To by Refurbished or not to buyRrefurbished... That is the question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chantiedas, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Chantiedas macrumors newbie

Chantiedas

What are your guys thoughts on buying refurbished models of the Mac Book Pro? I see people buying them and getting great deals on here and I know Apple guarantees them but how do they really perform?

I have a friend who brought a refurbished and had to have it fixed 4 times. Have you guys had similar experiences? Is the old reasoning true... someone sent it back for a reason so buyer beware?

What do you guys think? :cool:

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Most people I know have refurbs and never had a problem.

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I've bought 4 or 5 refurb Macs in the last few years and never had a problem with any of them. They've always been perfect.

Some people have had problems with refurbs...but some people have had problems with brand-new machines too, so I don't think that says anything. I typically prefer to save the money and get a refurb.

4. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

I'm writing this on a refurb 24" iMac I bought a few weeks ago. It works great. I have gone both new and refurb in the past and the only difference I could see was the box it came in. I like a good deal and this is a good way to get one. You have the very same warranty either way.:)

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Most of the Apple laptops I've ever owned have been refurbs (along with the majority of my desktop machines too). All have been perfect. Don't even hesitate - just do it!

Ironically, the ONLY machine I've ever had a problem with is my current one - a 17" high-res MacBook Pro bought in 2007 which is suffering from the well-known Nvidia display corruption issue. I bought it new at full price. Go figure. :p

6. Victor Odin macrumors member

More or Less The Same

I've bought Apple new and refurbished. I think they are relatively the same and I'll tell you why.

Let's say you buy new, and something, anything goes wrong with it.

You send it to Apple, and bam, it comes back to you refurbished.

Once it has had service done, it IS refurbed, so by paying the extra $500 or whatever it is, you are gambling that they get it prefect the first time.

And of course, perhaps they will, but they don't have to give it to you perfect the first time.

They allow themselves a great deal of first-ship wiggle room with the warranty, and if you use that warranty ... then your new machine becomes one that has been handled by others and has been pried open in a shop.

And you know what?

You get no refund if your new machine is converted to a refurb two days after use.

If you want to pay the extra cash for the chance that you will have a non-serviced machine for the first year, it's not a bad thing. It is a gamble though.

If your machine needs service for any reason in that first year, you would simply have been better off buying refurbished from the outset because you got refurbished anyway ... but paid a great deal more for it.

This is kind of the way I look at buying a new and pristine machine. It only stays that way if NOTHING goes wrong with it for awhile.

It's actually MORE of a risk, because you are out more money on the mere possibility that it will never need to be shoved in a FedEx box and returned to a bunch of people in a tech shop who don't care about the thing nearly as much as you do.

Therefore, if refurb has something I want for a good price, I get it.

I recently got a 2.8Ghz Refurb Imac from Mapple, bought four gigs of ram Newegg, shoved it in the bottom, and now have a 4Gb machine with a Radeon 2600 that runs graphical circles around the 2.66, 9400M "new" machine that costs more.

Mapple wanted $300 more for an inferior machine (well, the ram cost me $70 so it was more like $230 more).

Say what you want about the Radeon 2600 Pro, but in my initial tests for far, it is about 40% faster than the 8600M GT DDR3 in my 17" Macbook Pro.

For about $1250, I basically have a machine that is pretty much the computationally and graphically equal (if not a bit better on the graphics) to the 2.93 Ghz machine going for $1800 on the Mapple site right now.