To Catch a Predator - Discuss

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by carbonmotion, Dec 14, 2008.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

To Catch a Predator is a reality television show that features a series of hidden camera investigations by the television news-magazine Dateline NBC devoted to the subject of identifying and detaining those who contact people below the age of consent (or individuals whom they believe to be such) over the Internet for sexual liaisons. Men are lured to meet with a decoy under the pretense of sexual contact. The investigations, many of which have been reported by Dateline correspondent Chris Hansen and producer Lynn Keller, are conducted as an undercover sting operation with the help of online watchdog group Perverted-Justice.

I want to know your thoughts about the show, it's methods, and the men that are caught as well as potential issues regarding the legality of the show's methods.

2. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

The only thing I don't like about the show is the constant painting of the pedophiles at people worth less than trash.

They have major problems and should be treated as victims of a disease not like murderers...

Of course I think what they do is gross but still...

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'm sure the "enticing" goes well beyond what a child would do, encouraging extraordinary reactions from the "target", and so, IMO becomes entrapment.

Just more commercial sales.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I agree to an extent, I still believe pedophiles can't really be rehabilitated correctly, there's been several instances of sex offenders re-committing the same crimes, they don't learn.

I like the show because I like to think somewhere out there, someone is like, oh sh*t, that could be me next week...

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Oh, a PSA, then they would not need commercials for support. :rolleyes:

6. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I really have no idea whether it's disease or not.

But personally I see them as scum.

I also see Dateline NBC as bigger scum because their clear intention isn't to catch predators, they just want ratings :rolleyes:

I also think Chris Hansen is a total di** the way he carries his almighty self when he reveals to the pedophile that he's just been punked. He's like that reporter, Richard Thornburg, from Die Hard 1 and 2

7. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Chris Hansen rules. Between him and Angry Vince, Ted doesn't hold a candle to their glory.

Linger longer.

8. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I have no sympathy for any drooling sick that harms a child. and molestation is harm of the worst sort.

Inject them with ebola and sulfuric acid, for all I care. Castrate them with a blow torch. Or fire ants.

That being said, Dateline doesn't perform a service to the community. It is commercial titillation of the basest variety. Were the show a deterrent, they wouldn't keep catching these fick suckers who either know the show, or have been on it once already.

Put Hansen to work cleaning kennels at an animal shelter -- at least then he will be making a positive contribution where his ego cannot get in the way.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Extremely civil of you, old chap.

How about chemical castration as a back-up plan?

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Dateline does this for ratings and it borders on entrapment, if not outright entrapment. The way I see it, they may stop some from acting on their sick impulses and for each one caught, they likely saved a child from a horrific experience.

11. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I know and freely admit I am a knuckle-dragging neanderthal on this issue. And I'm not talking about he-is-18-she-is-16 type cases, as have been discussed previously. I'm talking about predators. So yes, chemical castration is an option. So is nailing their junk to a dead tree with a roofing nail, ignite the tree, and hand them a plastic knife. Method of freedom becomes their choice.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I would normally join you in your lust for vengeance, but it's so much more fun opposing you on this one. :p

13. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

It's not entrapment because they committed what is known in criminal law as a inchoate crime.

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I don't think it is entrapment. What we are not seeing is the pre-conversation with the "child" and suspect. There are fine lines that have been drawn on what can be done etc. There have been a couple of "tests" in the legal realm for which they, they being the police, have to play by.

Carbonmotion: thanks for the link,,,,,, I couldn't think of it at the time I was typing this....

Most of the time Dateline is along for the ride. They just happen to talk to the person prior to them being arrested.

Sure it is about ratings. Why wouldn't it be? I also think if there are enough people watching maybe some of the parents will monitor what there kids do! etc etc.......

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You dont think much of the constitution do you?

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Good God, please don't tell Jimmy Carter this.

He's a f***ing criminal. He lusted in his heart.

Didn't Tom Cruise get farked in this fashion in a recent movie?? :rolleyes:

17. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

'You learn something new every day'

...and today it was something worthwhile.

EDIT- If you're reading this thread and haven't seen the film Hard Candy then you might just enjoy it. Good movie.

18. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Yep. Sure do. and nice try at a derail.

19. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Then let the debate begin!:D

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its not a derail. I beleive theres a section in the constitution (or bill of rights, idk but tahts public schooling for you:p) has a section against "cruel and unusual punishment".

They are still humans, regardless of their crimes, and should be dealt with humanely regardless of the crime.

21. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

First, the definition of cruel and unusual has changed and morphed many times since the days of the Founding Fathers. What was commonplace then would be considered total barbarism today.

And second, I already admitted to being less than rational on this issue. I'm not particularly interested in the "rights" of a child predator. What of the rights of the victim? Or the next victim, as these people do not stop hunting children, ever. There's not (AFAIK) a treatment which stops them.

Apart from a few grains of copper-jacketed lead, that is...

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yes but thats not how the legal system works, and not how it should work in this country.

What good is it if its just as barbaric as the accused?

23. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I'm sorry, there is very little about the legal system as currently practiced in this country that bears defending.

I wish there was a way to guarantee a predator would never repeat the offense. But even if there were, there is still the issue of justice to be dealt out to the predator for the original offense. Saying "I'm sorry, I'll never do it again" does nothing. Nor does putting them in general population for 25-to-life then letting them back out in 4-to-8 for "good behavior".

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm confused. If your legal system "as currently practiced" is a complete sham how do you know that any "paedophiles" are actually guilty of any alleged crimes?

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So talk to your congressmen about upping the guarenteed sentance, dont go spouting sickening suggestions about what you think would be right to do to HUMAN BEINGS.

And don't bother with the "think of what they did to the kid" argument. Its 2008, we SHOULD be past the barbaric ways of an eye for an eye.