To people saying that iPad 2 isn't faster than iPad 1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mjmar, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Try updating all apps while using the device normally... I remember that when downloading apps on iPad 1 the device was very much unusable. With the iPad 2 there's no noticeable slow down, it's great!

2. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Totally unnecessary post. First, very few, if any, have said it wasn't faster. Many have said it's not significantly faster. Also, I've never found my iPad 1 unusable when updating apps, but the speed increase you see is no doubt because of the increased memory.

3. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I have my ipad 1 and 2 both with the latest updates for the os and all apps. I see no difference in speeds.

Actually really starting to think of selling the ipad 2.

4. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

OP's just trying to convince himself that the upgrade was worth the price. Everyone should enjoy their iPads and stop trying to "prove" that one model is better than another. I'm personally very happy I chose the iPad 1, but if anyone wants to donate a 64 gig iPad 2 3G to me, I'd gladly take it and give mine to my sister. :D

5. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

When did you get your ipad 1?

6. duk macrumors regular

I had both as well... go try to work with something in garageband, two words, "optimizing performance".
    One says it all the time, one does not, can guess which one doesn't?
    There's a difference for ya.

7. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Garage band...no real use for it. I don't use it on the ipad, I delete it off my macs.

Pages, numbers, keynote, mlbtv, weather channel, ect all work just fine.

8. princealyy macrumors regular

I knowna few people with the iPad 2 and people who work at the apple store who told me the iPad 2 is faster but primarily when it comes to games and currently there isn't much on the market to help utilize the speeds on them.

9. duk macrumors regular

You did say you had "all apps".
    Wait till ios5 comes out, maybe then you'll see a difference.

10. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I bought an iPad 1 after the iPad 2 was announced. Received it the day before the iPad 2 went on sale.

11. michaelz macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I have both. 2 is much faster then 1.

12. ani23 macrumors 6502

Wasn't there a free upgrade for ones received sighing 15 days of release?

13. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Yes, I found something about that, but I bought an iPad 1 on purpose. Besides it wasn't a free upgrade. They would just let you return your iPad 1 for credit, so that you could buy ab iPad 2. You would still have to pay the difference in price, and anyway, I knowingly bought an iPad 1 because it was cheaper and did what I needed.

14. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

Absolutely not true. Just sharing a positive observation. What's wrong with that?

15. shandyman Suspended

try running infinity blade or back to the future episide 1 on them together, you'll see a difference...

16. caubeck macrumors 6502

I notice the difference when I hop between my iPad 2 and my girlfriend's iPad 1. It's noticeable in web surfing and opening apps.

Is it a huge leap? No. Do I enjoy seeing stuff open a bit faster? Yes. Is worth the upgrade? If you like seeing stuff loading a bit faster, I guess so.

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I think of the ipad2 as the ipad pro. Bit faster and has a couple of more features that not everyone needs. Doesn't make the v1 any less capable than it was on March 1st.

18. newdeal macrumors 68020

.."

For all the fuss they made it really isnt that much faster i agree. It seems fadter at first but then when you put apps on it it slows right down. I get lag sometimes when opening folders and web pages definately render nowhere near as fast as that video on engadget showed

19. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I also have both and yes the ipad2 is much quicker and the display is much crisper.

20. Caraj macrumors member

Agree. I have both and only see a slight difference. I was expecting day/night upgrade but it was not there for me.

21. ForumViewer macrumors member

I dont know about you guys but I for one have noticed a huge difference in speed on my iPad 2, coming from an iPad 1. I mean the speed difference was apparent immediately to me.

22. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Nothing, really. But some people have used this as an excuse to say that the iPad 1 will be worthless in 6 months, so it's a bit of a contentious point around here. I think everyone knows that the 2 is in fact faster, but it seems that for most people, it's not "make the iPad 1 obsolete" faster.

23. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Hmmm, I just posted this question in another thread, but I think it's more suitable here.

What do you think is a better deal for a 1st time iPad buyer?...

iPad 1 refurb - $349

- or -

iPad 2 new - $499

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

:)

24. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Depends what you are using your iPad for and if you have the money. If you have the money I'd go with 2nd gen. If you are only going to web browse and not play many games and your a bit strapped for cash go with the 1st

25. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles