To Be Completely Fair: Bad Things Obama Has Done?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bobber205, Sep 7, 2008.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Just to be fair, Obama isn't the black jesus we've all been waiting for. ;) (He might be close imho :D)

I think it would be fun to bring up things that obama has done that are "bad". Like double standards, stuff like that. I can only think of two things so far.

1) Saying kids are to be left out of this, but then having his kids on stage during the monday night DNC.

2) OMFG. Not raising his hand to his chest?!?!?!?!?!?!?! During the pledge of allegiance. Please. :rolleyes

Any others? Debunk or show proof.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

1. Supporting the Office of Faith Based Initiatives
    2. Taking a pretty lame stance on equal marriage rights
    3. Voting for FISA

There's a few more, but I can't think of them at the moment. But quiyte honestly, we've already covered them at length in this forum. Even with all this, he's far and away still better than McCain.

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

He meant that bringing up personal issues for any of the candidates should be left out because it has nothing to do with politics, which is what the election is supposedly about.

Remember that when he brought his kids up on stage at the DNC that was prior to Palin being chosen as VP candidate. Regardless, I don't see how that makes his firm stance on leaving personal issues out of the political arena hypocritical like you are suggesting.

4. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

IMO

#1) he's worked with churches in the past and that might be the reason. I think it's ok as long as they don't get any special preference or anything

#2) Yeah. Full rights for everybody and the ability to call it "marriage". I don't think he would veto AGAINST a bill for it though.

#3) I don't like this... one thing I wish he would change his mind on. ;) But I need to more honestly. I had to google the term b/c I was not familiar with the acronym.

5. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

And I'm sure if it was his daughter who was pregnant he'd have paraded the redneck father on stage too :D

Hey, that don't matter, after all it's not like McCain was wearing a lapel pin during his acceptance speech :eek:

[​IMG]

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

4. Failed to promote real universal healthcare.
    5. Has said he plans to reconsider his Iraq timeline.

7. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

There are a lot of things I dislike about Obama's policies. I do understand a lot of them, though.

He's trying to win an election and in the US that means pandering to people.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I've heard he was once a community organizer.

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Addressing AIPAC: "Jerusalem will remain the capital of Israel and it must remain undivided."

10. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

My opinion only: Israel can suck it. :D

11. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I agree with all of those.

I may understand some of those decisions, but I still wholeheartedly disagree with them.

And IMO, only the FISA flip is in the same league as almost *all* of McCain's decisions.

12. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I forgot to give an answer to the spirit of the thread:

The only real substantive thing that I don't agree with Obama on lies in the details of his energy policy -- he hasn't made a real effort to ensure the public that he will seriously look into upgrading the nuclear energy infrastructure in the US. I think nuclear energy is the way to go and the complete lack of him mentioning it is a bit worrying to me.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

On faith based initiatives he has worked successfully with churches before and they can be a good way to build communities so I'm ok with it.

Then on gay marriage, something that was very successful in the uk was to call it a civil partnership not marriage but with the same legal rights and that reduced the religious opposition to practically zero.

That may be true but I think it's just a detail. TBH the US can go a long way just by improving it's energy efficency to equal that of other countries. For example energy labelling on appliances which has been in Europe for 15 years but isn't even in the Chicago smart home in the US.

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

That's why I said it was a detail :)

But I still think that we will ultimately realize that nuclear is the way to go, so it would be wise to jump on the bandwagon now.

Look at France. Almost 80% of their energy generation is from nuclear power. Source

This has made the French use half of the oil they were using in 1973 while still tripling their power output in the last twenty years. Source

With nuclear energy we'd be lessening our dependence on foreign oil, creating jobs right here in the US to build, maintain, and oversee the nuclear plants, and significantly reducing our emissions all at the same time.

We just need someone who can direct serious amounts of resources into such an enormous infrastructure.

15. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Here you can see and hear Obama referring to "his Muslim faith".

around 1:20 or so in

I'm not saying that's a Bad Thing per se, but you can rest assured not a few voters will see it as such. He's been trying very hard to distance himself from that part of his past, and it's probably going to bite him in the hiney now.

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Your second item has been debunked. It was the National Anthem which was being played, not the 'Pledge'! You are not required to raise your hand for that.

I think the gay marriage issue is really something he supports. But, he is trying to lure christian moderate voters. If he does not have to take a position on that during the campaign, he is wise not to do so. I realize this directly impacts a great number of Americans and they would like some definitive knowledge of where he stands on it. The fact he is saying zero is a good sign.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It doesn't matter anyway. The people who think he's a Muslim always will no matter what. It's no longer important. This issue is dead.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What a disingenuous piece of partisan disinformation! You should be ashamed of yourself. You know perfectly well that he is not talking about his faith here, but rather conceding that McCain has not sought to impugn his faith like so many of his party have. To interpret that clip as saying anything else makes you guilty of exactly that which he is allowing that John McCain is not. Are you going to call him "Hussein" now? What makes you say "that part of his past"? Shame on you. Really.

19. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

What? If people really can't understand what he was saying there, they don't deserve to be able to vote. :rolleyes:

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're surprised?

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not really. I'm just disgusted, I suppose, that anyone who considers themselves politically intelligent can be such a traitor to reason.

22. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Obama is the only politician, aside from Clinton, that I enjoy listening too.

Yeah. That claim is ridiculous.

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

US Flag Code

Learn something new everyday. :)

24. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

In all fairness a real universal health care plan would not work. There is too much involved in it. Honestly, if he were to say he wanted "real universal healthcare" I would have not gotten behind him. For me it was the down fall of Clinton.

25. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Maybe when you finish riding around on your stratospherically high horse you can calm down for a bit and pay attention to what I really said, as opposed to what you think I said, as there seems to be a disconnect.

This means: do I think this is a bad thing? No I do not. For further clarification purposes, I view it as a misstatement and nothing more.
    This means that some voters will see his misstatement as a turn-off. Will it cost him some votes? Maybe.
    His father was Muslim turned atheist, his stepfather was Muslim, and he did a fair bit of growing up in a predominantly Muslim country. For better or worse, and for the record I have no position on the matter, the influence is there. He's trying to softball it just like McCain is softballing those aspects of his past that aren't overly kind to his image. He said something he shouldn't have, and some people out there are going to latch onto it.