To iMac or not to iMac, a journey of needs/wants

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cyrways, Nov 2, 2012.

1. cyrways macrumors member

So this won't be a particularly enlightening post, just wanted to share my thoughts and perhaps get some opinions.

Bought and imac a month or so ago, full well knowing the new one was coming, so don't harass me. I do absolutely love the thing, but it sort of dawned on me my computing needs just aren't really what I thought they were.

I sort of built it all up in my head that i needed a full on computer when in reality I'm more of a consumer than a creator and the iphone/ipad suit most of my needs. The only main thing the imac gets used for is movies and browsing, torrenting, etc, nothing really special.

To further deepen the plot it's

i5 2.7 I added 16gb ram and 256gb ssd, so I am down about $1700 or so.

All of this on a 0% credit card.

So, I thought to myself perhaps I don't need and I shall sell it so I am not so much in debt. And maybe a tv with hulu and netflix would suffice, but that would still be around $800 or so.

But after much deliberation most tv's are abolute horrid screen quality when compared to beautiful ips on the imac.

More than anything I am unsure what I should do, and the closer I get to selling the imac even though I won't use it to it's full potential I feel like I'm selling my first born and there's some unspoken bond. lol

Sorry if you think I'm weird or crazy, after all isn't the internet about sharing?

Thanks for your time. :)

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Keep it. Even if you got a low end MacBook it's still am overkill for web browsing and music etc. just because it has decent specs doesn't mean it's an overkill.

It's a beautiful machine, great specs, amazing screen, and ideal for movies and tv.

Plus your photos will also look great. And I bet it looks well in the space you have it ;)

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I agree, keep it. I have always bought the most powerful machine. Over the years though it has made me wants to always use my computer to its full potential. I still do not max it out but have come to learn how much it takes to really max it out. I believe it has made me more knowledgeable with a computer than I ever though I could be. Keep it and learn.

4. Pie Chips Salad macrumors member

Keep it. Enjoy it. Some how you have convinced yourself you don't deserve it. A computer will have its uses a year from now. Don't feel guilty it's not insane money. People spend a lot on cars, holidays, gambling. even if your usage is low end still nice to have a fast computer at least once in your life. Enjoy and forget about selling and downgrading that sounds like a lot of noise

5. whitesand macrumors regular

The only place it looks like it might be overboard is the 16gb ram as 8 would've been fine and then some...Other than that you've got a computer that'll last you..Great screen, stable operating system, plus all the power you'll need in case sometime in the future you decide you want to do some video rendering or editing while performing another task at the same time...Just the screen by itself is worth it IMHO.