iPhone XR To people who’ve switched to the XR, any regrets?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eyeseeyou, Jan 10, 2019.

1. davedvdy macrumors 6502a

There are also battery chargers for the car, battery cases, but some of the battery pack solutions are very easy to use and slim as well. I'm not trashing the XR specifically, many are happy with it, but switching off a 1 year old iPhone for some may not be the best solution.

2. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

I had an iPhone 7 Plus with a new Apple battery. I’m a heavy user, self employed and need my phone for work. In order to get the 7 Plus through my day I had to carry a back up battery. Having to make sure two batteries were charged, carrying the extra bulk (especially in the summer when I’m wearing light clothing without big pockets) was a pain in the butt. Now owning a phone that easily lasts through the day is a huge relief.

I also find that the screen on an XR looks far better than any phone with a dead battery :)

3. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

I also like the look of the wireless thin iPhone when it’s not attached to a wire or has a thick battery case attached to it.

4. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

The battery on the XR should also have a longer life before needing to be replaced as it’s not going through so many charge cycles.

5. davedvdy, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

davedvdy macrumors 6502a

I get that works for you, everyone's situation is different though.
    I work where I am near power outlets. The only situation I can see battery life as an issue is at a theme park all day with friends and/or family. In that case, I'd just grab an Anchor battery pack or something similar.

6. Nisaja macrumors 6502a

True, but if they can tell me the amount of extra hours they got out of their Xrs, I can figure out how much more screen on time I can get. I'm not asking how long their phones last. I'm asking how much more, compared to their older phones.

7. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

On average I’m getting approximately 2.5 hours more than my iPhone 7 Plus (new Apple battery).

There’s stuff all over the internet about XR battery life but this seems to be reasonable comparison...

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-xr-battery-life,news-28357.html

8. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

came from 7 plus, one month with the Xr, no regret at all! perfect size and battery life is amazing

9. Sparkymoto macrumors regular

After using the XS Max since launch, it had amazing battery life. I could easily go all day watching videos etc. Switching to the XR I wasn't concerned because of all the reviews I watched that said the battery life is better than the Max. This has not been my experience so far after 3 days. I'm hoping maybe it will get better as it settles down maybe? Comparing to older phones though, it should be better.

10. Agile55 macrumors regular

Agile55

Well that nudged me over the edge, just ordered an XR so now waiting for it to deliver here Tues. plus the return box for my $300. traded in iP7+

11. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Videos potentially may consume less power as the battery is not used when rendering blacks unlike lcd screens, which require a backlight.

12. GuruZac, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

I came from a 7 Plus, so can’t specifically chime in other than I love my XR. I did the 128GB (only have 40GB used at the moment). My wife still has a 7 Plus and we can’t see any difference in resolution. I have several friends with iPhone X and two buddies with XS Max, and we’ve spent time comparing the screens looking at identical images and while there is a difference, they are so little. A couple of buddies said they would have purchased the XR had that been an available option when they bought their X/XS Max. To each their own. The XS models are better in screen resolution and dual camera, but otherwise, the XR is a XS. I’m actually shocked with how nice the screen looks overall. Everything else about the phone is fantastic. For the money, I would say this is the best iPhone Apple has released. And there are countless YouTubers and tech bloggers who echo that sentiment. Apple really did a great job with the XR.

13. Russiaone macrumors 6502

No regrets on my end, even having come from an iPhone XS Max.

The size is just about right. I’ve come to grips with the narrow form factor and notch. The screen looks great and speakers sound greater.

Coming from a 6S Plus, color me one happy camper.

14. Geffen macrumors 6502

I have no regrets, I just upgraded Friday to the iPhone XR 128GB coming from an iPhone 7 Plus 32GB. The battery life by far is a huge improvement. So far the Face ID is fast to unlock the XR and at night it unlocks with no issues. I'm not really missing the Touch ID. The display to me looks as good as my 7 Plus did I really can't tell the difference.

15. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Pretty much made up my mind. Just need to find a solid deal on someone regretting buying an xr to make up for the inevitable drastic drop in resale value

16. Sparkymoto macrumors regular

Why would people sell for that reason? I think people who bought it, bought it because it's the more affordable version of the "new" form factor iPhone. I don't think there's much buyers remorse just from reading this thread alone.

17. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

How long will you keep the phone? If just a year, that's understandable, but I'm willing to bet, you'll still be able to get 50% value back on the XR after 2 years. It's one of the less talked about perks of owning iPhones. Fantastic resale value.

18. matt3526 macrumors regular

I upgraded from a 6s over christmas. I love the phone, no regrets whatsoever. I have the 128gb version, 75gb used (my 6s has 16gb). I went to the store, tried the xs and xs max but couldn't really care for the differences. The xr screen is great, and videos look much the same. over 300ppi the eye can't tell the difference. The OLED makes the contrast a bit better but not £300 better. The battery is superb, even with really heavy use (hours of grid autosport, music, videos etc) the battery has never gotten below 60% in a day. It's a massive step up from my 6s and I have no regrets about not taking the xs. My photos are stunning and I don't have a problem taking portrait pictures of non humans, halide means I can take portrait pictures of anything.

19. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

You’d be surprised
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2019 ---
    In my experience these $1k 64gb iPhone x’s are being resold for around $600 on average so that’s about right.
    I think that reselling the XR might be a little different considering it’s basicallt as “futureproof” as the XS iPhones and definitely more futureproof than the X.
    Yeah I really want to utilize the single lens portrait mode with my set of moment lens. Some of the most amazing mobile portrait pics I’ve seen were of the pixel portrait pics when they added a moment lens. I’ve always wanted Apple to copy that tech and only the XR has it....for now.

20. BigG94 macrumors member

I came from Android to the XR, my first iPhone.

After having to exchange my first one for a new one because of reception issues (which were rectified by the swap), I love it so much I will never, ever own another Android again, and I have absolutely zero issues with the screen. How's that? :)

21. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Hopefully we will get to see some examples here.

22. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

I feel like it’s a pretty niche market. There are more people who care about having the best camera specs more than actually making good use of those specs. The same people who feel the amount of megapixels a camera has automatically produces better pictures than a camera with less omega pixels.

I’ve only seen some examples of moment lens using single lens portrait mode on moments YouTube vids and some in the pixel photo threads.

23. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Completely agree. People worry about the tools way more than their skills.

24. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Off topic but I think most consumers would be surprised if they compared their list of feature requirements/wants to the actual amount of time they use this list of feature requirements/wants.

“I need the latest and greatest with the most megapixels and 2 lens!” Only shoots in “auto” in the stock camera app and uploads to facebook or Snapchat

25. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

F0B77DCE-5F76-4B8D-89C2-DB2876D4849C.jpeg 241CC662-FC4B-43FD-9C4A-E96A36F7E12D.jpeg 50FAF2BB-57A5-4989-ACD9-E191C1239ADF.jpeg
    Here are some Portrait mode shots from my XR using the $50 Xenvo wide angle/macro lens attachment. Filters are all Apple native filters in the photos app. Pics of my family and of a wax museum here in Nashville.