iPhone XR To people who’ve switched to the XR, any regrets?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eyeseeyou, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

iCloud sounds like your best option here, but remember that it’s a synch function more than a backup. If you delete a photo from iCloud, it deletes them on all your devices so I have been told (I’ve resisted but am signing up for more storage soon). If your images are important, always have a hardware backup.

2. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Ideally, I'd like them available immediately and locally

3. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

I went back to the Xs Max. Screen resolution did it for me. But everything else ... man, the Xr is a great phone ... I’m just really particular with my screens, I should’ve known better, but hey, got to try it myself at least ! I can’t bash on the Xr anymore :p

4. Gamer-Dad macrumors regular

Gamer-Dad

Nada! The XR's screen is plenty crisp and clear.

5. Sparkymoto macrumors regular

Just switched yesterday from the xs max. I really notice the screen after using the max since launch. It's not as crisp and I just find oleds more fluid (hard to explain) otherwise I like the size, easier to carry. If I could've, I would've kept the max.
    I think you're better off with your X if you don't mind the smaller screen IMO.

6. tt061282 macrumors regular

tt061282

I am a power user. I have had every iteration of the iPhone since iPhone 4. That includes both iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c. It includes all regular and Plus models from the 6 up thru the 8. Also includes the X and the XS Max.

As I sit and type in this forum I am staring at a X, and an iPhone XS Max. All this while I'm using my iPhone Xʀ. Since October 26th when I got my Xʀ I have had no desire to use my X or my Max. Idk what it is, but something about it makes it perfect for me.

Screen size is great. Personally have 0 problems with the resolution or the PPI. When comparing to my Max I honestly can tell little difference.

This is honestly my version of the perfect iPhone.

7. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

I know it is for some but for you the 2nd lens or lack there of is a non issue?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    How would staying with my 64gb iPhone X solve my need for more storage?

8. Sparkymoto macrumors regular

I use google photos so don't have an issue with storage. Heck, I'd download them to a hard drive periodically if I had too.
    I would have preferred the X for the screen if I could handle such a small size, but I can't. Getting old I guess

9. Sparkymoto macrumors regular

As far as the 2nd lens is concerned, I guess I can get used to it. The Max has an amazing camera though.

10. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

The max and the xr have identical primary cameras do not losing out much there unless you use the optical zoom a lot.
    Does google photos also delete photos automatically from your local storage? You’d still have to download them to view the pics right?

11. Davidhedge macrumors member

I have to agree 100% screen is really not an issue for me but man...if they put at least 1080p screen this would 100% be the best iPhone ever made.

12. Sparkymoto macrumors regular

No they don't delete photos. [​IMG]

13. Sparkymoto macrumors regular

I agree. A little higher res screen would have been perfect. Even 8 plus res. I loved that screen. I do see the blur with text and it's probably from using oled screens mostly. Either way I am happy with this phone

14. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

So after they upload to google photos where do the photos that are taking up space go?

15. Sparkymoto macrumors regular

I just use the back up and sync all the time. You always have access to the photos.

So every so often I take what's on my device on apple photos and back them up to google photos and delete them from my phone, then I can free up space and never worry. I've never needed more than 64gb this way.

16. Conan86 macrumors 6502

You can choose to delete them or have them still stored locally. I don't recommend going full Google Photos as they do compress some stuff even when you choose "Original Quality" as your backup option.

Through your post, its clear that you would like all your files on your device at all times so just go for the 128GB option. Resell your X while it still holds value. The screen PPI topic is overblown, unless you spend your days pixel peeping all the time, you won't notice a difference. The wide angle portrait mode is really nice compared to dual lens ones but remember, default camera app limits portrait on human faces only.

Resale value is definitely not going to be as good as the true flagships, but it's easier to keep it in good condition since the aluminium doesn't scratch as easily as stainless steel. It is a lot easier to handle as compared to my previous 7 Plus, as long as you don't get a bulky case. I do miss 3D touch a lot to be honest. It is a feature that I got used to but didn't realise I'd miss it till its gone.

Though ultimately I think your use case warrants an iPad since it has a bigger canvas for you to do editing etc

17. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

That’s true and I also have an ipad
    Ok so this process sounds exactly like what I’ve been doing with iCloud.

You still have to manually clear out pictures and files.

18. Conan86 macrumors 6502

Oh, Google Photos can automatically delete them so you don't have to delete them yourself. It has a "Clear Storage" option so you just hit that and it'll clear all photos which were already backed up

19. Rodneyp macrumors newbie

I have none. I have had mine a week tomorrow. I have had a 6s+, 7+, and 8+. This is by far my favorite iPhone ever. This is actually the best phone I have ever had. My wife is sick of hearing me say how much I love it.

The phone came off the charger this morning at 5:20 AM my son and I watched about 45 minutes of a hockey game at dinner and at 10:50 I still have 71% battery.

It’s an amazing device. I normally upgrade every year, but I am keeping this one a while.

20. Starship67 macrumors 6502a

Starship67

Not a single regret here. Best iPhone I’ve owned since the 4S

21. Nisaja macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone X and I'm thinking of doing the same for the same reasons. My main reason however is battery life. I know that the Xr has better battery life, but HOW MUCH better is it? Can anyone who has owned both kindly share how many more hours does the Xr last?

22. 1rottenapple, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

1rottenapple macrumors 68000

I love my xr! The max is in my drawer awaiting it’s fate. Sale or just to keep it.... if your concerned about resale.... invest the money in stocks this thing will sink like a brick in 8 months. But who cares i really like the xr.
    However I wouldn’t upgrade from an x to xr. It’s such a small jump honestly. The money is not worth it.

I jumped to the xr due to the size and also felt insane spending that much for the max. So it’s more of Principle thing. But for most people I don’t recommend going from x to xr.
    It doesn’t automatically delete it. You can “free up space” to delete backup photos, but you have to press this button every time. I usually use the free up space once I transfer the pics to the external hd usually after a vacation. Google photos rock!

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

But here is the thing, you’re never going to get a consistent answer on battery life. Why? Because you’re going to find out that everybody has variable differentials on battery life in terms of how they are using their phone and what for (I.e Media, Apps, settings-Brightness, Low Power mode activated, ect).

24. davedvdy macrumors 6502

Why are so many obsessed with battery life? Yes, it's important, but there are so many battery solutions that
    don't mean switching iPhones to get it. Especially solutions that don't mean sacrificing a beautiful display such as the iPhone X.

25. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Kind of need battery life to power your phone to also communicate with other people. Most people don’t want to carry around a battery pack
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    Also while the xr screen isn’t as high res as the X that doesn’t mean it’s low res or completely garbage.