iPad To improve battery life, should I disable WiFi when in sleep mode?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by K-Funk, Dec 3, 2014.

1. K-Funk macrumors member

With Android tablets, while the tablet is in sleep mode, I have had issues with the battery draining significantly due to the WiFi being on. As a result, I have had to go through the trouble of turning off WiFi whenever I put the tablet to sleep.

With an iPad, there seems to be very little battery drain in sleep mode, even with the WiFi on. Will I get any benefit from turning the WiFi off when I put the iPad to sleep? Thanks.

2. rigormortis, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

yeah you gotta stop thinking about android and just move on.

when the iPad is sleeping , it puts the wifi in a low power state. the wifi might not even be on or not at all. someone else who knows more can chime in.

if the iPad is sleeping , it can still respond to find my iPhone

i wouldn't worry about it.

however i want to mention that i tried pinging my sleeping iPad and it was not responding to pings. meaning it could of been disconnected from the wifi network, as soon as pressed the home button ( but did not enter its passcode ) it started responding to pings

if the screen is on, it responds to pings
    if the screen is off , it does not respond to pings.

if the screen is off, it can still be located.

the iPad can go days or even weeks on standby , with the wifi radio on.

i have no there way of proving one way or the other if that wifi radio is on when the screen is off

my windows desktop pc won't respond to pings or samba when its sleeping. the only thing that wakes it up is a magic packet. i can't even rdp to my windows pc when its sleeping.

we have no idea of what magic packet apple uses, if they use one or not

a sleeping iPad can respond to tethering

its wifi has to be on but its partially ignoring the world

it seems to take 15 to 30 seconds of sleep to make the iPad stop responding to pings

3. rapicell macrumors regular

I went to california recently for a week and left my iPad charged at 100% with wifi on. Came back home and it only lost 2% of its battery life.

4. Quaranz macrumors newbie

Quaranz

I normally put my iPad in airplane mode when i'm not using it for hours at all time and it's in standby time. When i don't the iPad loses minimal 1-5% battery percentage or none at all. With Android its another story, i find Android bad in regards to standby time. My Nexus 5/7 2013 lose a chunk of battery life while idly sleeping which is a pain but that's that, Lollipop has fixed it a bit.

5. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I've seen iPads go for 60 days on standby with no usage and still has some charge left. All Android tablets I've tried, 5-7 days after disabling a whole bunch of stuff and turning off wifi while on standby.

You won't have that problem on iPads.

6. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i should also mention that i have a cellular iPad and i never bother turning its cellular radio off when letting it sleep

i wonder if there is a thread with people with iPhone 6+'s debating turning off their radios when sleeping

my playstation vita is another story. keep the cellular and wifi on and its dead to the world after a week it seems

7. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Go to Android wifi settings, and you can flip on the option to have wifi turn off while the device is in sleep mode. No need to do it manually

8. newellj macrumors 601

I usually put my iPads and iPhones into airplane mode but my observation has been that iOS power management is good enough that it really isn't necessary.

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Welcome to iOS, my friend. No need to turn off your wifi. The hardware is designed for the behavior of the software.

10. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

No need to turn off the WiFi when you are not yusing your iPad. I never turn my WiFi off. I have an iPad Mini that I left sitting on my desk for a week and it only lost 1 percentage point after a week. Went from 100% charged to 99% charged.

The only time I turn off the WiFi is when the connection is so bad/slow that
    I switch to LTE.