To anyone who is looking to acquire an iPhone X on launch day with IUP or Carrier Financing.. read !

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr.Bigglesworth, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Mr.Bigglesworth macrumors regular

Mr.Bigglesworth

This only applies to people who are going to use the IUP or carrier financing for the FIRST time to acquire the iPhone X

The process with Apple requires a back round credit Check. And you must have a credit card with a good amount of monies in it ( available funds )

Carrier financing doesn’t require none of it.

The thing is, if you’re looking to get the phone in Nov.3rd, these options will not Work.

The process requires additional information inputed which will waste precious seconds.

The only option to getting the phone in launch day, I am sorry is by buying it outright.

This is something I was tying to avoid but alas , it will not happen. Carrier financing/IUP has too many steps and screens ( first time ! Not for people who are already on it ) that you can’t skip. Wasting precious time.

Hopefully this will help ! So no surprises.

2. snatefinch macrumors member

I have pre-ordered an iPhone in the past while joining a payment plan for the first time and did not have additional steps to deal with. As long as you are currently with the carrier and not joining them for the first time there is no issue. They are just adding additional items to my bill, they already know everything else about me because they have had all my information.

3. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

I thought signing up for the first time meant reserving one at your local store when the pre-orders go up as you have to do the credit check in-store.
    This means that it depends how many your local store receives and how many are allocated for the IUP program.

4. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

Say I decide to order 8+ now with the IUP program, then decide to cancel or return the 8+. Am I then signed up and able to order the X with IUP on launch day?

5. solo118 macrumors 65816

I do not see how this can be an issue. I called Tmobile, and I said since I do not have any financing at the moment will I have an issue on Oct 27th, they said no. Just order online and you will be good to go.

6. pcorrado macrumors 6502

I always thought the stock is “reserved” and ship date “set” once added to cart. Obviously there is a time out process but I imagine that as long as you get it added and start checking out Right away - you are ok.

7. macrumorsperson Suspended

Unfortunately not the case- every year there are those who see launch day delivery in their cart but by the time they get a confirmation email, it has slipped back quite a while.

What the OP is referring to is that if you are already an IUP customer, you can pre-preorder a few days before the 27th and fill in most of your info. If you are not already on IUP, you will have to go through the entire application process the morning of the preorders.

8. pcorrado macrumors 6502

I see. That sucks.

9. macrumorsperson Suspended

Yep, so your best bet may honestly be to buy outright if you are not currently on IUP. Here is a photo of the email I got for the iPhone 8: https://ibb.co/dkW3vm I confirmed with a sales rep on Apple’s chat site that the same will be true for the X

10. madgalaxy macrumors regular

You all are aware that on the Apple Store app you can pre-enter all your carrier information to save time entering it later? Also if you are paying in full the system will STILL contact your carrier during the check-out process.

The only way to do a straight check out is to buy unlocked - which I am not sure the X will be available unlocked at launch.

11. macrumorsperson Suspended

That is false. If you are already an IUP member, you get one-click ordering the day of pre-orders.

12. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

As I understand it, T-Mobile requires you complete the iUP process in the store, other carriers you do it all online as you order.

13. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

This OP is completely incorrect. Those on the IUP will be able to be preapproved and only require one click from the app on launch night, similar to those who did it for the iPhone 8 launch.

14. madgalaxy macrumors regular

I was not referring to previous IUP folks, simply the "buying outright" process the OP mentions.

15. dwendz23 macrumors member

I preordered my 7+ last year and financed through the Apple iPhone Payment program for the first time. I received my phone on launch day and there was no delay in the order process. Delete this.

16. idealcheese macrumors regular

Conflicting info here. I was planning on joining IUP to pre-order the X, but not if it means wasting precious seconds. I wish there were a way to get fully confirmed intel about this.

17. macrumorsperson Suspended

I can confirm for you the following from the apple rep I chatted with (and you can confirm yourself by doing the same): If you are already in the IUP, you will get to pre-approve your purchase sometime the week of the 27th and have one-click ordering the night of pre-orders. If you are new to the IUP, you will have to go through the whole approval process the night of pre-ordering, which will naturally take more time. Here is a screenshot of the conversation I had confirming the first part of this: https://s1.postimg.org/6nmd8oey33/C4_C2_B694-_B5_D8-4454-_B885-04342851506_D.png
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2017 ---
    My apologies, I misunderstood.

18. dwendz23 macrumors member

Are you sure the approval process takes place during the actual ordering? I placed my order last year and everything went through right away, and it seemed that my credit was approved for financing after placing the order. I did not experience any lag time that showed I was awaiting approval while placing the preorder.

19. macrumorsperson Suspended

Right, so if you are currently a member of the IUP, Apple started allowing pre-approvals for the iPhone 8 (customers went in as early as the Tuesday before preorders officially started and entered all information, then on preorder day, they could launch the app and literally click "complete order" and were done). My mom went this route for the iPhone 8 and said it was literally one button and done. If you are newly applying to the IUP, you do not have the ability to do this one-click ordering process and must go through entering your social security number and running a credit check all during the preorders on the morning of the 27th.
    To further clarify, there is nothing wrong with either method. You will get a phone either way. The difference is that if you are currently on IUP, you save some precious seconds.

20. dwendz23 macrumors member

I am not currently a member of IUP, but I went with the Apple iPhone Payment program for my 7+ last year. It requires financing through Citizen's One, but does not include AppleCare like IUP. It was my first time financing, and it did not seem to run a credit check while I was ordering. It seemed that this was approved after the order was placed, and I did receive the 7+ on launch day (which as you all know was rare).

So can anyone else who has gone with Apple IUP verify whether they had to wait for a credit check while they were preordering in the past?

21. macrumorsperson Suspended

I did the IUP last year for my 7+ and it did run the check before I could order. I did still get it on launch day, it was a 7+ 128 gb black (not JB). If you are looking to enroll in the IUP this year, I guarantee you it will require a credit check before you can place your order. This may still allow you to get the X on launch day, however it will require additional time. Since you just did carrier financing last year, it doesn't require a credit check before ordering, however the IUP is different.

22. dwendz23 macrumors member

Got it, thanks. Do you know how long your credit check took?

23. macrumorsperson Suspended

Fortunately it is a relatively quick process. I would not let this deter you from joining the IUP, I think you will be ok for launch day delivery if you are quick.

24. dwendz23 macrumors member

Yeah, I've never not received an iPhone on launch day, so hopefully I can say the same this year. Thanks for the info!

25. macrumorsperson Suspended

Sure thing! Best of luck-