iPhone XR To people who’ve switched to the XR, any regrets?

GuruZac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2015
I admittedly have not owned an iPhone X or the XS, but the iPhone XR feels very premium. More so than the 7 Plus I had that was praised just 2 years ago as Apple's flagship, nearly $1000 device. It's only when compared to the XS range is the perceived premium feel different between the XS and XR. It's an incredibly solid device and I think it undoubtedly has taken away millions of sales of iPhone XS/XS Max phones. If the XR hadn't come out, I would have likely pulled the trigger on the XS 256GB and paid $350 more for that than my 128GB XR.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
For what it's worth, I've found ProCamera app, also $5.99 like the Halide camera app, even better than Halide at taking Portrait Mode shots of non-human subjects. I was a little disappointed with Halide to be honest. YMMV.
I feel like a right idiot here but just grabbed Halide and have no idea how to take a portrait pic of something not human. There was just was too many settings and in all honesty knowing zero about cameras means I basically had no idea what they all were or did.

Can you recommend an idiot proof app that will let me simply take portrait pics of my pets? Like the stock app, point, click - done.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Haptic Touch does replicate most of the 3D Touch functionality. I did find a workaround for selecting text with Haptic Touch: after switching to cursor mode by holding the space bar, use a second finger to tap the keyboard and it’s possible to select text. Selecting text this way isn’t nearly as intuitive or functional as the 3D Touch version but at least it’s a workaround.

Edit: This doesn’t work nearly as well as selecting text with 3D Touch. It lacks the same precision and tends to select more or less text than intended.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
1D413017-10E1-4638-85DD-95DE7C61AFFC.jpeg I
I feel like a right idiot here but just grabbed Halide and have no idea how to take a portrait pic of something not human. There was just was too many settings and in all honesty knowing zero about cameras means I basically had no idea what they all were or did.

Can you recommend an idiot proof app that will let me simply take portrait pics of my pets? Like the stock app, point, click - done.
[doublepost=1547766481][/doublepost]
I came from a iPhone X 64GB to the XR 128gb. My situation is a bit different though. I sold my X to get the one plus 6t and I missed iPhone a month later lol. So instead of paying 1000+ dollars I opted for the XR. I can honestly say I like this phone better then the X. Only thing I miss is the oled screen but not a huge deal to me.
Id probably miss the OLED but not as much as I’d be enjoying a much better primary camera.

Last edited:

GuruZac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2015
The XR is a nice device. I do think there is an adjustment period but I like it more now. Not as nice as a XS Max but it’s still perfectly functional and looks vibrant. I might have been more comfortable skipping a generation but I didn’t want to go without an upgrade. Still not sure on keeping it but most users do love it.
It took me about 3 weeks of using the XR to adjust after using the 7 Plus for 2 years. I still have moments where I wish I would have opted for the XS, but it's a hard pill to swallow that I would have been paying $350 more for the XS at 256GB vs an XR at 128GB, which is all I need (currently only at 41GB of the 128GB). And the XR is such a great phone all the way around. It's only real shortcomings are only obvious in light of the XS. If it were the only iPhone available, the only real knock would be screen resolution. I think if Apple adds additional Haptic Touch to extend to app shortcuts I'll keep the phone for a couple years, but if they don't add any further functionality I'll likely upgrade to one of the more expensive models next year, assuming the 2019 iPhones continue on with 3D Touch.

Reactions: Jovijoker

i-Liam

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2016
I had to go to the XR from the XS max because the XS max screen was giving me eye strain and headaches from the PWM on the OLED screen. The XR doesn’t feel like much of a “downgrade”. The battery life is actually better than the XS max. The XS max certainly isn’t worth the extra 350 over the XR in my opinion after using both.

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I had to go to the XR from the XS max because the XS max screen was giving me eye strain and headaches from the PWM on the OLED screen. The XR doesn’t feel like much of a “downgrade”. The battery life is actually better than the XS max. The XS max certainly isn’t worth the extra 350 over the XR in my opinion after using both.
How much better is the battery life?

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
In terms of my use, I would end my day on about 20-30% battery left with the XS max. With the XR I have 50-60% left. XR certainly is a battery champ.
Wow. So around 30% extra? That's incredible. And the XS Max has a pretty good battery to begin with.

Reactions: i-Liam

GuruZac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2015
After handling a couple of friends XS Max, I kind of agree. It didn’t feel hardly any different overall, just bigger. Screen was a little more vibrant, blacks darker, but you have to go searching for these things. Only two things linger that I really do miss coming from my 7 Plus: 3D Touch and a universal Portrait Mode for anything. I’ve now purchased both the ProCamera app and Halide, and neither one does a good job after using both in several scenarios. I would not purchase either one again. Focos is even worse. At this point, it would take a big update from Apple to add real portrait ability for non human subjects. Obviously this could be done as Google has done it with the Pixels.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I feel terrible about potentially returning the XR as this would be the first time I’ve ever kept an iPhone for more than one generation, but I also am finding it difficult to let go of my 8+. If the XS or XS Max didn’t use pulse-width modulation it would be an easy decision since that would be a definitive upgrade.

Pros for XR:

- New design
- Looks and feels great
- Liquid Retina Display has improved color/contrast that makes colors pop

Pros for 8+:

- Higher resolution display (particularly noticeable in text)
- Looks and feels equally great, also slightly thinner
- 3D Touch works more intuitively and is more functional, though Haptic Touch works fine in Control Center

I use 3D Touch way more often than I thought I did, though I’d actually consider the displays a tie since the XR has ~ 25% improved contrast while the 8+ has a ~ 25% higher resolution. Also, second-gen FaceID is significantly improved over the first-generation version so I also consider that to be a tie with TouchID. For my use I don’t mind the battery life of the 8+.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I feel terrible about potentially returning the XR as this would be the first time I’ve ever kept an iPhone for more than one generation, but I also am finding it difficult to let go of my 8+. If the XS or XS Max didn’t use pulse-width modulation it would be an easy decision since that would be a definitive upgrade.

Pros for XR:

- New design
- Looks and feels great

Pros for 8+:

- 3D Touch works more intuitively and is more functional, though Haptic Touch works fine in Control Center

I use 3D Touch way more often than I thought I did, though I’d actually consider the displays a tie since the XR has ~ 25% improved contrast while the 8+ has a ~ 25% higher resolution. Also, second-gen FaceID is significantly improved over the first-generation version so I also consider that to be a tie with TouchID. For my use I don’t mind the battery life of the 8+.
So returning or swapping out the XR?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
So returning or swapping out the XR?
If you mean swapping out for a XS or XS Max, unfortunately I don’t have that option as I’m extremely sensitive to the PWM implementation on those displays.

Apple’s sales team had offered to extend my return period till the 20th and I ended up putting in my return request on the 10th since at that point I had made up my mind to return the XR which means that I have till the 24th to ship it back. I’m not 100% set on returning it but I would have definitely switched it out for a XS or a XS Max if I had the option. (Actually I wouldn’t have bought the XR at all but would have definitely checked it out in the store and came away thinking it was nice for the average consumer.)
[doublepost=1548197991][/doublepost]I should probably add that I think the issues I have with the XR are minor issues for all but the enthusiasts that end up buying a XS instead. The larger bezels don’t make a difference to user experience, the screen resolution looks fine even if it is a noticeable difference from the 401ppi Plus resolution, and I don’t think the average person uses or even knows about 3D Touch.

Having used the X for a few weeks (then returning it due to PWM) the XR impressively has the same design but these minor differences to me don’t make it feel like a X. The average person won’t care.

Last edited:

KOTN91

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2017
Nope, defo no regrets. Was extremely sceptical about the size when it was announced and was very happy with my 7

However after checking one out in the store I realised the size wasn’t as anywhere near bad as I thought, and coupled with an extremely good deal from 3 (UK) I upgraded from 7 to XR and have to say it’s totally worth it. Observerstions

- Beautiful design, especially in coral, and suddenly makes the 7 look very dated
- noticeably larger and bulkier than a 7 but nowhere near the extent I was concerned about and overall very manageable
- Face ID/gestures just work amazingly well and such a huge step up from Touch ID and the home button
- lots of other nice to haves like wireless charging and better processor/camera
- literally almost twice the battery life

Overall just a fantastic upgrade and defo my favourite iPhone I’ve had! I take back all the negative comments about it!!

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
No regrets at all! Prior to the XR I had an 8+ and figured if I upgraded it'd be to the XS Max or whatever 6.5" phone was offered in 2019. I like big screens and really liked that the XS Max screen is bigger and maintains the width of the 8+ screen instead of being longer but slimmer. I was really nervous about potential XS Max connectivity issues, though (I realize they aren't universal and that the XR had the potential for issues too) and concerned I might end up being someone sensitive to PWM (I've had recent eye issues so I was especially concerned, more so than I might have otherwise been). I knew I could buy the XS Max and see if I had connectivity issues and/or eye issues and return it if needed but the more I read about the XR the more it appealed to me.

I went to the Apple Store, played around with the XR and really liked it. The XS Max is a beautiful phone and I did notice the difference in the look of the screens when comparing them side by side, but the XR screen didn't feel inferior to me, just different. I ended up going with the XR and love it! I haven't had any connectivity issues, I really like the screen size, the quality of the screen is fantastic IMO (the resolution is a complete non-issue for me and looking at the screen on its own I didn't/don't find myself thinking "I wish the screen were [brighter, had deeper blacks, etc.]"), call quality is great, and the battery life is incredible. I got used to FaceID quickly (I loved TouchID so I wasn't sure if the switch to FaceID would be a bit of an adjustment). I also saved over $550 going with the XR vs the XS Max based on the prices + sales tax where I live.

Very happy with my decision to go with the XR.

Broadus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC

Pros for XR:

- New design
- Looks and feels great

Pros for 8+:

I keep my iPhones for more than one generation, so your case would be easy for me: I would keep the 8+ and see what this fall may hold with the iterative update to the XR or to the XS or Max. The 8+ is an excellent phone. I love my XR, but I would not have upgraded had I an 8+.

And with rumors saying that all 2020 iPhones will sport OLED screens, I doubt that the 2019 XR screen will be any different than the 2018 version. I hope that improvements to Apple OLED screens come quickly for users who experience PWM sensitivity, if that is possible with technology.

GuruZac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2015
No regrets at all! Prior to the XR I had an 8+ and figured if I upgraded it'd be to the XS Max or whatever 6.5" phone was offered in 2019. I like big screens and really liked that the XS Max screen is bigger and maintains the width of the 8+ screen instead of being longer but slimmer. I was really nervous about potential XS Max connectivity issues, though (I realize they aren't universal and that the XR had the potential for issues too) and concerned I might end up being someone sensitive to PWM (I've had recent eye issues so I was especially concerned, more so than I might have otherwise been). I knew I could buy the XS Max and see if I had connectivity issues and/or eye issues and return it if needed but the more I read about the XR the more it appealed to me.

I went to the Apple Store, played around with the XR and really liked it. The XS Max is a beautiful phone and I did notice the difference in the look of the screens when comparing them side by side, but the XR screen didn't feel inferior to me, just different. I ended up going with the XR and love it! I haven't had any connectivity issues, I really like the screen size, the quality of the screen is fantastic IMO (the resolution is a complete non-issue for me and looking at the screen on its own I didn't/don't find myself thinking "I wish the screen were [brighter, had deeper blacks, etc.]"), call quality is great, and the battery life is incredible. I got used to FaceID quickly (I loved TouchID so I wasn't sure if the switch to FaceID would be a bit of an adjustment). I also saved over $550 going with the XR vs the XS Max based on the prices + sales tax where I live.

Very happy with my decision to go with the XR.
Excellent to hear and congrats. I echo your opinion of the XR. It’s the best iPhone for the money Apple has ever released in my opinion.

agente46

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
It's so weird only having to charge my Xr once a day and not having to keep it plugged in all day like my old 7+. I didn't charge it for 24 hours and played white noise on my phone overnight for 7 hours and woke up with 20% battery. More people should experience this.

[doublepost=1548264298][/doublepost]
If you can accept the thick bezel, then go for it.
Doesn't matter how thin your bezel is when the battery is dead by the evening. Give me a working phone with a thick bezel anyday. Really a couple mm's lol

Last edited:
Reactions: GuruZac

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It's so weird only having to charge my Xr once a day and not having to keep it plugged in all day like my old 7+. I didn't charge it for 24 hours and played white noise on my phone overnight for 7 hours and woke up with 20% battery. More people should experience this.

[doublepost=1548264298][/doublepost]

Doesn't matter how thin your bezel is when the battery is dead by the evening. Give me a working phone with a thick bezel anyday. Really a couple mm's lol
I've never had to charge any of my plus iPhones more than once a day. The iPhone X had crapy battery life so I was happy to get good battery life again. I can get two days on a charge. The Xr must be a monster.