to buy or not to buy - and WHAT to buy...???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elquejido, Jan 8, 2008.

1. elquejido macrumors newbie

hi all!

I'm a happy mac-owner (12'' Powerbook G4) since 2002.
    but it now seems time for an expansion or a new model.
    I need more RAM (at least 2GB) to emulate windows for website-testing (ie).
    otherwise I would still be happy with my little powerbook.
    I'm now wondering: should I buy a Mac Pro or an iMac and still use my powerbook on the go?
    should I buy a macbook and upgrade RAM and HD, or should I simply buy the Macbook Pro which seems the most comfortable, yet the most expensive solution when comparing what I need to what I pay for.

anyone has experiences with upgrade prices compared to buying ready-made packages, upgrade failures, -problems.
    I've heard that apple's decision for core-duo was not one for more quality, but rather logistically motivated. does my powerbook have the better hardware???

any insights, keywords, comments are most welcome, kind regards, el que...

2. iMan G5 macrumors member

Mac Pro is more expensive then the Macbook Pro.
    I would go with the Macbook Pro.
    The G4 chip was making no movement so they had to change to Intel.

3. elquejido thread starter macrumors newbie

right, my wording wasn't sober. obviously mac pro is another leage - yet in pricing as much as in performance I suppose...

as to macbook pro vs. macbook. I just heard that the macbook plastic cases are thicker and thus supposed to be stronger than the aluminum ones of the MPB series.

do I need to be a pro to do my own upgrading? I do find instructions on the internet, but I'm not sure if I could handle this without ruining the poor little robot...

kind regards, e.