To Bridge or not to Bridge... that is my AirPort question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by viggen61, Aug 11, 2008.

1. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Ok, so ever since I moved into my apartment about 2 years ago, I've had a Westell 6100 DSL Modem (what Verizon supplied), and an AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11G, not N).

After having tons of issues, I finally got Verison out last week to look at my setup. They fixed some inside and outside issues (squirrels eating the entry cable, entry box damaged, in-house cables installed by Aleander Graham Bell himself, replaced one inside jack), and it's worked a lot better. But, the tech also mentioned to me about bridge mode on the modem.

I had no idea I could, and could not recall that I'd ever set bridge mode. So for a day or two, I ran w/o the AirPort, the modem straight into my LAN. Then I started looking at things, because I wanted my iPhone to be able to connect (and the odd visiting laptop...). I tried a few things on the AirPort Extreme Base Station, and realized that for two years the modem and the AEBS were fighting each other for the PPOE connection (definitely part of my issues...). So, I put the AEBS in bridge mode, and re-connectd it, and all is (mostly) well.

My question is related to security and best practice. The modem has a generic password in it now. I prefer to use stronger passwords, but that is problematic if you have to deal with technicians, either on-site, or remote. The AEBS uses strong(er) passwording, and since it's mine, and I can cut it out of the loop, it shouldn't enter into troubleshooting.

Right now, the modem is doing DHCP for my LAN, as I said, the AEBS is just on "bridge". Would it be better if I set the modem into Bridge mode, and let the AEBS handle the heavy lifting? Is there any downside to this? What is best practice?

I think I'd prefer to use the AEBS as the router, rather than the modem, if for nothing else than the better configuration interface!

:apple::apple:

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Put the modem in bridge mode and use the AEBS FTW. Probably more stable and secure.

3. eriktsnyder macrumors newbie

Westell and AEBS

I have been having quite a few problems with my Verizon Westell 6100 and my Airport Extreme Base Station. The Westell modem works fine with my PC directly connected to it. But then I tried putting the Westell into bridge mode and I get no internet connection. I tried adding in and setting up the AEBS but I still can't get an internet connection. I left the AEBS in DHCP but I was thinking that Verizon is using PPPoE. Could this be what is causing the problems? The Verizon folks actually helped me set up the Westell in bridge mode. And I have tried a couple of other things posted on different web sites with no luck. I am about ready to throw the AEBS out the window.