iPhone XR To people who’ve switched to the XR, any regrets?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eyeseeyou, Jan 10, 2019.

1. eyeseeyou, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

Current 64gb iPhone X user here seriously considering switching to an xr for the following reasons but primarily for cost of personal feature requirements:

• 128gb (more than 64gbs)
    • Long battery life
    • Single lens, wide angle portrait mode pics
    • Most future proof processor
    • Bigger and better camera sensor

My concerns:
    • Resale value
    • Might be too bulky like my previous plus iphone was
    • Might end up missing true 3D Touch experience(most likely won’t)

My personal use cases are:
    • Pics of family and products to sell online
    • Editing RAW photos
    • Editing video
    • Browsing and social media
    • YouTube sessions

2. Alex.jr macrumors member

Not at all. Best iPhone I’ve ever had. Coming from the 4-6-8 and XS. Go for it!

3. Broadus macrumors 6502a

After 2+ months, no regrets at all. I compared the XR to the XS and XS Max and bought the XR.

4. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Anything you miss from the high res screen or 2nd lens?

5. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

I’d highly suggest to keep your iPhone X at this point. You’ve already spent the money for the X, so cost is a moot point to begin with. All of your other requirements can very easily be achieved with the X. I feel you’ll just be wasting money for no reason. Bit of course it’s your money and you can choose however you like to spend it.

6. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

How can I get better battery life and solve my storage issue without spending a lot more money on the XS/XS max?

7. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

A battery bank and iCloud subscription.

8. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

What size storage do you have on your current phone?

9. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

64GB with iCloud optimise storage turned on. No issues with storage anymore. Paying for local storage don’t make sense to me when cloud storage is so dirt cheap.

10. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

You know what’s strange I set my music optimization to 4gbs and it shows I have 6+gbs downloaded.

Maybe there’s a bug but I had to spend an hour + deleting a bunch of locally downloaded content just to get more than 4gbs of extra space.

Plus I take a lot of pics and don’t want to worry about my storage getting filled up with raw files and video files.

11. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

If your iCloud backup is turned on and optimise storage for everything is turned on then it should all just be fine. I have never worried about storage and I have over 7k pictures at my disposal whenever I like.

Maybe the optimise storage stuff is not working properly for you. Try some troubleshooting steps rather than spending all that money to buy another device which will hardly get you anything. Fix the issue rather than pushing it behind. If you know what I mean.

12. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Can you confirm they’re actully downloaded or are most of those 7k pics just the thumb nails that need to be downloaded before actually viewing them.

This is my case. I have over 10k but a lot of them need to be downloaded before actually viewing them or before I’m able to download them.

13. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

Yes that’s how it’s supposed to work. They’re on iCloud and gets downloaded when you tap on them. How else is it supposed to optimise storage?!

14. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Guess I’m paying for workflow optimization. I really don’t want to wait for iOS to decide on what should be kept locally and what I need to download especially when I’m mixing raw files with video files which are large files.

15. Gamer-Dad macrumors regular

Gamer-Dad

No regrets for me. Hell of a phone (coming from someone who had the X and XS Max)

16. Chuckitall macrumors newbie

Love my XR, coming from an X which I seemed to have Eye strain with. Have not noticed it with XR. My battery seems to last for 2 days a lot

17. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

In that case you’ll always be short of space. The more space you buy, the more you’ll eventually need. That’s just how we are as a species. But yeah if that helps then by all means.

18. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

My previous phone was a 128gb 7 plus and I didn’t have storage issues with that.

64gb is like the new 16gb imo if you’re taking advantage of the camera of you’re iPhone.

4K videos and raw files take up a lot of space.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    Do you miss the 2nd lens or high res screen?

19. agente46 macrumors regular

20. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Is this regarding a general upgrade or switching from an x or other phone?

21. Broadus macrumors 6502a

Nothing, but I don't watch movies on it (I think the OLED screen may be a bit better for that) and haven't needed to do much with telephoto in the past. I also got the 128GB to have plenty of storage.

22. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

Ditto here.

YMMV because you’re coming from an iPhone X.

Battery life is incredible. Adapted to weight/size almost immediately coming from an iPhone 7.

23. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

I've lived with a plus for a while and started to almost hate it lol. I'm sure I'll be fine with the XR

24. Azathoth123, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

If you’re doing product photography, the Halide app can use portrait mode for non-people thingys, so the extra long lens may be good for you. That might be a deal maker for you, but IDK. @akash.nu is giving you good advice.

25. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

One use case I would want to do is use my set of moment lens along with the single lens portait mode to get even more options. Halide app + portrait mode + moment lens.

I completely understand what he is saying and like I've said before I don't want to have to worry about manually moving files to the cloud to free up space nor do I want to have to download them when I want to use them.

I'd like to avoid "not enough storage" is available during photo or video shoots plus my iphone starts to really hang when storage is almost full.