iPhone XR To people who’ve switched to the XR, any regrets?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eyeseeyou, Jan 10, 2019.

1. AlexJoda macrumors 6502a

AlexJoda

But the XR isn’t that much smaller than the XS Max, isn’t it?

2. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

I’m actually noticing more and more apps have long press functionality within the app and haptic touch.

Just not secondary menus on 3rd party apps

3. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

It's a little smaller than the XS Max and little bigger than the XS. Feels pretty good to me.

4. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Honestly when I first took the XR out of the box I almost got it mixed up with my X based off of the appearance from the back.

Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing

5. apolloa, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

apolloa macrumors G4

So far not many regrets. I have got used to it’s size, I much prefer it to the X or XS and it still allows the zoomed screen mode over those smaller phones, the Max for me was just too big.
    It’s a nice fast device, I’m not sold on Face ID but that’s the same for any iOS device, and I’m not sure about its modem performance.
    It does seem to lose my mobile signal more willingly on low signal areas, but that could be my provider too. Again that would be the same for all of this years models.

But so far yeah I do like it. I wanted a bigger device from my 6S, didn’t really want to pay a huge sum of money, and wanted a great camera. The screen is really good too.
    I don’t think many will be disappointed with the XR if they chose it.

Oh and let’s not forget the 128GB option I went for. The sweet spot of storage.

6. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

Which apps are you referring to? Just curious!

7. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

I know instagram is one of them. You can "peek" on IG accounts by long pressing and a haptic vibration will happen.

There is also a reddit app that has similar interactions.

Might be a good idea to create a thread for these types of apps especially if this is the direction apple is headed.

8. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

Yeah agreed. I'm hoping Haptic Touch is greatly expanded because it's honestly not that much different than 3D Touch in the places it is implemented. It actually feels nearly the same, just ever so slightly slower.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

And the fact that Apple said that they would continually improve with the haptic touch on the XR, also says that they likely will continue with this type of technology moving forward, especially that will save the money by possibly eliminating 3D Touch altogether. Either way, very convenient technology.

10. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

Yeah, though I am hoping they continue Haptic Touch on lower cost models and keep 3D Touch alive on the higher end models. I absolutely love my XR, but if I were done with medical school I’d have splurged for the XS no doubt.

11. themarriedmommy macrumors member

I switched from the X to the XR last week based off of the responses in this thread. This was a mistake. The only redeeming quality of this phone for me is the battery life. The screen IS inferior and I can’t pretend I don’t see it. For some reason every time I leave a thread it refreshes. I do not have background refresh on. I don’t know if this is user error, but my X did not do this. I absolutely loathe not having 3D Touch. I also miss the size of the X. So I guess I will drag myself into t-mobile today and exchange it for an XS...

However if I had not had the X prior to this my opinion may have been different, but I doubt.

12. Nisaja macrumors 6502a

I have an X and I feel like buying an XR just because of this thread. I want good battery life.

How much better is the battery life?

13. themarriedmommy macrumors member

10 times better. It’s the only reason I still have it.

14. aue123 macrumors newbie

my current battery stats..

Attached Files:

15. Nisaja macrumors 6502a

What phone is this? Could you take another screenshot of the 24 hour page?

16. aue123 macrumors newbie

the 24 hour page isn’t a good representation because it shows the day prior with battery charge.. but this should give you an idea.. it’s the XR
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2019 at 9:12 AM ---
    and that’s all on LTE... no wifi.. ever..
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2019 at 9:13 AM ---
    and here is my cell tower info for about 95% of the usage..

Attached Files:

17. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

Sadly, I’m getting older and am getting a little bit long sighted with it.

Is anyone using the XR with zoom and bigger font sizes etc? What is it like?

18. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Where exactly are you missing 3d touch?

Also you said you read this thread and it convinced you to switch yet it mentions not having 3d touch on many posts.

19. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

I honestly believe unless you want a bright color or PWM affects you, there are very few reasons to justify buying the XR if you own the X. If I had the X, I would not be upgrading this year. Again, I love my XR, but I came from a 7 Plus and can't justify the extra $350 for the 256GB XS right now. Interestingly, I have spent considerable amount of time comparing and holding my XR with friends X and XS Max, and it't tough to see major differences at all. But again, I didn't spend the previous 12 months with the X.

20. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

There's the thread on choppy video with the XS/XSM.

21. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

I suspect that with the XS successor, they’ll keep on adding the next in miniturized lens and couple it with machine learning to make for a high end optical lens orientated camera system.

The XR replacement I think will stay with one lens, they’ll just double down on computational photography and screen DPI with a significant price cut for XR (which is already fast enough for most people).

22. apolloa macrumors G4

Haha, it’s one of if not the main reason I have the XR. With my eyesight I use zoomed screen mode and bold font all the time, did it with my 6S too.
    It’s great and works as expected. You can certainly tell the difference when turning it all off and going back to the smaller fonts and none zoomed screen mode.
    Go into a store first and try it for yourself. It makes the clock and icons at the top more easy to see too.

The X and XS not having zoomed screen modes are why I won’t buy them, a stupid decision by Apple if you ask me, you have to get the Max if you want those features and OLED currently, and for me the Max is just way too big. I tried it several times in the store. It’s too much of a stretch to use it’s screen.

23. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I hope you’re right about a higher resolution. Though I do think the dual lens system makes it look more premium, especially if they carry over the design from the X. I wouldn’t be opposed to a XR “Plus” with a 458ppi and a dual-lens camera for $799, with a $100 price cut to this generation’s XR.

24. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

So far I don't have any regrets but if for some reason apple enables single lens portrait mode on the X I might be going back lol

25. themarriedmommy macrumors member

I was aware that it did not have 3D Touch. However most people felt it wasn’t a big deal. I however tried it and found that I do miss it.