To buy or not to buy now, that is the question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reach9, Mar 28, 2011.


Will you wait for the iPhone 5?

  1. Yes, i waited this long i can wait more

    20 vote(s)
  2. No, it's at least half a year away, i'm not waiting

    14 vote(s)
  1. Reach9 macrumors 68020


    Aug 17, 2010
    In America
    So the latest rumors suggest we won't be seeing any hardware in WWDC '11, which means no iPhone 5 at that time. Wow, Apple certainly threw us a curve-ball.
    Instead they're saying it'll be released around September. It would make sense for Apple to release iOS 5 with iPhone 5, and if that's how the September event will be then i'm willing to wait. I don't think Apple will completely skip iPhone 5 this year though.

    Now, i have an iPhone 3G and have been patiently waiting for the iPhone 5, i was fine until i downloaded iOS 4, and now i'm stuck in iOS 4.2.1, and patiently waiting even more.

    Why the delay? They're saying it's a production issue. This is understandable, but still disappointing.
    I don't understand how the Verizon iPhone, white iPhone 4 or AT&T/T-mobile merger has anything to do with it.

    So my question to everyone who was waiting is this, will you now get the iPhone 4 (black or white) since September is half a year away. Or continue to wait?
  2. iBryton macrumors regular

    Jan 13, 2010
    Either way most people will still wait until the end. /close thread
  3. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

    Apple 26.2

    Jan 1, 2011
    What up, 212?!
    $20 says they'll sell units by the millions...:D
  4. iApples macrumors 65816


    Mar 24, 2011
    Please post an official Apple document stating the iPhone 5 will be delayed until September or later for that matter.
  5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603


    Jun 30, 2008
    Do you understand the difference between a rumor and an official announcement?
  6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    Agreed, right now it is just pure speculation.
  7. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

    Jun 21, 2010
  8. deafphillymac macrumors newbie


    May 29, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    >Update: Japanese blog Macotakara reports that the fifth-generation iPhone will "probably" not ship until 2012 based on the current status of part production.
    According to Chinese source, iPhone 5 will not probablly be shipped during 2011 because the parts manufacturing for iPhone 5 are not started.

    >The site had previously offered relatively accurate information about the iPad 2. The site also reported earlier this month that the fifth-generation iPhone will adopt an aluminum back and a redesigned antenna.

    >Update 2: Macotakara has clarified its original report to note that the fifth-generation iPhone is apparently not set to ship before the end of Apple's fiscal 2011, which occurs in late September 2011.

    >Update 3: All Things Digital and Engadget are hearing similar claims that there will be no fifth-generation iPhone introduction at WWDC 2011.

    I still have iPhone 3GS. I have been expecting iPhone 5 be released in June or July 2011. My 2 year contract is due to be expired on June 29, 2011, although I am eligible for an upgrade to iPhone 4 now.

    Now the announcements above say that iPhone 5 will be released in September and shipped in early 2012. I am frustrated again. :mad:

    Why would Apple be happy to postpone releasing and shipping to later dates? If Apple announces any release, they must be honest to tell truth in making their business good and success what they say and must not delay anything, but the releases of IOS and hardware must be on time to make their business good and success as what they would announce earlier.

    Would Apple be happy to see people getting frustrated and angry and be happy to watch people to flock to PC Windows desktops and laptops, and other cell phones? If so, that's SO SAD!! :(

    I don't know if my 2 year contract with AT&T to be expired in June 29th this year that would be continued or not because of iPhone 5 delaying to Sept or early 2012. I don't want iPhone 4 due to the antenna problem. Must I wait until then? If I am advised to go ahead to upgrade to iPhone 4, I don't want AT&T would require me to sign up for another 2 years which means I can't upgrade to iPhone 5 until Feb. 2013.
  9. gregrose macrumors 6502

    Jun 24, 2010
    Damn dude it's just a phone, chill, relax, go outside & be patient.
  10. mpossoff macrumors 68020

    Mar 21, 2010
    Does make sense for a later release date because of Verizon which would put the iPhone 6 months after VZW released the iPhone 4. Apple would want to satisfy both AT&T and VZW and it makes sense that a September release date is sort of a compromise.
  11. andyx3x macrumors 65816

    Mar 1, 2011
    If it were me, I would go ahead and buy an iPhone 4 now. I still believe that whatever is released this fall will only be a minor upgrade over the iPhone 4.

    4g will not come out until next year at the earliest. Apple is not going to release an iPhone with 4g that has ****** battery life and that most of the world will not have access too.

    If you buy the iPhone 4 right now, you can resell it next year if you decide you want the new iPhone. With the high resell value, you will easily cover the EFT that you face and probably have some money left over to offset the cost of the new phone.
  12. VulchR macrumors 68020


    Jun 8, 2009
  13. tirk macrumors 6502


    Jun 16, 2010
    Wimbledon, UK
    Quite right! This is after all!! :D
  14. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a


    Mar 2, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I have an iPhone 3G. I had the opportunity to upgrade last summer at the release of iPhone 4, but due to the antenna issues and having financial uncertainty in my life, I decided not to get the iPhone 4. I WAS expecting the iPhone 5 to be released in June/July and for me to buy it right away (maybe even be a part of those launch day early morning crowds). I still would wait for the iPhone 5 and expect it to be launched in the fall, if it is in fact "delayed."

    I can't bring myself to buy the iPhone 4, especially with iPhone 5 coming up in a matter of 3-5 months, and especially with the iPhone 4 antenna issue, where putting a finger on one spot on the phone will cause the phone to lose signal strength dramatically in a lot of locations (as far as I have tested with friend's and coworkers iPhone 4s). That design flaw is just too much of an issue for me buy the phone.

    Also, I do believe, the iPhone 5 will not be delayed all the way to 2012, especially with Android phones pushing the bar higher and higher with every new phone that comes out every few weeks, while iPhone hardware will not have been updated for more than a year come this summer.
  15. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020


    Nov 21, 2009
    Up There
    It can be a production issue or it can be Apple trying to catch the competition off guard or Apple decided to launch both the new iPhones and iPods at the same time

    You never know :D
  16. X2468 macrumors regular

    Mar 21, 2011
    It's just a flippin phone.

    Pretty amusing the level of immaturity displayed by those "who can't wait".
  17. Sedrick macrumors 68030


    Nov 10, 2010
    You take that back!!! lol
  18. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

    Jan 11, 2011
    i'm not buying into any rumors. i had enough with the ipad 2 and checking into those all the time.

    i still have a "dumb" phone and will be upgrading to the iphone this summer. if june 6 comes around and there's no official word at all that week about an iphone 5, i may just buy the iphone 4 then. i still think the iphone 4 is the most beautifully designed phone i've seen. but i have a 4g ipod touch and i can hold off for a while if necessary.

    but if they have some sort of intro for iphone 5, which i believe they will since apple works like clockwork, and things don't just fall apart at the last second like this for them (as these things are years in development by the time of introduction), then i'll just wait til whenever that is coming out. i suppose i could wait until september or so if needed, but i honestly don't think the iphone 5 won't come out this it will come out in june/july.
  19. DiamondMac macrumors 68040


    Aug 11, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    I am going to get the iPhone5 if they allow me to continue being grandfathered in with my unlimited

    I actually WANT a 2-year contract so AT&T keeps giving me unlimited for 2 more years
  20. Merkie macrumors 68020

    Oct 23, 2008
  21. Alaerian Guest


    Jan 6, 2005
    A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
    I was really looking forward to updating this summer. If they don't release the iPhone next gen this summer, I'm dropping Apple all together. I will smash my MacBook on the driveway and throw my iPhone into the Mississippi river next time I drive over it. It's just completely unacceptable to make me wait.

    Nah, I kid I kid. ;) I still have my iPhone 2G. I've waited this long, so a little longer won't hurt anybody.
  22. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020


    Aug 17, 2010
    In America
    Agreed. I'm still tugging my iPhone 3G along, who knows maybe it will be worth it.

Share This Page