To buy now...or not to buy now. That is the question.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Apollo7011, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Apollo7011 macrumors member

Hello everyone. I am currently a sophmore in college, starting to really get into the field of 3d graphics. I've taken a couple of introductory classes and have loved every second of them. Now my question for all you is...Should I purchase the 15" high end MBP now, or wait for the next update with the quad core processors. At the moment I own a white Macbook (not unibody) and it can't run maya really at all. However, i do have my old desktop at home which can handle maya at the moment, but it greatly lacks portability (not to mention its about 5 years old). I really want to get into it, and start learning the software, but unfortunately im not home all that much and portability is a HUGE issue for me. I would be gladly willing to wait till January for the next refresh. However I have a feeling it won't be released until possibly march (can anyone confirm?). So I can eigther purchase the 15" MBP now, or wait till march which I really don't want to do, and the price will most likely be higher too. Thoughts? Btw I intend on using this computer for 3d graphical work, photoshop, some video editing, and possibly bootcamped for some games.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

January/February is the time that it is most likely going to happen. Apple gets the chips early and the release date seems to be January, it also falls in-line with Apple's updating cycle of notebooks, def. wait.

3. Apollo7011 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply bud! I mean yeah, they may get the chips in January maybe early February, but does that mean they will have the actual notebooks ready for mass production/sale then too?

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Normally with notebooks they are ready that day. Some BTO options might be different, but there is no way to tell. Waiting a month for the iMac is not something common.

5. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Wait till January of Febuary. Arrandale wil probably be ready in the new MBPs by then.