iPhone XR To people who’ve switched to the XR, any regrets?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eyeseeyou, Jan 10, 2019.

1. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

I mean isn’t a dual camera xr basically another “x” or XS etc?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Right, and that’s probably what Apple will do with the XR this year, if you think about it, they likely won’t add too many new hardware features, because that would only raise the price. I don’t think the XR really needs a lot of hardware changes, but the camera adding a telephoto lens is significant enough for some that they would consider upgrading to it.

3. Fabmac macrumors member

Fabmac

Actually the XR with one Lens makes stunning pictures in some cases better than the Xs ...

4. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I just placed an order for an XR Coral in 128gb. I do have an XS Max and I do love it but I'm struggling with the same problem I always have. I love the idea of a big phone but after I've used it for a couple of months it's just too much for me.

5. iApple_man macrumors regular

iApple_man

Good point. I thought the XR had dual too but nope.

6. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

I think that might cause some confusion tbh.

A cheaper, old iPhone X is still a very very good alternative to anything newer with dual cameras that are also more expensive.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

What makes you think Apple would raise the price if they add a dual camera to the XR? My thoughts are there going to retain the price point at $750 or below, not raise it.

8. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

I am one of those people. I actually really do miss having the telephoto lens.

9. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

Agreed. The XR, as noted in many reviews, can take some more usable portrait mode shots because of the combination of the lower aperture (f1.8 on XR vs f2.2 on XS) combined with wide angle framing of the picture.

10. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

What is the issue you have?

Apple should still be selling the X on their site. Guess they figure selling that would probably outsell the XS lol.. however they still have the option for the 8 and 8 plus.

11. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

SAME! I'm thinking of selling and getting an XS.

12. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Week 2 of x to XR.

No complaints worth mentioning but if I’m nitpicking I do miss 3D Touch slightly but the same functionality is actually present in most of the stock OS areas I used it on the X. Also there is less depth information to use when editing portrait mode pics making cleaning up rough edges around the subject slightly less manageable.

I don’t notice the lower res screen or thicker bezels until I place it directly next year to the X and am actively looking for differences.

13. bj097 macrumors regular

How good is the battery of XR ?
    I dont' gaming or watching videos
    but I am a super fans of listenign to music with my phone.
    I will spend up to 4 hours continuously listening to music, but not turned to the maximum volume of course.

Can I live without bringing a portable charger around with XR? It's my biggest concern..

--- Post Merged, Feb 2, 2019 ---
    by the way, black or white?? I can't decide !

14. Fabmac macrumors member

Fabmac

When I use it a lot , I reach the charger at night at 40% more than 4 hours screen time.

15. saffet macrumors newbie

Dear folks,

Is there any of you who switched to XR and happy with it because you had some serious head and eye problems with X or XS (Max).

I couldn't use XS Max due to some serious dizziness I had. If that condition was a reason of PWM then XR doesn't have it. Low possibility but might that be a reason of Face ID?

Any idea or advice please?

16. MacAlien macrumors 6502

MacAlien

I took advantage of a special to trade in my 8 plus for an xr. Little cheaper monthly bill. Blue 256GB. While the screen feels a little on the darker side, I’ve been quite pleased so far. Still waiting for the elusive longer battery everybody claims but that’d probably involve me resetting a couple things which I’ll eventually get around to.

I thought the FaceID would be both annoying and difficult to deal with, and while it does have some flaws I’ve been pretty happy with how seemless its been to adjust to. Granted, I want the phone to skip the step of having to swipe up to go to the home screen after unlocking but maybe eventually that’ll happen.

Camera-wise, not as strong but barely noticeable. Not really a huge deal breaker for the average user like me! I also haven’t noticed much difference with the resolution like everybody carries on about comparing the 8 plus to xr minus the slightly darker screen.

I do miss the home button but slowly adjusting. It’s not a bad phone. An iPhone is an iPhone. :p

17. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Further update.

At this point I feel like it would’ve made a lot more sense to consumers if Apple had released the XR as the original “X” (with at least a 1080p screen) and that way it would make the “S” on the XS and XS max feel like more of an upgrade.

Aside from the Tele lens and 3D Touch on 3rd party apps, most of the key OS 3D Touch options are present, the general UX seems identical.

No regrets at all aside from the X having slightly better portrait mode pics in some situations although with standard pics the sensor on the XR, which is arguably more important when it comes to editing raw images, is bigger.

18. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

I finally broke down and traded in my 6s. Got the full $200 despite it being not in the best shape. So far no regrets on the yellow 128GB version aside that I still think it's too expensive.........

- I can see that some people dislike the gold colored aluminum case. They should have gone with a more yellowish color there to better match the yellow back.
    - Also, the screen bezels are large. It doesn't bother me because i use a case anyway. But if you don't like the bezels on the iPhone 6s you won't like the bezels on the XR. Make sure to check it out in person because the various images and videos do not represent this.
    - Also I would have preferred to bezels to be yellow like the back or white.
    - It will take me a while to get used to the gestures vs. having a home button but overall it's ok.

19. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

Went from an 8 Plus to a XR when it came out and no regrets at all. Really love the phone. Battery life is much better and I don't miss the second camera lens all that much either.

20. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

I was at school today and compared my XR screen and a friend’s Samsung S8 looking at the exact same web based image. I couldn’t see any difference in sharpness, even looking at some font within the image. The colors, however, were noticeably more vibrant on the S8, although not my forte. They looked overly saturated for me, but to each their own.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 4, 2019 ---
    Quite frankly, if the XR had 3D Touch and a dual lens, I’d be over the moon. I miss both of those features, but otherwise, love the XR. Easily the most interesting iPhone to come out.

21. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

This is a big deal for people who use 3D Touch regularly. Especially to kick in the app specific shortcuts from the home screen or within the apps.

22. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

I’m not saying that a good LCD is better than a good OLED. But there are a lot of poor OLED screens out there and for me they are oversaturated. Sure, you can often improve things slightly by fiddling with settings but it’s still there. Even the iPhone X/XS/MAX is a little oversaturated for my tastes. With something like the XR you sometimes find people describing it as “dull”. What they are actually seeing is more accurate colours. Where this really bugs me is for photographs. I use good quality monitors for work with high colour accuracy and there you can really notice the difference. With photographs on some OLED I describe it as “cartoon-ish”, like you are in Teletubbyland, or in a constant world of Instagram. However, I think a lot of people are so use to the way the likes of Instagram encourages oversaturated photographs that they now prefer it to the real world.

23. eyeseeyou thread starter macrumors 68030

Agreed and that’s why the XR isn’t for everyone. For me I really only “need” it for rich notifications. It’s nice for 3rd party apps but not a dealbreaker.

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

For me, I have to have 3D Touch. I would be willing to trade the telephoto lens to even have 3D Touch, I enjoy it that much since it launched with the 6S. If Apple were to eliminate 3D Touch in the future and pursue a software version as they have with the XR, then I might consider keeping my current device longer just because that feature is very useful to me.

25. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I think it’s possible for a Haptic Touch to get better if they emulate the instantaneousness and functionality of 3D Touch. It’s not there yet but if they get rid of 3D Touch across all models then I’m sure we’ll see major improvements to Haptic Touch.