To Buy or Not To Buy! That is the Question! Please Help Me Decide.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mawsoccer, Aug 6, 2009.

?

Buy, Keep(Buy AC), or Wait?

1. Buy the new one.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Keep the old one and get AC.

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. Wait for Snow & Possible Ubgrades (Possibly miss BTS and for sure miss Tax Free)

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. mawsoccer macrumors member

Alright, so I have a maxed out late 2008 MBP 15".

2.8Ghz and 320GB 7200RPM HD. The best money could buy at the time.

Now... they have their back to school promo going and there is also tax free weekend for me this weekend.

Im very tempted to upgrade right now, but is it really worth it?

I can get a my new maxed out one for about $2150 after selling the free iPod and printer.

Things are slow on the selling end for any MB or MBP right now though.

Even though I have a valid and legal install of CS3 with almost every CS3 app and Office 2008, and iLife and iWork 09, I don't know if I'd be able to recoup the cost of the new one.

So... should I go for it and maybe pay a few extra Benjamins if I can't break even, or should I just plop down a couple Benjamins now for AC and then try to sell this and buy a new one after Snow Leopard comes out?

That brings me to another point. Will Apple release updates with Snow Leopard and will the BTS program still be going on when it comes out?

I really need help deciding!!! Please offer your advice.

Don't JUST vote on the poll, tell me why! Sorry for the type... it should be "upgrades" on that last one... DUH!

Thanks!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What is the computer you are going to buy?

If you are not needing anything save. The used notebook market took a large dip across the board. And, I'm lost why you can't transfer the licenses?

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You either have no money-sense at all or an abundance of money. The value of the older models has plummeted significantly due to aggressive pricing on new and refurbished models from Apple. You would be taking a decent hit in the process of selling yours and getting a new one. You won't be able to break-even, not at all. There's also the small fact that the difference between your current laptop and the new ones essentially boils down to a bigger battery and a downgrade in expandability, with the replacement of the ExpressCard slot with a rather disappointing SD card slot.

4. mawsoccer thread starter macrumors member

I would of course max out another 15" to 3.06 and get a 500GB 7200RPM HD.

I could, but I have a second one and I figured I might as well put it to use by getting some money back from it.

Bill Gates, are you saying my current one is better than the newer ones?

Any feedback about the possibility of upgrades w/Snow Leopard?

5. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I don't see the point in buying a new one. You already have a very capable machine...

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

When it comes to expandability, yes. ExpressCard is miles ahead of a simple SD card slot when it comes to what kind of accessories you can use. Of course if you don't use the ExpressCard slot at all then it's not really an advantage or a disadvantage one way or the other.

7. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Keep the older one until you actually need an upgrade. The one you have is quite capable.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Everyone seems to be in agreement, you haven't answered the question regarding why you need to upgrade.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Common sense is in ample supply and high demand on the MR forums. ;)

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Don't get ahead of yourself.

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I never said it was ubiquitous!

12. mawsoccer thread starter macrumors member

I don't really have a good reason. I usually just did it because I buy the all the software every few years and I can usually break even when selling the old one to buy the new one or only spend a little extra.

Still, no one has commented on anything related to Snow Leopard.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Snow Leopard thing is non-sensical, if you are going to buy one this year, buy it now during the promotion. Your computer will only lose further value...

14. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The BTS offer ends September 8th, and most reports that I've seen place Snow Leopard for a late-September release, most likely after the BTS offer has ended. I wouldn't expect any updates for Snow Leopard, at least not for the mobile lineup since it was just updated in June. No one can say with any certainty one way or the other with certainty, so don't expect us to be able to relieve all doubt.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, keep what you got.

16. mawsoccer thread starter macrumors member

Thats the end of the discussion?

Hehe.