To Powerbook or Not to Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by joethewraith, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. joethewraith macrumors newbie

    Jun 28, 2004
    I am a high school senior woring a couple jobs which allow me to afford expensive toys. I currently have the original G4 iMac and one of the later G3 ibooks with a brand new logic board. The idea that I am toying with now is selling the both of them and getting a 12" powerbook and 20" sex-monitor. I kind of need a more powerful computer for my film class and the DVD burner would also be useful in this line of endeavors, not to mention the sex factor of the PB. What I'm really trying to decide is when. I can afford to wait a little bit into the school year (september) before making the switch, but not much further methinks, so I'm wondering what you guys are thinking is going to be the next PB update. September seems like it could be a logical time because the iMacs are coming out then and it'll have been out for 5 mo at that point, so I'm watching the rumor mill carefully. I'm wondering what your opinions are on the subject, one of the features that I'm really holding out for is the backlit keyboard (as well as FW 800), so I'm starting to toy with the idea of a 15", though probably not because of the lack of portability. Thanks peeps.
  2. Jovian9 macrumors 68000


    Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    I dabble in film and will be attending film school in a year. My wife bought me a 12" G4 iBook this past Christmas (for this very purpose). We ended up selling it and upgrading to a 17" PowerBook(partially for her school needs also). Though the 12" was very portable, light, and a great machine......I'd recommend you go bigger if you will be working on film (Final Cut Pro, Avid, iMovie, DVD Studio Pro, iDVD, etc..........and for watching films).......not necessarily a 17" but bigger than a 12" Book. You'll be able to get a backlit keyboard also. Look in the special deals section when you are buying (they've recently had some of the new PowerBook lineup in there at discount). That way you can save some cash and invest in a nice camera.
  3. joethewraith thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 28, 2004
    I have a pretty nice camera, and I was going to go with less expensive 12" so that I could get a nice big monitor. Portability is also a big issue for me and the 15" might just be too big.
  4. johng723 macrumors member

    May 31, 2004
    you know, the 15" isnt really that big of a portability issue. I have the 15" and its really easy to carry around. sure it's bigger and slight heavier than the 12" but it has a bigger screen which makes up for it :)
  5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Jan 6, 2004
    well if you are going to get an external monitor anyways, why not save even more money and just get an iBook G4? there really isnt too big of a difference between the two, unless of course they are updated by the time you buy the powerbooks may leap ahead of the iBooks but thats just speculation....sure the powerbooks are sexy, i love mine, but the ibooks are stury and can take a lot more punishment in my opinion, so if you are going to be very mobile with it the iBook may be better for you, even the 14" would be good, then you could get the superdrive, and just a little bit more of screen space
  6. iGav macrumors G3

    Mar 9, 2002
    ditto... I've been carrying 15" PowerBooks around with me since they first appeared (and 14" ones before that) and I've never found them to be anything other than truly portable. ;)

    Even the 17" isn't a particular problem... WinterMute uses his on a daily basis and he's fine with his. ;) he even bought his out for the first MR London Posse meet-up ;)
  7. joethewraith thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 28, 2004
    thanks guys,

    I already have an ibook, but there is enough I like about the pb like built in 802.11g, the nicer keyboard that doesn't scratch the monitor and the smooth aluminum finish plus more power and options have caused a decision to tgo with the PB.

    I think that come mid spetember, if there is no update, I'll go with the 15" and get my beloved backlit keyboard and the larger screen will make less my need for an external monitor.

Share This Page