure though, I hope someone who has been through this experience could respond.

If its true that they don't care if you tether (via jailbreak) on the $25 data plan... That just might be a great excuse to finally make the switch from $30/mo throttled 'unlimited' data to the $25/mo 2gb data (with free jailbreak tethering)...

Anyone out there been through this situation already???

Last edited:

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
I still dont get why you need to pay more to tether... Here, in Canada, all carrier don't give a damn what you do with your data as long as you don't bust your limit.

I use my iphone data on my ipad all the time...

JeffreyDJ

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I still dont get why you need to pay more to tether... Here, in Canada, all carrier don't give a damn what you do with your data as long as you don't bust your limit.

AT&T does at least give you 4GB of data on the tether plan (double the 2GB).

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto

Still doesn't compare to 6gb for 30$ with tethering. If you don't need to tether and don't need more than 2gb than you are getting scammed. It would not supprise me if AT&T started charging more for people who use bluetooth link cordless phones at home with there cell phones.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

at&t = American telephone and telegraph
That is all.

Just kidding, but it seems that all carriers screw us in the US

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008

They aren't really giving you anything. Because you could always tether on the tiered plan and go over by 2GB and you get the same data for the same price as the tethering plan but on those months where you don't go over 2GB you aren't stuck paying for double data you don't use.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
It would not be beyond either my understanding or AT&T's understanding that multiple offenses of you breaching your contract agreement with them would result in the termination of your service entirely, and the possibility of you no longer being able to use their services indefinitely.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
While they could force you back up the the tethering plan, I think those with the unlimited plan are their real targets. Anyone who regularly uses their smartphone and tries to tether will blow past 2Gb quick and be subject to paying for additional data.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I still dont get why you need to pay more to tether...
If AT&T forces you onto the tethering plan does that get you out of your contract?
"Terms of service" is something that applies to both comments above.

It won't get you out of your contract as tethering (without a tethering plan) is prohibited by the TOS that you apparently didn't read yet agreed to. You'd be the one breaching the contract, not at&t.

maverikv

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
"Terms of service" is something that applies to both comments above.

It won't get you out of your contract as tethering (without a tethering plan) is prohibited by the TOS that you apparently didn't read yet agreed to. You'd be the one breaching the contract, not at&t.

So if I breach the contract that gives them free license to alter its terms in any way they see fit and have it still binding to me?

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
No if you breach they have to follow the terms set up in case of breach. Should they deviate from the terms set up in case of breach then it is a negotiation and you have full rights to negotiate what you want. Dont accept their terms unless it is in the origional contract as what happens in case of breach.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.