To Block A Gay-Straight Alliance, Texas High School Shuts Down All Extracurricular

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rodimus Prime, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

https://news.change.org/stories/to-...h-school-shuts-down-all-extracurricular-clubs
    I will beat Lee to one of these stories.
    I may be from Texas but really this is bad. I am not sure what the hell this logic is.

Ban all clubs to stop one that you do not agree with? Really come on. As for the club itself I would not expect many students joining it but then again very few students join clubs like the chess club either.
    I just can not believe the level of homophobia here.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Stories like this make me wonder why in the heck I moved from NY to Texas.

I'm sure they are very proud of themselves.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Believing a certain way is one thing, but prohibiting a friendly group from forming is a jerk move.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- Rodimus, thank you for beating me to it. It means I'm not the only one paying attention. I appreciate that. That said, this is absolutely pathetic. This has nothing to do with "morals". It has to do with hate, and it really needs to stop. I mean really- doing away with all extracurricular activities over gay kids? That is absolutely pathetic.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

We've seen this sort of thing before -- canceling an entire prom just to keep out a same-sex couple, for example.

Yeah. Punishing a whole school in order to enforce your own bigotry: always a good idea. :mad:

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Even more ironic is that GSA is a group that fosters tolerance and unites gay and straight students.

And the people that are supposed to shape young minds and help make these kids better people are choosing to penalize everyone to block this group. Ugly.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I wonder what the Catholic Church thinks? Where's Bill when we need him? ;)

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Trolling Christian dating websites looking for a girlfriend who won't kiss him. ;)

10. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

*Rimshot* :D

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, this is a perfect example of "Christian love" if I've ever seen it. Absolutely revolting. But hey, I hear hate keeps you warm at night.

12. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Don't normally post in here

With that said, what *******s

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Perhaps you could direct me to the part of the article that states Christians are responsible. I must have missed it.

The article also states that the FCA was directed to meet off campus, maybe this new group could follow suit.

14. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Yeah, really. It could be those well-known homophobes...The Pagans! :rolleyes:

I see your point, Corvus, but do you really want to play those odds, considering?

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm...oh gee, I don't know. I haven't heard of too many atheist groups opposing GSAs. The only reason that group was directed off campus was because the school got rid of all of them to avoid the GSA being included. Point out to me the non-religious reasons for this.

16. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Gay-Straight Alliance??

Why are bisexuals excluded ):

17. Rodimus Prime thread starter macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

your welcome.
    What is worse is it is a group promoting tolerance between gays and straight.

Lets face it most people who are gay if you just met them randomly on the street you would think they are a completely normal person doing normal things like the rest of us.

Well do not just the entire state over this. It is well Flour Bluff. It is a pretty backwards area.

18. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

All letters of the LGBT are welcome!!

19. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

In other words, you cannot proffer proof, cite, link, or evidence of your claim and you're just knee-jerk assuming. Gotcha.

The question, however, stands: why can't this group simply form or meet off campus and do their thing? If it's just the mean, evil, & nasty school board doing this, and they enjoy so much popular support, then that pretty much solves the problem, doesn't it?

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

But, the question is, why should they have to meet off campus? And why should all of the other clubs suffer for what is obviously ignorance and hatred?

21. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Actual logic: we would rather hurt all children than extend even minimal human decency to a few children we despise.

Bigot logic: OMG look what those evil gays made us do! This is all the proof you'd ever need that homos are out to destroy everything! They'd rather force us to hurt all children than to shut up and pretend not to exist so as to avoid offending us by being alive.

22. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Are you really that surprised this happened in a place called Corpus Christi?

There's a town somewhere in the midwest were all the streets are named after dinosaurs. I'm sure you won't find that many creationists there.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This could happen in San Francisco and it wouldn't surprise me - the whackjobs are all over the country.

24. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

It's more like cutting off your face to spite your nose. And being a bigot. And stupid. And probably fat.

25. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Heck, we have one of those at our school in Mississippi.