To bootcamp or not to bootcamp that is the question ....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danpass, Aug 12, 2011.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

since I installed the remote desktop client and I can easily log in to the various windows workstations.

Besides installing some windows programs locally what additional advantages does bootcamp bring?

Lion OSX

2. macfan74318 macrumors member

It would be faster? Really only useful if you need to do advanced video, or image editing, or if you play games.

3. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

Doing so to install Lightroom did cross my mind.

But playing with it last night I saw that iPhoto will easily import, display and alter RAW files.

iMovie seems sufficient for video editing and I'm not into games lol

Guess I'll leave it off, thanks.

4. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yup, for most users Parallels or another VM solution is the right approach. Bootcamp is much more specialized, I think. Well, if you are technically savvy enough to manage a vm. If not, I suppose Bootcamp is so simple even my mom can do it.

5. whitehat09 macrumors newbie

I just bought my first macbook but I also installed Windows 7 with Parallels. I considered boot camping windows but after reading a few threads and asking some friends I realized that theres a problem with the graphics card in bootcamp mode. Apparently Windows is graphics card hungry while boot camping and drains the battery life very quickly. If you absolutely need windows optimized to be as fast as it can be (and can deal with the loss in battery life) go ahead and bootcamp, otherwise vm is fine.

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Bootcamp is useful if you want to boot only in Windows, and as others have mentioned, when you need to use the hardware only for it (given that you have the right software to take advantage of it).
    If I recall correctly virtualization programs like Parallels and Fusion allow to also use the bootcamp partition as a Virtual Machine.

I have not have a need to use BootCamp in a while, and I have been using:
    www.virtualbox.org
    (FREE) for a virtual machine.

7. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

If you use windows or linux more often than once a week, it would probably be better in the long run to have bootcamp or a virtual machine where you can run the OS on your system.

8. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

Lightroom is available for OS X.