To buy or not to buy an refurbished display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cosrocket, Sep 9, 2009.

1. cosrocket macrumors regular

I was wondering if anyone has purchased a refurbished display from the Apple Store and how the experience turned out. Thanks in advance.

2. btownguy macrumors 6502

It depends on how picky you are. I recently bought a refurbished 24" ACD and it had a big piece of dust between the glass and the screen. It was very noticeable to me, so I returned it immediately for a full refund. I tried for a second refurbished 24" ACD and it had a smaller piece of dust, but it also had a dead pixel (stuck on red), so I returned it as well. I just couldn't justify paying $599 for a display that wasn't perfect. I ended up buying a brand new one, but with my education discount ($100 off). The brand new unit was flawless.

But if you're not TOO picky, the refurbished units are great. Packaging was identical to a brand new unit except for the pretty pictures on the white box.

3. illibball087 macrumors regular

no...new is good bc there is a reason why it was returned

4. foodle macrumors 6502

My refurb 24" LED ACD is perfect. So everyone has had different experiences. People return things for all kinds of reasons. For the LED ACD, I suspect a lot of people don't realize that they need mini DP to drive the display. So they buy it, then realize they have no compatible hardware (then rate it 1 star in reviews for their own lack of research :rolleyes:).

5. btownguy macrumors 6502

I could see that on a normal-priced display, but do you think people really buy a $900 display without doing their homework? Seems unlikely to me.

6. cosrocket thread starter macrumors regular

Well that is my one concern, that someone might have returned it due to dead or stuck pixels. Yet as said it's possible to get a perfect one. I once purchased a new Cinema display and had to go through 4 before I got a perfect one so it's possible to happen with a new one as well. Question is how is Apples return policy on refurbished displays. is the return policy the same as on new ones, from what I've seen I believe it is.

7. btownguy macrumors 6502

For me, it the process was the same. I called Apple the same day I received the flawed refurbished unit and said I wanted to return it. I did this twice within a week and they let me do it both times. Funny thing was that the first one just gave me RMA information and I had to pay for shipping that I chose. The second time they actually gave me a link to a pre-paid FedEx label. In both cases, I was refunded the total price once they received them back in their warehouse.

8. cosrocket thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'm going to take the chance. Hopefully if I do get one that's not good I'll have the same experience as you.

9. btownguy macrumors 6502

Please report back your experience. I'm sure we'll all be curious to know.

10. foodle macrumors 6502

Just read some of the posts on Apple support, and you'll see people did just that. They assume that because they bought their <insert mac here> only X months ago, it will be compatible or that there is an adapter. That being said, we'll never know why a refurb display was returned. Defect? Buyer's remorse? Etc. Also, since Apple does do something to the displays before reselling them, they might have fixed whatever was the problem in the first place.

For a $300 savings, I think it's a reasonable gamble ... YMMV

11. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

It is a gamble, but a worthwhile one. Yes, they get returned for a reason, but it could be because the original buyer didn't know about the connector or they just didn't want it.

Luckily, Apple is pretty good about returns.

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Don't, refurbed or not Apple displays are a waste of money.

13. foodle macrumors 6502

Please find me a 24" IPS glossy LCD for $600 then ...

14. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

I bought my 24" LG P-MVA for $350 CAD.

15. foodle macrumors 6502

And I can get a 24" TN for ~$200 USD ...

24" glossy IPS LCD ... the closest would be the HP 2475w (24" matte IPS for around $550 USD).

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

So you found one.

17. foodle macrumors 6502

24" glossy IPS LCD ...

HP 2475w is matte.

18. cosrocket thread starter macrumors regular

Pulled the trigger last night, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

19. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I've always had bad luck with refurbs in general. But, it seems like it might be worth rolling the dice for $600 and saving $300!

While I didn't return mine new LED ACD (instead I sold on eBay) - there are people out there that get it home and realize the glare is too bad to keep it and then return it. But, I'm guessing 75% of them are returned due to dead/stuck pixels, dust, or other "minor" issues.

The good news is you know that each refurb is double checked and tested prior to shipping it out.

Keep us posted. :cool:

20. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I purchased a refurb 24" and there is no dust or pixel problems. Only a small scuff on a corner where the aluminum meets the glass. No problem whatsoever.

21. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Just received my 30" ACD. Don't see any dead or stuck pixels and everyone seems perfect :cool:

22. HaroldC macrumors regular

I just received my refurbed 24" display yesterday and it is blemish free. I've always had good experience with buying refurbs from Apple. My friends have also bought refurb laptops and none have had a problem.

I think of it as a second quality control, after it's packaged from the factory. :)

23. foodle macrumors 6502

24. halfbelgian macrumors member

halfbelgian

Very pleased so far (8 mos) with all my refurb purchases. :)