To buy a Mac Pro 8-core now or Not to buy a Mac Pro 8-core now?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Maestro88, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Maestro88 macrumors newbie

Well - is now the right time to get one of these? Or is there an improved bus setting coming out soon?

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

There are a bunch of posts about this....anyways, I bought mine about 2 months ago and I am loving it. I needed a computer ASAP so I had to get it.

Nobody and I mean nobody here knows when the new ones are coming out...even if they are, I don't think you're going to see that much difference between the newer ones and the ones that are out right now. I read somewhere between 10-20%.

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Performance aside. The entry for eight-cores will be much cheaper when the new Mac Pro does drop. It makes sense that it will go all eight-core with the recent drops in Clovertown and the prices for Harpertown in November.

4. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Not going to see that much difference? Doubling the core makes it double faster. It's all about speed! ... Well, for me. lol

5. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Nobody knows anything. There are no reports, confirmations, or even rumors about a Mac Pro update. It's been 100% pure speculation.

Eventually they will update it, and it will probably be really cool. But there's not even a hint as to when/what that will be.

That being said - if you buy an 8 core now for what, 3500 plus RAM, you probably will be able to get the same thing for alot less when the updates happen.

If you think that a Mac Pro sounds good right now, order it. If you think it sounds good, but can wait a few months, then don't. As to the inevitable question of "but how soon will they update it!" no one knows.

I say January.

6. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

January will bring so much more to Apples table. I don't think MacWorld is the right place for just an "updated" MacPro in January. November it will happen. There's too many new things for them to talk about in January.

7. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Uhh this thread was about the current 8 core vs. future 8 cores. Intel is NOT going to speed up cores to 6Ghz each.

8. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Be sure to realize that when you buy it, the price will drop $200 in 15 days & the speed will increase by 30%.

9. krunk macrumors regular

We're in a no man's land right now. I don't think Apple has ever gone this long without updating a product line.

All bets are off. At this rate, we might end up with a few more consumer products and another 6mths to the already tragically old Mac Pro.....or it could be updated in a surprise announcement tomorrow.

If you have to have one, buy it. If not wait (they are pretty damned old now).

10. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

*scratches head* what's happening in January?

11. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

My Mac Pro still kicks the **** out of every macbook, macbook pro, mac mini, and imac available.

I get the "ire" of some folks here, but even after a year, the Mac Pro is still a extremely powerful machine and the fastest that apple makes.

12. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

13. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

There is absolutely no doubt about that.

14. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Good for you. I bet you bought the iPhone for $600 and want your $200 back too? :D

Ahhh, I love my Mac Pro. The vanilla smell is still there and I love to sit and use it every morning....sweet smell of victory!

15. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Nope. Didn't buy the iPhone, I am not an idiot. In fact I got a little rowdy with some folks over in the iPhone forum because of all the whining.

Smell of victiory....? Ok... :rolleyes:

16. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Not all of us can afford the current Quad-core 3.0Ghz Mac Pro ...

That is why we wait for an "entry-level" Quad-core offering from Apple.

17. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

That is because you are comparing a server to laptops - yes every Mac outside of the Mac Pro is a laptop - Apple does not sell desktops - they sell laptops and servers.

18. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Wait wait wait. Mp's are very long in the tooth and long overdue
    for major upgrade.

19. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

We don't need an entry level Quad core. All we need is a headless iMac with a desktop core 2 processor.

20. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Lets not start that again.

21. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

What are you talking about?

Stop whining about a Mac Pro update. There is nothing available to update the already super fast Mac Pro.

22. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Whoa... Ok buddy. This is a thread about the Mac Pro. Not the headless iMac thread. And where did I whine? We chat and hang out while we wait. I don't post a whiny diatribe daily about it. Jeez.

Also, maybe you missed the Clovertown price drop. Or the cheaper RAM. Or cheaper HDs. Better GPUs... yeah nothing to update with.

To be honest, I would rather it be November if that means I get Harpertown. But anyway. Chill out buddy and get your facts straight before you fly off the handle and (whine?) talk about your headless iMac.

23. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I am waiting for the entry level Ferrari too.

I guess Ferrari doesn't want my money!

24. krunk macrumors regular

25. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

How about used?
    These are fairly reasonable, for Ferrari at least.

[​IMG]