Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rastalin94

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
I have decided it that I am finally going to leave the x86 world behind and make that step forward. My question though is whether or not this is a good time to buy. I want to buy a power mac, and at the moment I am thinking of buying the dual 1.25 system - as is - and than add RAM and hard drives from 3rd party to save cost. I just want to make sure that this is an OK time to buy a MAC. I just to not want to buy something that turns out to be dead end technology, and right now the power macs look a little funky with the whole "kinda of DDR RAM" thing. I have a window of oppurtunity here in the near future to get a cheap loan, so it is kind of now, or not for a few months, and I am not sure I can wait that much longer. The 300 MHz iBook I have been using has basically be teasing me with what OS X can really do.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I would personally wait...but that's me. You'd be better off buying an older QuickSilver dual 1GHz, and saving some serious cash, if you have to buy now. otherwise, i would wait.

rastalin94

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
I think you are right, I just went on ebay and saw some dual 1GHz with some nice software for a lot less.

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
Get a Quicksilver Dual 1ghz

Originally posted by rastalin94
I think you are right, I just went on ebay and saw some dual 1GHz with some nice software for a lot less.

Great closeout prices and they look a lot better then the new Powermacs. You should also leave the door open for your PC, i "switched" from a Pentium 1 to an 400mhz iMac DV a couple of years ago, the Mac is great but I am much happier with it + my Athalon XP 2100+ PC too...... It's always good to have a token PC around, especially if your a long time Windows user with a lot of software..... or your into gaming......

P.S. OSX 10.2 will blow you away if you've never used anything but Windows..... just make sure you get a Jaguar disk .....the Quicksilver's may still only sell with OSX 10.1......

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Your signature is so...mainframe. :D Wasn't that statement indicative of IBM's OS/390?

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
there seem to be conflicting signals coming from the whole mac sector right now. apple just released a new powermac line, but we're now being teased with stories about ibm's power4 (which is probably a lot of wishful thinking by those of us who have been waiting for a g5 since about '98). the obviously overpowered and overcooled cases of the new pmacs dont help matters. if you just cant wait any longer, i'd recomend getting a refurbished emac (or used tower) or something like that just to be safe, you can always sell it at a loss of maybe $200-300 bucks if the g5 comes out next month.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: to buy or to wait...

My question though is whether or not this is a good time to buy.

The best time to buy a PowerMac, in my opinion, is pretty soon after they are released... this gives you the most time with the machine before it's outdated.

If you are happy with the new machines and need one now, I'd say it's fine to buy.

People are expecting a "generation jump" or sorts in the future... You should be aware that while this is possible, it may not happy until July/August of 2003. so, bear that in mind.

That being said, it could happen in Feb/March... but it could also take a 1 1/2 years or so.

arn

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
Similar Problem

I actually just got a Powerbook G4 800 MHz this past weekend :D (on a side note, I'm so excited to get it on Friday, but that's chaning subjects :D :D :D). Now, I had the question whether I should wait for the update in a month or Jan. or whenever. Basically, what made me decide to get it now was that I have the money for the top of the line model right now, which may not be true later on. Even if there is a major generation jump in Feb/March, the computer you bought now will still last 4-5 years if not longer, just because it was the latest and greatest mac at 1 point. Just my 2 cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.