to buy or not to buy: 3g in 60 days?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by z0n3x, Apr 5, 2008.

  1. z0n3x macrumors member

    Feb 9, 2008
    I am currently using a blackberry and an iPod touch for my tech needs. I am very sick of having to juggle both. First off, i have tmobile which initially turned me away from the iPhone due to the rapid updates that countered any unlocking. Pwnage seems promising, but if new hardware is available in 60 days, what's the point? I saw the 60 day post minutes ago as I was walking into the apple store to purchase a phone... needless to say, I left. Any input/advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Also, if 3g is indeed out in 60 days, will i be able to benefit on a tmobile network, specifically in minneapolis?
  2. extraextra macrumors 68000


    Jun 29, 2006
    The thing is if updates don't happen in June, they will most likely happen in the July-November timeframe, so you have to decide if you want to play the waiting game. The MacRumors buyer guide says to hold off unless you really need it. Do you really need an iPhone right this second, or can you juggle your Blackberry and iTouch for a few more months?

    Also keep in mind that 3G may or may not be the only update added to the iPhone. Newer (hardware) features may be added.

    I thought T-Mobile has been in the process of rolling 3G out and their coverage is even less than AT&T's? I don't have T-Mobile so I honestly don't know.
  3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816


    May 28, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Expect most if not all the security holes that have been exploited to jailbreak the current iPhone to be plugged in the new iPhone. Might be a while before a 3G iPhone can be "coaxed" onto different networks.
  4. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

    Aug 22, 2003
    I dont think tmobile even has a 3g network, so the old and easily hackable iPhone will be perfect for you.
  5. z0n3x thread starter macrumors member

    Feb 9, 2008
    Great insight, thanks. I think I will wait to at least see what the new phone has to offer. Best regards. As to tmobiles 3g network, I can't find any maps, tentative build-outs or anything so I'm assuming they are more behind than an actual major summer release
  6. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

    Oct 26, 2007
    Very interesting topic. I would recommend waiting if you already own an iPhone simply because the 3G network is no where near ready in a ton of areas regardless of the press AT&T gives out.

    Add in the fact that there will most likely be a price drop about 1 Year into the iPhone and the 3G network roll out and you got a good deal..

    If you do not have an iPhone asking you to wait an another year might be pushing it, but be prepared to pay top dollar..

Share This Page