To buy an Air now? Or to not buy an Air now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by PowerGamerX, Jun 16, 2010.

  1. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

    PowerGamerX

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    #1
    Well, about 4 or 5 months ago I returned my 13" for some drive issues and since I've just been using the same old PowerBook G4 as I had for so many years before it. Now, it's really starting to wear thin (or rather, should I say, I want Team Fortress 2 NAOOW!!!) and I've been thinking about replacing it AGAIN, this time though, I'm looking into the MacBook Air.

    Now, I never use CD's or DVD's anymore, and the portability just seems wonderful to me, even better than my PowerBook. However, looking at the buyers guide, it appears that it will be updated again soon. So I ask you, should I buy now, or wait for a couple weeks. If the next update isn't going to be huge, I don't really care about it.

    Another thing to ask is whether or not I should go refurbished. What are the key differences in the refurb units? Do they look used? Or are they outfitted with nice new body parts to make them look new?

    Note: I get student discount too so I'd be paying about 100 USD less than most people would be. I also have a Cinema Display and mouse, and if I need it, an external optical drive, so none of those are really going to be factored into the purchase, just the high-end MBA.
     
  2. pharmx macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    #2
    I'd make sure the MBA can handle what you want it to do, especially with respect to games.

    If you can wait a few more weeks, then I'd definitely recommend doing that, regardless of how slim the chances of a substantial update are. Just get it before the Back to School promotion is over, and you'll be fine.
     
  3. PowerGamerX thread starter macrumors 6502a

    PowerGamerX

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    #3
    Well, I play... Team Fortress 2 and WoW, both of which were fine on my 13".. Then past that, I use, the internet, and iWork and iLife. It would work great as it is right now, but if I can get better hardware for the same price then I would.

    Unfortunately, this PBG4 is now starting to have problems such as the screen going bad, GPU, kernal panics here and there, I'm guessing I have about a week. :)
     
  4. Spacekatgal macrumors regular

    Spacekatgal

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    #4
    If you want to play TF2, you do NOT want a MBA. I've tried Steam games on it. It's not the droid you're looking for.
     
  5. PowerGamerX thread starter macrumors 6502a

    PowerGamerX

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    #5
    I'd be in Windows and I had it on a same spec. MBP which worked just fine.
     
  6. pharmx macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    #6
    Which MBP has the same specs as the MBA? I'm not trying to discourage you from buying an Air (it's my favorite laptop)...I just don't want you to be disappointed. I think the 13" MBP would be better for your situation, especially as time goes by and games get more demanding with minimum requirements etc.
     
  7. PowerGamerX thread starter macrumors 6502a

    PowerGamerX

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    #7
    All I play is Team Fortress 2 on PC. I have a PS3 for everything else.

    The MBP which I previously had that I had bought in November of 09.
     
  8. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #8
    No matter what your usage, do not buy a new MBA. It is a horrible value. You are much better off finding a refurbished or closeout model for much less money. I would say if you cannot find a like new MBA with 2.13 GHz and 128 GB SSD for $1500, don't buy it. And that makes the 1.86 GHz with 128 GB SSD for $1349 refurbished the only really acceptable price for an MBA right now.

    Apple should at least drop the price accordingly on the MBA if it doesn't want to upgrade it. One last thought. If the MBA will do everything you need and want, and you're not looking for more from an MBA, now might be an okay time to get the MBA. If it gets a big update, chances are the price will skyrocket again. Apple doesn't need to compete in the "secondary ultraportable" market like the iPad now covers anymore. Therefore, Apple should improve its capabilities and jack the price up. It is the only strategy that makes sense.
     

Share This Page